Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Big Ol' Tiki Bash at Tiki Farm

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

"Big Ol' Tiki Bash" ... that's what we've named the upcoming Sept. 28th party at Tiki Farm. We're estimating well over 200 attendees based upon the email responses and that's looking... conservative!?!

We're hoping to launch our new X-Eyes mug for the event - free to all attendees and inscribed with the event name on the rear. I'm pushing to have the Shag decanters ready so that we can sell hopefully 50+ sets at regular, non eBay retail prices!

Hopeful and some confirmed attendees include: Sven, Shag, Crazy Al, Bamboo Ben, etc. I heard that King Kukulele might be available so if anybody has his email, please have him contact me! I want to email Otto too, but the email address that I have keeps bumping his emails back to me (a little help, please!).

We should be pouring 4-6 various Trader Vic's cocktails (please - don't drink and drive!). I'll be putting out an email via the tiki farm opt-in email list with local hotels and more updates plus posting to Tiki Central whenever possible. Let's do our best to have designated drivers or support the local taxi companies.

Please email me with your questions at [email protected] so that I can get back to you quickly as I don't get to check the tikiroom boards as often as I'd like but I check my emails a couple of times a day.

That's all for now - this thing's getting out of control but that's a good thing!

Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-07-23 22:11 ]

Holden - Sounds like fun. Are all the Centralites invited? And do tell, where is the Farm?

All Tiki Centralites are invited but must get in touch with me via my email as we're sending out special "backstage pass" type necklace badges that will be required to get into the party.

Tiki Farm's at...
1060 Calle Negocio, Suite E
San Clemente, CA 92673
tel (949) 940-1006

I'll send out the address request notice later via my opt-in email list as that's my only way to get in touch with both Tiki Centralites and non-Tiki Centralites. Please don't send in your address info yet! In fact, anybody interested in the party should join the list - it's the only way for me to take care of business and ensure that everyone (including non-Tiki Centralites) receives official invites. You can ask to be removed anytime. To get on the list, go to: http://www.tikifarm.com/html/index.asp and click on where it says "Your E-Mail Address" and enter your email address in the grey block.

When I'm ready for your addresses, I'll send out via our email database an email indicating such plus I'll also post to Tiki Central just to play it safe.

Thanks,
Holden
[email protected]

On 2002-07-24 21:41, smogbreather wrote:
All Tiki Centralites are invited but must get in touch with me via my email as we're sending out special "backstage pass" type necklace badges that will be required to get into the party.

Is anyone up for a trip to Disneyland while we're down there that weekend? This means you, Hanford. 8)

--cindy

Is anyone up for a trip to Disneyland while we're down there that weekend? This means you, Hanford. 8)

Oh, TWIST MY ARM!!!! lol actually if time perhaps I'm there, but it may be a packed weekend for me. I hope to be able to make it to this bash though!

~Hanford

Alohas,
Should be a fun, clean party!

Mahalo,
Bamboo Ben
Bamboo Ben (custom tropical decor)
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-5ish
Sun. 11-4ish (summer only)
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

[ Edited by: bamboo ben on 2002-08-08 08:40 ]

M
mig posted on Tue, Jul 30, 2002 8:24 AM

Damn! I really really really really want to go, but that's the same weekend as Tease-o-rama here in SF. :(

Trader Vic's just ink'd setting up a bar for the "Big Ol' Tiki Bash". Their VP (the big cheese and very good guy Sven Koch) will be tending bar and will be serving the following cocktails
The Mai Tai
The Fogcutter
The Bahia
The Scorpion
1 more - what the hell was it!?
The Queen Charlotte Fruit Punch (non-alcoh.)

Musically, we've ink'd our 1st act. The Eliminators will do an acoustic hawaiiana/surf session! I keep emailing king kukule but they keep getting bounced back!

Artistically... Shag decanters, tiki pole by Crazy Al (still to be confirmed), Jimmy C. (www.kustomart.net) tiki pinstripe panels/tiki shift knobs/possible ltd. edition tiki swizzles, originals by Miles Thompson (www.kooch-e-koo.com), hand-painted tiki mugs by Drew Brophy (www.drewart.com) and the debut of the (hopeful) mondo giant Brian Setzer commissioned tiki mug by the ultra-talented Joe Vitale! There also might be a debut of 2 ultra-high end prints visa vie Doug Nason w/Copro Nason!

The event poster/t-shirts are being designed by Miles Thompson... Miles... u rock!

The gallery showing will likely go from 5 to 8 and the party will start at 7pm.

The main gig though is the party! If at all possible, we're also going to rent out our neighbors vacant 5000 square foot warehouse and if so, we'll start decorating asap so that it's a virtual tiki hell!

Holden

..Trader Vic's just ink'd setting up a bar for the "Big Ol' Tiki Bash". Their VP (the big cheese and very good guy Sven Koch)...

Hey Big Bro,
Didn't you meet Otto before you wrote the Book? Are you loosing your mind?

A.) Yes, I am loosing my mind

B.) I met Otto in 1994. On my wall hangs a framed rejection letter for the Book of Tiki from Chronicle Books dated October '92.
Granted it was not written in it's entirety then, but all the chapters and the concept were in place. I'll show you my 1992 mock up next time.

On 2002-07-31 00:50, bigbrotiki wrote:

..Trader Vic's just ink'd setting up a bar for the "Big Ol' Tiki Bash". Their VP (the big cheese and very good guy Sven Koch)...
Allow me to point, at this point, to a strange point:

First this German guy writes the Book of Tiki.
Then he meets this American who calls himself Otto von Stroheim but whose real name is KURT BRAUN (Why? Don't ask me!).
Finally, after 10 years of shopping it around to American publishers, this GERMAN publisher picks it up.
And now, after Trader Vic's has already been managed by GERMAN Hans Richter for years, a new guy shows up whose name is SVEN KOCH!

It is ull tru, I sfare!

Oh, and what about this guy on Kauai, Peter Schachtschneider???

Tiki uber alles? Mein Tiki? Volkstiki? Have I been the tool of a dark plot to take over the world by ....TIKI?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-07-31 01:03 ]

Well, according to none other than Thor Heyerdahl, the first inhabitants of Easter Island were 'fair-skinned.' This possibly points to extremely rapid German continental drift or indeed - migration... I'm looking into a study grant. :) The tradition continues.

Aloha Big Bro,
You crack me up!

Alohas,
Should be a clean, fun party!

Mahalo,
Bamboo Ben
Bamboo Ben (custom tropical decor)
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-5ish
Sun. 11-4ish (summer only)
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

[ Edited by: bamboo ben on 2002-08-08 08:39 ]

Here's what we're offering up so far for The Big Ol' Tiki Bash
Trader Vic's tiki bar...
We're up to about 10 carved tiki poles...
A mini Easter Island with 5 7 1/2' tall Easter Island Moai...
Gilligan's Island pinball machine...
About 500 feet of tiki string lighting...
Signage by Bamboo Ben...
The Eliminators (60's style surf music)...
King Kukelele (still working out the details but it looks good)...
Lounge/Exotica/Hawaiian tunes...
Commemorative tiki mugs (free to all guests!)...
Gallery Showing featuring...
Shag Decanters & 2 new high-end ltd. edtion prints...
Jimmy C. tiki shift knobs, hand cast swizzle sticks & tiki pinstripe panels
Drew Brophy hand-painted ltd. edition tiki mugs...
Likley t-shirts/event posters by Miles Thompson...
Possible debut of the commemorative Brian Setzer tiki mug...
My nephews cleaning up after you...
1 Free cocktail for wearing a coconut bra all night...(rules apply!)

We'll have tables/chairs set up, a mini overstuffed chairs meets vintage hawaiian furniture lounge (complete with 2 giant old-style Trader Vic's peacock chairs), we're discussing throwing up giant black vinyl wall coverings and painting fluorescent tikis and hitting them with black lights, there's a popular concensus for a jimmy buffet faced dartboard (my personal fav!). That's about if for now - more to follow as soon as it's available.

Holden

J

How about Buffett Bocci - we get the small ball covered with Jimmy's mug and bowl the larger balls at him. You could even offer prizes for direct hits!

Johntiki
:drink:

Holden...I don't know..that sounds kind of boring...so..so UNIMAGINATIVE : ) : ) :wink:

M

Excuse me everybody for my crappy short but to the point tonge-in-cheek comment in German for my German Friend, Sven! Sven my friend, this is for you!!!
"Biss mich!"
Holden

M

Ben,
If we do a pin the parrot... who will be the live guinea pig errr... "parrot pig!?"... errr "parrot head"... errr "margaritaville monkey"...?
Holden

BB

Alohas,
Should be a nice, fun party!
Bamboo Ben.

[ Edited by: bamboo ben on 2002-08-08 08:42 ]

M

A post will come soon on the hotel situations down here for da Bash. They range from $45 to $$$. The $45 one said that they WON'T let me inspect their rooms!
Holden

Aargghh!!!, this thing sounds awesome, if only it weren't on the same weekend as Teaseorama. I find myself conflicted, If only I could fly out to San Fran on Friday, back to soCal on Saturday, and back to SAan Fran Saturday night, just to return to SoCal on Sunday. I'm getting jet lagged just thinking about it.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Aug 6, 2002 2:22 PM

The SCA conference (Society for Commercial Archeology) in Reno is also that weekend but I have decided not to attend my first conference because the same weekend in Reno is "Street Vibrations", when the town fills with Harley riders. Uggh! Couldn't they have picked a different weekend?

So, I have decided to attend Teaseorama on Saturday night primarily so I can see Dixie Evans. Oh, ya, and mig in his gorilla suit!

Hi,
Here's a link to local hotels for the upcoming Big Ol' Tiki Bash.

http://www.tikifarm.com/tikiBash/tikibashhotels.htm

Of all the hotels, Jeff at the Days Inn in San Clemente seemed the most receptive to cutting a deal to people who mentioned Tiki Farm and his rooms are already only $59. I didn't get a chance to go there so I can't tell you about the rooms. More info to follow soon!

Holden

I got a campsite at San Onofre SB. It's at the San Mateo campground, so it's unfortunately 1.5 miles from the actual beach, but the point is that I got a site. Is anybody else insterested in sharing this spot with me? We could have a Big 'Ol Tiki Campout for the Big 'Ol Tiki Bash. Contact me offlist if you're interested in joining me...

T

Two questions:

First, what the heck is Tease O Rama?? And where can I get more info on it??

Second, how many Bay Area TC'ers are planning on driving down for the event at the TikiFarm??

Ok that was 3 questions... sorry... :P

http://www.teaseorama.com

We live to close to camp, but we might visit until Yogie kicks us out!

Holden- Get this: My first day of shooting is August 27th (my birthday), the last shoot day is September 27th...
Now I booked a flight that leaves Hamburg Saturday the 28th early in the morning, and because I will be flying against time, I will get into LA around 3:00 pm on the 28th! So I just have to get my jetlagged butt down there to you, maybe I can hitch a ride with someone...

All this depending on any unforseeable production delays not happening, off course. But I will try my darndest!

Allow me to point, at this point, to a strange point:

First this German guy writes the Book of Tiki.
Then he meets this American who calls himself Otto von Stroheim but whose real name is KURT BRAUN (Why? Don't ask me!).
Finally, after 10 years of shopping it around to American publishers, this GERMAN publisher picks it up.
And now, after Trader Vic's has already been managed by GERMAN Hans Richter for years, a new guy shows up whose name is SVEN KOCH!

It is ull tru, I sfare!

Oh, and what about this guy on Kauai, Peter Schachtschneider???

Tiki uber alles? Mein Tiki? Volkstiki? Have I been the tool of a dark plot to take over the world by ....TIKI?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-07-31 01:03 ]

I bought my copy of The Book of Tiki in Budapest. Didn't find any Tiki Bars. Other bars to be sure, but no Tiki....

Welcome aboard
What the heck were you doing in Buddah pest?
And what kind of store did you get the BOT in?

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2002-08-12 20:24 ]

HH

well I just booked a night at days inn, he gave it to me for $49 a night.10 bucks less then the list price.
man cant wait....

Sven, I must commend you for such an outstanding effort! Should you indeed be able to make it, after such a crazy schedule, perhaps you should just hang-out and enjoy vs. doing a slide show gig!

BambooBen, we need to rethink our crazy "Sven Sighting" plan... hee hee hee!!

We'll keep our fingers crossed! Oh yeah - may I be the 1st Tiki Centralite to wish our guru and just all around excellent guy Sven a pre-birthday HAPPY B-DAY!

Holden

There is a good chance that we might even have a lifesized "Tiki Maze" at the Big Ol' Tiki Bash! Crazy Man!!
Holden

I bought my copy of The Book of Tiki in Budapest. Didn't find any Tiki Bars. Other bars to be sure, but no Tiki....

Man, I love TASCHEN's distribution! There also have been Book of Tiki sightings reported in Norway and in Argentina! Tiki is truly re-entering pop culture thanks to their international net...

Holden, yep, if I make it to your bash, I think I'll just hang and get smashed.

[edited by hanford to make the quote work]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-08-27 20:27 ]

We have two 4'x8' panels with tikis painted on them that you can stick your through and get your picture taken as a girl or boy tiki. We will donate them to this event if anyone can pick 'em up and truck 'em down. If you don't want them Holden, I will offer them to anyone who is willing to cart them away... Otherwise, there is a good chance they will be heading to the trash pile :(

We are in the San Fernando Valley.

Hey CherryCapri!
Those sound great - I will get a truck up there and we'd dig havin' them at the Bash!

If anybody else in OC/LA or SD Counties wants to donate or even lend anything, we'd be happy to hear from you!

The Gilligan's Island pinball machine is getting a tune-up this week!

Holden

Hi Holden,

Don't forget, in addition to those cut-out face panels, I also have 2 giant Moai head paintings which you can have... so that's four 4x8 wood panels for The Bash! The moai heads look very shag-like and are actually a large version of the Howlies logo minus the atomic circles

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri on 2002-08-20 17:09 ]

I'm out of town on a biz trip and will be back in town next Wednesday and I'll get my truck up there late next week! Thanks again - they will have a good home at the Bash!
Holden

So is anybody interested in the Tiki Camp-O-Ree at San Onofre? I have a site and am willing to share with any Bash attendees, first come first served. Contact me offlist if you want to join in the fun. If there's enough interest I might set up a Castaway Cove mobile unit in my big tent...

I surf San Clemete all the time bra. I'm into this tiki stuff. I spray painted one on my board. Is tiki farm a real farm? Do you have animals? This sounds like a bitchen party man. this site is bitchen. I used to deal with chickens in Nor Cali on a farm so maybe you might need some help. Surf was good but the job sucked. I'm stoked on my new job. Surf Tiki

Mr. Tikimaxtom dude,
San o is cool bro. It has nukes next to were you camp out. The waves are good there too. Party on bros. surf tiki

Back to the German tiki connection....There is a German candle company that just put out some cool moai and stylized tiki candles .The company name is STUWA and under the co. name it says handmade in Germany.Check your local candle shop or call Biederman & Co. at 708 446 8150 to see who in your area is carrying them...they are really cool....Biederman is the U.S distributer

tikiluvgirl XXOO______________

[ Edited by: tikiluvgirl on 2002-08-22 08:31 ]

no chickens at the farm. we originally had fun on the voice mail, telling customers that we were out back planting a fresh "crop o' tikis" ...thus came the name. one time a big hawaiian fellow paddled up next to me when i was out surfing his break and he asked me "hey bruddah, you want beef?" to which i kindly replied "no thanks, i prefer chicken" at which point i paddled rather quickly for shore.
holden

HH

did someone say SURF?

Im bringing my longboard, I'll be out in S.C area if anyone wants to hook up sat. morning we can nail down a spot to meet, 1st anual Tikifarm/tikicentral surf comp. :wink:

Woohooo!

We're up to 3 bands, 540' of tiki string lights, a fire breathin' volcano, a mini easter Island with mondo Moai's, the Gilligan's pit, mugs for all, T Vic's paddle swizzle's for all, swanky tunes between bands, a gigantic pre-gallery showing with the Shag decanters, new Shag prints, 3 giant Tiki surfboards, Miles Thompson originals, custom hand-painted mugs, 1 of a kind hand made tiki swizzles & shift knobs... holy camolee - not a lot of sleep for this here farmer over the next few weeks! Rumor has it that the press will be there in full force - so wear those coconut bras! We've got big ol' vintage style Peacock chairs amidst other funky ol' vintage hawaiian style chairs (to rest yer weary buns after gyratin' to The Eliminators!!), we'll have a mini tiki maze entry, a stick your head in the tiki panels thing to look like a giant humanesque tiki, foggers, crazy spot lighting... unbeleebable! Ltd. edition t's will be $12.50, posters $20 (both by the swanky and talented Mr. Miles Thompson - http://www.kooch.e.koo.com).

Guests will be all of our fellow centralites who can make it plus a lot of fun people who are non-centralites, don't know what tiki central is, but have giant tikis in their yards or in their shops and who like potent cocktails and good tunes!

The giveaway gift bags are growing in their contents - surprise, surprise!! The hotels are booking up and are now trying to up their rates because of the "overwhelming bookings" - one guy had a $59 rate, reduced it to $49 and then immediately raised it to $89 - not very tiki if you ask me but I have no control over that.

Attendees: Easily 300 but keep spreading the word as you can never have enough mai tais, tiki centralite party hounds & martin denny cranking from the mondo boom box!

Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-09-01 23:15 ]

Smogbreather,
How many 'one liners you got bro?
How bout you get up and do a stand up between bands? Would be cool!!! You and the Ku Ku. Can't wait for da bash bra! Gonna be da hippest scene of da year!

I'm currently into the "fun for the kids" pirate jokes that are floating around! Say this one to your favorite son/daughter/nephew/niece with the punchline in a pirate's voice:
Q: Where does a pirate go to see Dwight Yokem?
A; At the Grand Ol' Arrrr'pry!

The party is almost here and i still haven't won the damn lottery...so i guess i am stuck here at home...can anyone please buy a miles thompson tshirt for me and sell it on ebay... i would really like one

Pages: 1 2 81 replies