Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Big Ol' Tiki Bash at Tiki Farm

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

I started to work on the fire-breathing volcano today. Somebody better have a hose at the farm. Well to be on the safe side I won't use real fire. FIRE! FIRE! I should also have two big hot-head tikis and if time permits, THE WORLDS LARGEST TIKI MUG. Now if I can do all this and finish moving from OC to the southbay.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-09-12 20:58 ]

hey smogbreather, question ? How do we know u received our email confirmation? and are you sending out maps and reservation/id badges?

Hey Centralites,

We're mailing out invites early next week. Everybody that email'd is receiving an invite ("your name plus guest"). If you've got more than 1 guest coming, it's been noted. Shag/Trader Vic's/Tiki Farm paraphernalia for your gift bags, Chiki's fire breathing volcano, Marcus's Easter Island w/7.5' tall Moais, Gilligan's Island compound/lounge area, a Tiki maze entry and a 12' Trader Vic's tiki bar compliments of Bamboo Ben, 250' (not 500' as I had hoped - too much to rent that much) of tiki string lights, 3 bands, about 10-15 tiki poles, cool lighting, etc..!!! No neck badges though - elegant fluorescent wrist bands will be the badges of honor! No maps will be sent - the invites will have all of the address info; please go to mapquest.com if you need to get directions.

Upon entering the event, either the gallery showing or the party, you'll check-in and receive your complimentary cool, swanky stuff!

The party will be at the following address:

1034 Calle Negocio, Suite E in San Clemente, CA 92673.

We've got a vacant 1500 sq. ft. office area for the gallery and a 3000 sq. ft. vacant warehouse for the party!! We've mixed about 100 tunes that range from Exotica to Rockabilly and Surf for playing in between the bands.

The bands:
King Kukulele & the Friki Tikis opening
The Mag-Neatos (aka the Hot Rod Trio to follow)
The Eliminators to finish

The party shuts down at 1am due to landlord restrictions... enough time to party down tiki-style big time! We've already schmoozed the local fire/police to ensure that this thing doesn't get shut down (San Clemente's a pretty sleepy town).

Be safe and take a cab or have a designated driver! We're estimating over 300 attendees so please lend a hand whenever possible if you can throughout the night as this is big and we're small (tiki farm: 4 employees).

Best & mucho mahalos & see you all soon!
Holden

Back in one of my earlier posts, I asked that for the tiki centralites who wanted to be invited to the party should join my opt-in email list at http://www.tikifarm.com. If you didn't join, then there's a chance that you haven't received an invite. If you're yet to email us with your name/address/guest info, then please send an email to:
[email protected]
and in the subject line, include: Tiki Invite
and in the body of the message include your name, mailing address & the name of your guest.

If you've already sent me this info then there's no need to do it again! We'll accept email invitation requests through noon, Sat. Sept. 21st.

thanks,
Holden

The "Bar of the Year" aka, "Tiki Farm's Big ol Tiki Bash-Trader Vic's Tiki Bar" is going into production! A 12'long, one of a kind. It will be auctioned off the night of the event. There will be a Bamboo framed, hand carved and painted mohogany plaque in the art show (previous to the party)of the bar itself, that will be included in the auction.

Party - Address Change!!!

The new address is 934 Calle Negocio,Suite E! The invites are mailing out later this week so you'll be receiving them right before the event (sorry they're going out so late, we're pretty busy here!). If you don't get one in time not to worry - you'll be allowed entry into the party.

We're receiving a lot of emails with individual questions - we're trying to get back to them all as best as we can. If there's something you really need to know, then please call me at (949) 940-1006 and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Remember - 21 and over only will be allowed! So please don't make the trek if you're under 21. See you at the Bash!

Holden

Can anyone tell me what the number at the Days Inn is? I can't seem to locate a Days Inn in San Clemente. Any other motels/hotels in the area?

I hope that someone from the forum will take photos and post them here so that those of us who are far away and cannot enjoy the party can see all the fun you had. Also can someone take a photo of Miles Thompson as i would really like to put a face to the artwork. I love his art but have no clue who he is really. Have fun everyone...

[ Edited by: fartsatune on 2002-09-19 01:40 ]

We've had this info up for quite some time and have received a tremendous amount of invite requests. We're closing out the guest list tonight (thurs., sept. 19) at midnight, so if you haven't sent in your request, please send it to:
[email protected]
and be sure to include your name/address. If you've already sent in your request, PLEASE DON'T SEND IT IN AGAIN - one centralite sent in a request 11 times and they rec'd. 11 replies...it drove poor lisa and me bonkers!

Food at the Bash? I'm having 50 pizzas delivered at a couple of intervals from 8pm to 9pm.

See you at the Bash!
Holden

Under 21 years of age will be denied entry into the Big Ol' Tiki Bash

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-09-19 17:07 ]

Miles will likely not be in attendance as he is moving into a new home the day before the Bash and his wife is about 8 months pregnant!
Holden

A

Here's a photo of Miles Thompson on the left, with some loser on the right.

-Randy

Looks like Miles has on the shirt posetd in the Hawaiian Shirt thread in beyond tiki, but in blue.
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=976&forum=6&13

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2002-09-20 17:00 ]

Thanks for the picture of Miles Thompson and the loser on the right Aquarj, I appreciate that. I hope you have a great time at the tiki bash.
:)

Hi,
If anybody would like to help out the best thing that you can do is bring some platters of munchies... veggies/cold cuts/anything! I'm getting a half dozen platters of munchies but in all sincerity - I think there will be over 500 people at the Bash!?!!!! I've also got interval'd pizza deliveries from 8 to 9pm. Also, knowing that we mostly compromise the modern mai-tai generation, I'll have a keg of good beer on-hand for $3/beer. Please lend a hand centralites whenever you can - help us out by picking up empty cups, perhaps an ice run if you're a designated driver (if you can be a "runner", I'll reserve you a good close parking spot if you email me at [email protected]) and ganging up on any crashers!!! There's only 4 of us at little Tiki Farm and this is going to be the Attack of the Giant Mondo Tiki!
Thanks!
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-09-21 13:23 ]

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-09-21 13:24 ]

Sven is doing everything in his power to make it back in time for the Bash! He's tentatively going to arrive at LAX as late as 4pm the day of the Bash and head straight for the Bash! So, if he makes it that'll be awesome - the guy will be majorly jetlagged, sleep deprived and probably mumbling in German before his English kicks back in... is Sven our hero or what!?
Holden

Just curious, is there going to be a Tiki Central meeting area? The last TC event I attended was the first OC Tiki Bar Crawl back in the spring of 2001. I didn't get a chance to meet many TC'ers and don't want to let that opportunity pass again!

You can't miss me - I'll be the dude in the Hawaiian shirt holding the Mai Tai....

Polynesian Pop makes a good point. How do we go about meeting up with other TC's? Some of us are going to Al and Shely's pre-tiki-bash-party. Other than that I guess we could have some sort of identifying name badge or secret hand sign.

WAIT A MINUTE! I've got it. Let's do what the gang bangers do with hand signs. Make a 'T' and a 'C' with our fingers at people we suspect are TC's (of course we better be right or we could get our a$$ shot or something).

HH

how's about we post pic's?

Meet at the bar!

NO BEN
Drinks are at the bar
Meat is with the rest of the food
D U H!

What is "spell check", anyways?

Hey Al,

Post some pictures of me, you and Shelly so people will know who to avoid! (just kidding)

I am so excited!

I just booked my ticket and reservations so we can have some New York City representation!

See ya on the Farm...

Hi Good Centralite people,

Tomorrow we commence with the grounds decor/layout/sound checks/lighting checks. We're opening up the upstairs mezzanine to handle the crowds which although not decorated in tiki (we're maxed with our decor supplies for the main 4,000 sq. ft. warehouse area) will be a big old black light area to scope the crowd below and check-out the bands!

All of the art for the gallery is ink'd and is so damned tiki and so much is new and unlike anything ever seen before - I'm absolutely amazed and speechless!! Gallery prices will range from $12 to $4000 for a 3 surfboard tiki mural by Drew Brophy. Unfortunately due to Miles Thompson's moving into a new house on Friday and his wife being extremely far into her preganancy, he won't have anything in the gallery except for the t-shirts. But with Shag, Jimmy C., Drew, Crazy Al, Joe Vitale, Squid, Danny G., Marcus Pizzuti, Steve McGeary, Lincoln... these are all of the local tiki rogues and let me just tell you that never before and maybe never again will there be such a strong showing of tiki!

Be sure to check-out Joe Vitale's famous metamorphasis photos which depict a YUGO being transformed into a giant Moai! Jimmy C. will have anything from "bucket o' tiki shift knobs" through original oil/acrylic works on canvas. Marcus's tiki wall hanging plant holders are awesome, only 100 produced and a steal at $30! Drew Brophy... a damned good friend of the Farm who likes surfing "Big, Gnarly Tubes"... will be hand-painting a surfboard on site and will have 9 of his hand-painted mugs for sale... you should know that Drew is highly collected due to his putting ...Lost on the map and being an amazing extraverted artist but is the most awesome down-to-earth bro. Crazy Al's one-of-a-kind "Harry Tiki" lamp - a crazy Al pole meets a lamp - frickin' crazy!!

Bob & Leroy at Oceanic sent me an email commending the overall modern-day resurgence efforts but they can't make it. But Sven should...might make it! We'll have a special "tiki throne" for Sven in the form of a vintage style giant Trader Vic's Peacock/Burry chair where he can rest his weary bones and suck back (I mean "imbibe") Mai-Tai's.

The Trader Vic's shipment arrived today - it was like a 6' tall giant pallet of goodies!! The Shag stationary sets (part of the gift bags) arrive tomorrow and the Rarotongan mugs cool-off out of the kiln on Thursday.

An illuminated Easter Island... a faux fire breathing volcano, a Gilligan's pit, a mini tiki maze, a full-on 12' Bamboo Ben Trader Vic's tiki bar, full tiki grounds decor, 3 hip bands geared towards lounge/surf/fun & frolic... I'm overwhelmed but more importantly - so stoked (pardon me for my local dialect reference!).

This is my last post before the event - time to hunker down! I've nixed the pizzas and we'll have lots of munchies to graze on and then a big island style offering of teriyaki ribs/chicken/rice and macaroni salad (okay, mac salad - not island but I love mac salad) delivered at 8pm! Much mahalo here for sure to you all!

This is the inside dirt. I'm a little nervous but so looking forward to this. The key is... once it begins - let it happen! To find me, just look for the guy with a grin that is as big as... I dunno...Delaware! Now... good people - let's party down... TIKI STYLE!!

Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-09-25 00:32 ]

Stop it....stop it....stop it!!! You're making all of us who can't make for reasons of geography (or otherwise) green to the gills with envy. The Bash sounds better each time another detail comes out!

Have a blast folks,
Trader Woody
(Who'll be at the British Cheese Festival instead. Sums it up, really)

Gouda for you!
TIKI for me!

I want to go to the "cheese festival" instead of the bash!!!

While you guys knock back rum & cola,
I'll be nibbling gorgonzola!

Trader Woody
Hey, I'm gonna carve myself a chedder moai

smogbreather wrote:

I haven't received my invitation yet -- should I be worrying? Will I have to show an invitation to get in?

--cindy in SF

20 hours and counting..........
If anyone plans on visiting the store (Bamboo Ben), we are closing @ 2:30 on Big ol' Bash day. Normal hours on Sunday (see below). Print this or the other post and get 20% off Sat. or Sun. Big ol' Bash weekend. Party time!!!

does anyone know if its cash only at the art show/sale? I would think not, but I wanna make sure I have enough cash.

cant wait...... Im in long beach right now at my sister house, heading down in a few hours. Got in a quick surf session this morning too :)This is turn out to be a great weekend.

I think cash or check is the way to go. See you there.

I'm HEEEERRRRE!
I made it, i'll be there. Pheeew!

Wel,well, well, look who's back. If it isn't Mr. Sven. Welcome back and see you at the Bash. I just came home to pick up the missus.

Pages: 1 2 81 replies