Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Jade Island, Staten Island, New York, NY (restaurant)

Pages: 1 24 replies

Name:Jade Island
Type:restaurant
Street:2845 Richmond Ave
City:Staten Island, New York
State:NY
Zip:10314
Phone:(718) 761-8080

Description:
(It's been mumblty years since I've been in Jade Island, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. I'm creating this from old memories & the web.)

In business since 1972, Jade Island is a restaurant and cocktail lounge located in a Staten Island strip mall. The locals all seem to agree that the restaurant has been well maintained over the years, and the Chinese food and tropical drinks are both excellent. The flaming pu pu platter and the jumbo shrimp with garlic sauce are expecially reccommended for food, and the headunter is regarded as their best drink (seved in a Tiki mug), although you can’t pass up the recipes served in fresh coconut shells. That said, Manhattan reviewers seem to think that the food is greasy and the drinks are too syrupy and sweet. You be the judge.
With backlit 3-D waterfall scenes, bamboo booths, a tiny waterfall flowing next to a fake volcano, and the requisite pufferfish lamps, Jade Island makes the grade for Tiki decor. Staten Island has some very groovy 1960’s architecture, take a drive around the neighborhood.
(From The Tiki Bar Reveiw Pages: Tiki Road Trip Updates

Jade Island is something of a throwback. The interiors -- with its emphasis on faux bamboo huts and colorful transparencies of tropical settings -- hasn't changed in years.

The menu continues to offer a selection of Cantonese, Szechuan and Polynesian dishes, and those who prefer can still order an exotic sounding cocktail that will arrive in a pineapple shaped glass and topped with a tiny paper umbrella.
(From the Staten Island Advance)

It's in a strip mall. It has those old 1950s hexegon windows. There are alot of tikis and the place is filled with bamboo. The bar is small and kinda dingy, even though it has tapa cloth and bamboo. The bar had more of an off track betting parlor vibe than a tiki bar vibe. The dining room is where the action is, however. Its a huge room with booths lining the walls, tables in the center. The booths are inside large thatched huts. Each booth has either a puffer fish lamp or a snarling tiki face lamp. Starfish lamps are hanging outside of the booths, and there is a huge seahorse lamp in the middle of the room. One wall has a mural of Tahiti that looks like it is printed on glass that is lit from behind. There are some coconuts hanging near some booths. The book Tiki Road Trip does not have a TIPSY (tikis per square yard) rating for the place, so I will supply my own TIPSY rating of three out of five! That's pretty good. They serve drinks in tiki mugs, which are not for sale. Drinks come with cocktail umbrellas and pineapple garnish with cherries. Pina coladas and mai tais were very tasty. They offer a number of classic tiki bar drinks. Appetizer portions were generous. Typical chinese menu. There are some larger size tikis behind the waiters' station in the back and there are 2 little fountains in the rear also. Waiters are in aloha shirts. All in all it was a fun tiki experience! The place was packed, they do quite a business, so its good to see the tiki establishment thriving.
(From Tiki Goddess)

Jade Island is alot like Chans Dragon Inn in Ridgefield, NJ but maybe a notch or two lower on the vintage vibe. From the looks of some of the newspaper clippings they had hanging on the wall in the lobby next to a counter where they sell Lotto tickets (yeah..they really sell lotto there!!), they have been there since at least 1972. And, unlike the free standing building that Chan's is located in, Jade is located in a K-Mart shopping plaza (eesh) not far from the Staten Island Mall (eesh), and a bit of a hike by cab from the S.I. ferry terminal. It had all the cool trappings of a Tiki/Polynesian joint i.e., cool fountains, tikis everywhere, transparent beach scenes hanging on the walls, pufferfish and tiki lamps and a pretty decent tiki bar/cocktail lounge adjacent to the actual dining room. All waiters were dressed in Hawaiian shirts. My girlfriend and I went on a Friday night, and the place was packed (!), and then some, with people waiting for tables. First stop-the lounge. After instantly noticing Trader Vic products behind the bar I ordered a couple of Mai-Tais. Tasty...BUT...made with GRENADINE. Uh-oh. Shortly after that we sat down in one of the tiki-hut booths. Pretty cool. Even cooler was the drink menu which had real photographs of the drinks. After I was done with my Mai-Tai, I ordered a 'Pinapple Paradise' which was a frothy Pina Colada type drink served in a real pineapple shell and garnished with cherry/pineapple chunk on an umbrella. Pretty damn good! My girlfriend ordered the 'Jade Island Special' which was served in a really cool looking hula-girl tiki mug (see picture) that they let us buy for $6.50! Also pretty cool. Also noticed Navy Grog and another drink served in an actual Tiki mug who's name I forgot (shoulda wrote down those damn drink names). Another drink was served in a ceramic coconut shell mug called the 'Coconut Kiss' and of course they had Zombies as well a few other cool looking drinks. Aside from all the regular kind of Chinese food they had the same 'Hawaii 4-0' dish that Chan's had as well as the very cleverly named 'Hawaii 3-0' that I don't think Chan's had (hey they gotta corner the market somehow). After eating some Sesame Shrimp I ordered one of those damn Zombies which was actually very good!! Shortly after that, for some reason I started to get really sleepy, musta been the commute or all that sesame shrimp and shrimp toast appetizers.

(From donhonyc)

As the evening set, we drove through Brooklyn to Staten Island over the Verrazano Bridge to the piece-de-resistance: Jade Island, an old-school Tiki bar in a Staten Island strip mall. Inside the Polynesian-style restaurant, we could have been in Vegas, circa 1963. A tiny waterfall flowed next to a fake volcano. All drinks were served with umbrellas, in glasses shaped like tiki heads, bamboo or coconuts. The candy-colored libations had names like "The Headhunter," "The Scorpion," and "Pineapple Paradise." The place was pretty empty, but I don't think our Hawaiian-shirted waiter was thrilled by our high-spirited group. The food was greasy and MSG-laden, the drinks were strong and syrupy sweet, but the ambience made it all worth it.
(From Five Bourough Tour NYC)

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2003-11-08 08:53 ]

How difficult is it to get from North Jersey (say Newark area) to Staten Island? Everyone's telling me it's not worth the trip, but I think I want to try.

-g-

TC

i went there back in december. (sorry i haven't posted my pics yet.)

i was coming from the south on the GSP. it was really easy! i'll try to find my directions (but i think i just used mapquest). in general, i find driving on si to be a nightmare, but coming from the outerbridge crossing, finding this place was a breeze.

i'd say it's worth a visit. i mean, if you've seen chan's & other nj places, you won't be blown away. it has the same look/feel as the nj "polynesian" restaurants. it's pretty well kept. i was there at lunch, & it was just about packed. i liked it there & would go back.

if you want, let me know when you're going. it's always great to meet other TCers!

Tiki Chris

It's easy to get to SI from Newark, that's the airport I use when visiting my sister: it's just US9 South to NJ81 South to I95 South to I278 East & over the Goethals Bridge. I ran the directions through mapquest.com & got these basic directions from there: Merge onto NY440 South and exit towards Victory Blvd, Turn Right on Victory, Left on Richmond Ave., just past the SI Mall make a U-Turn at Yukon Ave. and come back 1/2 a block on Richmond Ave. to Jade Island.

TC

it's in a huge, easy to spot shopping plaza. there's a K Mart & a big super market (ingles? shop rite?) there too.

T

OK, time ofr a New York geography lesson.

Is Staten Island accessible from either Brooklyn or Manhattan via the subway system?

Any New Yorkers out there care to provide details?

thanks!

T

"OK, time ofr a New York geography lesson.

Is Staten Island accessible from either Brooklyn or Manhattan via the subway system?

thanks!"

The best way to get to Jade Island (for those of us without wheels) is to take the Staten Island Ferry from lower Manhattan, then take a taxi from the ferry station to the restaurant. It's about 15 minute cab ride, but worth it. Besides, how cool is it taking a boat to tiki restaurant? Give yourself plenty of time for the commute. Jade Island won't dissapoint...

T

How late does the ferry make the return trip?

everything you could want to know about the ferry is here:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/masstran/ferries/statfery.html#schedule

even a PDF of schedule and costs and parking and info about pets an dthe fleet.

On 2006-04-03 12:52, tikibars wrote:
OK, time ofr a New York geography lesson.

thanks!

JT, Where in Manhattan? Where in Brooklyn? I'd say take the subway to Battery Park/Whitehall, take the Ferry from Whitehall to St. George & take the S44/S94 Bus to the KMart Shopping Center. It'll take you a long time to get there & back that way, but it's cheaper than taxis. I grew up on Staten Island and rode the busses & subways everywhere, in fact I didn't learn how to drive 'til I was in my 20s & living in LA, and I don't think I've ever taken a NYC cab in my life.

Heres a link from Tiki Events if you want to see pictures of Jade Island:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19003&forum=4&6

its good!

T

Thanks for the bus info.

I definitely am going to take the Ferry over for the experience, also to see the Statue of Liberty, Manhattan from the water, and all that other tourist crap.

I am 90% sure that I will be at Jade Island on Sunday if anyone wants to join me. I plan to get there early, probably right as they open for dinner (5:00?), so as to get back into Brooklyn (where I am staying) at a reasonable hour.

Great time and adventure to Jade Island prior to Urban Tiki's shindig:

We arrive -

Lobby area:

The bar and the natives:
img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3340/46e8b075.jpg[/img]

Let the fun begin:

Wow -
Jade Island looks great!

You NY Tc-ers are too cool! I might be movin to Long Island, soooo just be-ware!

Matt - great photos and good to see you kept your feet on the ground! Sorry Nicole and I could not join you guys that day, but we are definitely up for the "planes, trains and automobiles" it takes to get to Jade Island from manhattan. Maybe over the next few weeks....

JP - don't know if you were serious, but definitely let the locals know if you do move to the NYC area. The scene is growing and besides, its always great to have more new englanders here as back-up.

B
Bone posted on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 8:54 PM

AHHHH This reminds me of one night with my friends. the 4 of us each ordered a happy family meal, I can still remember the waiters comment in his thick accent "enough for 16 people". we laughed. now I was only about 130 lbs 5'8" and i finished more than anyone else at the table. along with head hunters of course, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

imagine a plate a foot long piled 4-6 inches high of chicken shrimp beef and pork with veggies( not 100% sure but alot of food)

[ Edited by: Bone 2008-04-10 20:57 ]

Looks like maybe Anthony Bourdain will be at Jade Island on this weeks No Reservations.

Sounds good to me ~ "On the plus side, I did get to down tiki drinks with David Johansen--though his enthusiasm for the New York Dolls of old seemed less…fervent than mine. Staten Island, it turns out, is the home of the last irony-free Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki palace in New York. A fine and beautiful thing. I brook no snickering with my flaming pu-pu platters"

The Travel Channel Monday 9/6/09 10PM and then indefinitely in reruns. :)

CJ

On 2009-09-06 00:20, Bora Boris wrote:
Looks like maybe Anthony Bourdain will be at Jade Island on this weeks No Reservations.

Sounds good to me ~ "On the plus side, I did get to down tiki drinks with David Johansen--though his enthusiasm for the New York Dolls of old seemed less…fervent than mine. Staten Island, it turns out, is the home of the last irony-free Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki palace in New York. A fine and beautiful thing. I brook no snickering with my flaming pu-pu platters"

The Travel Channel Monday 9/6/09 10PM and then indefinitely in reruns. :)

Good call Boris! Pretty cool episode..I think Tony was star struck by David

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-09-07 23:53 ]

What's with Tony not buying the comparison between Staten Island & Hawaii? I can totally see it myself...

I wonder if David Johansen moved back to the old neighborhood? We grew up in the same neighborhood (about a decade apart), attended the same church, and his Mom was my local librarian and my Gran'ma's friend.

Staten Island, it turns out, is the home of the last irony-free Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki palace in New York.

It's true, the various family dinners and dates that were happening around us when we've been there were utterly unaware that they were doing anything retro. Just enjoying the awesome, like they had been doing for years.

G

I haven't been there but the atmosphere looks good. Might visit once i have the chance.

Regards,
George
Pret travaux

with all the recent talk heres a few new ones - my other link the pics got shrunk!

c ya around - ps try the shrimp toast and house special drink - nuff said!

Wow - I'm lovin the Seahorse chandalier--a work of art. Fantastic photos bringing back good memories - thanks for posting.

I just saw the interiors of Jade Island. My father helped opened the place and i remember running around the place as a kid. I might have some old menus stored away, but the headhunter has always been there. The only drinks we were allowed to have were Shirley Temples.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I visited this place last week with the family located in Bayonne across the bridge. I regret not getting the flaming pu pu platter, as most of what we ordered to eat was underwhelming. Maybe the dinner menu is more impressive than the lunch one.

The Headhunter was fantastic. I was impressed to get a nicely balanced drink with egg foam before noon. The drinks are served in the Dynasty Wholesale versions of classic mugs. I think next visit I will try to convince my wife's siblings to have a light dinner and then finish off the night with a flaming pu pu plater and enough drinks to necessitate a taxi.

[ Edited by: FenrixTiki 2010-10-27 13:24 ]

Pages: 1 24 replies