Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Anyone know what movie this might be??

Pages: 1 13 replies

Ok....this is an off the wall question, but maybe someone out there has seen this one and knows the name. I saw part of this movie a few years back and I have know idea what it was called. It was basically a "Columbus sails the ocean blue" type movie. The sailors/explorers are searching for "new lands" and they land on a tropical paradise island. The island is a tiki paradise, without the tiki's if I remember correctly. Lots of Island women in grass skirts! One of the sailors (the main actor) falls in love with one of the island women. That is about all that I remember about this movie. If anyone knows the name of this movie please let me know. You might want to rent it yourself; it was good from what I remember! Thanks!

[ Edited by: voodootiki on 2003-11-12 19:18 ]

S

All that comes to mind is "Pagan Love Song."

T

Mutiny on the Bounty?

Speaking of which, I read recently that though the movie makes Christian Fletcher out to be the good guy, and Bligh the bad guy, it was actulally the other way around. Bligh was quite the hero to get his men back thousands of miles to safety after Christian put them off the boat in the dinghy. But the romantic younger hothead works better for a hollywood hero that a crusty older sailor who goes by the book.

my faves:

My friend's mommy told me what Chocha means in Spanish. Then she showed me. A++!

Dave3 touches my NO NO SPECIAL PLACE, but you respect other people's boundries!

Great transaction... Oh, I gotta go! A triceratops just crashed into my house!

Mitchell!

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2003-11-12 21:08 ]

R

On 2003-11-12 19:37, tikifish wrote:
Mutiny on the Bounty?

Speaking of which, I read recently that though the movie makes Christian Fletcher out to be the good guy, and Bligh the bad guy, it was actulally the other way around. Bligh was quite the hero to get his men back thousands of miles to safety after Christian put them off the boat in the dinghy. But the romantic younger hothead works better for a hollywood hero that a crusty older sailor who goes by the book.

And so say the Australians on a statue of Bligh that is found at Circualar Quay (pronounced KEY) in Sydney.....BUT! Considering that he had two other crews as well as the Fletcher Christan gang on the Bounty mutinied on him during his career, I think the Aussies are wrong on this one! :lol: He may have been an excelent navagator, as he studied under one of the best (Capt. Cook), but I think his people skills were very lacking, even for 18 century British Naval crews!

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-11-12 23:03 ]

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-11-13 15:05 ]

Sound an awful lot like "Days of Thunder" starring Tom Cruise.

Dude,that's every TCer's fantasy (except for the "no tikis" part), you sure you weren't dreamin?

[i]they land on a tropical paradise island. The island is a tiki paradise, without the tiki's if I remember correctly. Lots of Island women in grass skirts! One of the sailors (the main actor) falls in love with one of the island women. That is about all that I remember.
[ Edited by: voodootiki on 2003-11-12 19:18 ]

T

On 2003-11-13 12:16, tiki-riviera wrote:

Sound an awful lot like "Days of Thunder" starring Tom Cruise.

... I just peed my pants laughing!

From what I've read it seems Bligh was a somewhat lax disciplinarian. He didn't keep a very tight rein on the men in his command and they lost respect for him. Christian on the other hand was a bad-ass from way back.

T

Now that I think about it more, the place where I read the info exonerating Bligh was from a Captain Cook biography. I guess, like much in life, there is no black and white answer, and the truth lies somewhere inbetween. Interesting to note though, when people rediscovered Fletcher Christians paradise many yoears later, they found most of the original mutineers dead - they had fought each other over women and killed most all of the men.

Another interesting tidbit in the Cook book was that when they reached one of the south seas islands (can't remember which), thinking they were the first to get there, and had their way with the 'unspoiled' women, many of them got the clap. Turns out the Spanish had been there first, and left a little parting gift.

they found most of the original mutineers dead - they had fought each other over women and killed most all of the men.

Yep, after they killed the native men, the women killed THEM.

Thanks for all the help! Yes...."Mutiny on the Bounty" was the name of the movie that I was thinking of! I rented it this past weekend and enjoyed it again! There is a few versions of this movie out. I think the newer Mel Gibson version was the one that I originally saw.....but this weekend I rented the older 1935 B&W version staring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable. It worth renting if you have never seen it. Thanks for all the help!

K

I rather liked the 1962 Brando version of MOTB. The Tahiti visit for breadfruit was priceless with an authentic Hukilau and Bligh "forcing" Christian(Brando) to sleep with the Tahitian king's daughter so as not to disrespect him and the culture.

Scotty

[ Edited by: Scotty on 2003-11-17 14:55 ]

R

On 2003-11-13 19:33, tikifish wrote:
Now that I think about it more, the place where I read the info exonerating Bligh was from a Captain Cook biography. I guess, like much in life, there is no black and white answer, and the truth lies somewhere inbetween. Interesting to note though, when people rediscovered Fletcher Christians paradise many yoears later, they found most of the original mutineers dead - they had fought each other over women and killed most all of the men.

Another interesting tidbit in the Cook book was that when they reached one of the south seas islands (can't remember which), thinking they were the first to get there, and had their way with the 'unspoiled' women, many of them got the clap. Turns out the Spanish had been there first, and left a little parting gift.

purple jade is absolutely correct! There is a Discovery channel program around about Pitcarin Island and what happened with a couple of guys digging around for evidence.

Also Capt Cook was the first one that made it out and BACK. The last bit being VERY important. Living in Key West, an island that became the richest city in the USA per capita during the 19th century because of our reefs, I know the meaning of run a ground! :lol: The Hawaiians even were familiar with metal when Cook got there (though the had no metalergy knowledge). They felt this may have been due to previous visits from Spaniards or Portuguese vessels or just the flotsam and jetsum washing up on shore from their reckage. Those guys had been running around the Pacific for years! The Philippines had even been administered directly from Mexico, NOT Spain since the 16th century (Cook didn't get out there until the late 18th century), and there was a lot of traversing between the two, hence Acapulco.

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-11-17 18:07 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies