Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Ku Ku Lele and the Friki Tikis Tonight!!! Yikes!!

Pages: 1 12 replies

I just got an email(this Sun.a.m. early) from kuku and they are playing tonight, Sunday at the Continental Room in Fullerton @ 8:30. 115 W. Santa Fe Ave.
714-526-4529

If you haven't seen King Kuke you need to.
Truly a great entertainer.
Al

YO BEN! Just wanted to know if your'e going tonight?

King Kukelele ruled last night!!!!. He had a four man band backing him Up "The Friky Tikis"and they sounded great. The king did three sets and an encore. The turnout was impressive and there were many Tiki Centralites in attendance. The Continental Room is a retro cool cocktail lounge, a very hip venue. A really terific show a good time was had by all.
Al
P.S. Sorry, I forgot my camera

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2002-07-29 11:35 ]

S

Damn! We missed it! The one day I forget to check Tiki Events! :( Too busy peddling and panderin' I guess.

Hey Ben, thanks for keeping us konnected with King Ku Ku events (I know he is playing a lot these days). Sounds like it was a blast!

Cheers,

Uncle Arty

Oh man!! I fell asleep at 7:30 last night. I'm bummed I missed it. Glad to hear it was a roarin good time. (now that I finally slept for 8 hours, I can make it to the next one!!) Was Floratina there with her camcorder?

CA

The Florantin'cam recorded every Kuky moment!!!! I need a copy of the Third set and the encore!!!

Yes, Ben. The corn, the cheese, the terrifying beauty that is King Kukulele was captured on digital tape. At one point I was fighting for floor space with Mr. Moynahan A/K/A Father of Denny. His boy handed him his camera and said, "Tape, Dad". He is a big dude you wouldn't wanna mess with. This show offered a glimpse into the world of the King because he had his parents there AND visiting relatives of a senior generation. I tried to exhibit a commensurate level of restraint - out of respect, with limited results. Damn Mai Tais...

Al, I didn't anticipate that there would be three sets o' splendor. I only brought one tape and it was maxed at an hour and a half, so I was unable to cover that which you most seek. Of the third set, I was able to capture the group's trek from the front door through the bar whilst Denny sang a song in Hawaiian that I don't know the name to, but is incredibly pretty.

Yes, kids. With the Friki Tikis to back him up, the Ku Ku has the freedom and inclination to sing what I'd call "gushy songs"! We may be accustomed to Denny yucking it up, but he threw a curve ball out there when he sang "Quiet Village" (read the lyrics, very sweet) the aforementioned pretty song and this dreamy number at the top of the show that I assumed was from the Fifties but in fact was written by King Kuke! I learned this later and it is called "You and Me". Long live brand new exotica!

Or maybe the title of the song is, "Me And You" and I have it backwards...

I wish I had made it out to this show. I gotta say after the APE shows I went back to the rockabilly shows I put on regularly with a Deke Dickerson and His Ecco Fonics show last week and it just felt anti climctic. I want more Hawaiian shows, more tiki bands, and more girls in grass skirts. Another thing that was cool was not being the only guy in the room wearing Iolani, man I saw some cool shirts during the APE shows. Hey Bamboo Ben, when is that party at your shop you were telling me about at The Doll Hut?

Definetly do more tiki shows Fred! This stuff is really worth going out to see. I can't wait to see the Thurston Howlies. I also need to add that Kuke's band was REALLY GOOD. They are new to me, so I don't know all their names. But they were talented and had interesting personalities. They do shtick. There was a gen-yoo-ine vibraphonist, the real deal.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-07-30 13:42 ]

M
mig posted on Tue, Jul 30, 2002 2:49 PM

Sam! Tell Deke that the Bay Area wants more Go-Nuts. The Go-Nuts are my favorite baaaaaannnnd!!! MUST HAVE GO-NUTS!!!

BB

Aloha Sam and All,
The Gathering of the tribes Grand Opening, is at the Bamboo Ben Store on Sunday August 18th from Noonish to Sunset. King Ku ku is going to jam (I'm sure C'Al will join him with his nuts!) and Cherry Capri and the Thurston Howlies around 5ish. We'll have Pu-pu's by L&L Costa Mesa and a few other goodies going. Tiki carvers Crazy Al, ChikiTiki and Pizutti will be showing and selling their awesome digs. Sven will be set up signing books,(there are a-lot of poeple down this way who actually don't have their book signed) selling books and showing/selling his videos too! Freddie from Freddies Fabulous Hawaiian sauce might show up with da kine sauces. Holden aka Tiki Farm will be there with mugs or with out. We have more in the works. Kinda like an Open House relaxed party sitch. The one thing we don't have is a stocked bar (something about not having the correct license), but we all know what to do when there isn't a stocked bar, don't we? Just label your ice chest and your lounge chairs and don't forget the sunscreen.......

Pages: 1 12 replies