Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaiiana - Koa Furniture

Pages: 1 5 replies

This week I thought I'd provide pictures of the living room furniture we purchased from Jim O'Neil, owner of The Hawaiian Antique Center on Kapahulu Ave in Honolulu.

These pieces are Koa and produced in Hawai'i in the 1950's. Koa, as I'm sure you know, cannot be harvested anymore. The only koa that may currently be taken, must come from trees that die naturally.

But first, some koa furniture making history: Furniture making in Hawai'i begins almost as early as the arrival of the first Western residents. Some who came to Hawai'i virtually taught themselves to be skilled woodworkers, but as time passed professional craftspeople from America, Europe, and Asia established themselves in the Islands.

Koa trees grow in dense rain forests and develop straight trunks often reaching a height of forty feet. Growing in the mild climate of the Islands, koa trees have no discernable annual growth rings, but are thought to have a maximum life span of around 400 years.

The designer who worked for the Honolulu branch of the San Francisco-based Gump's and Company created koa furniture and furnishings with relief carvings of flower and leaf patterns.

Notice the relief carving on the front panels.

Side table and lamp with carved red ginger flowers.

Coffee table (with BOT).

Coffee table end.

Chair foundation.

This is the dining table that we got from Rell Sun's daughter Jan. Jan and her husband Tony and their daughter live in nearby Mission Viejo. Jan's daughter refers to Madame Bong as Auntie in the true Hawaiian style.

Table 'legs'.

Fireplace close up with carved Monkey Pod firescreen. (We don't use the fireplace.)

Sideboard table.

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-11-17 17:07 ]

You suck!

(nice seeing you today, though)

On 2003-11-16 21:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
You suck!

HEY! I was gonna say that!

Kill your sideboard!

S

Bong,

You've made some cruel posts before, but this takes the cake!!!

Just, kidding, Bro. I've been haunted by Koa ever since I was lucky enough to see this furniture in person.

Mahalo for sharing once again. Beautiful stuff, man.

Cool stuff, it's a nice change up from your typical bamboo.

And you suck!

Pages: 1 5 replies