Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

"POM Wonderful" Pomegranate Juice

Pages: 1 17 replies

M

Have people found this in their grocery stores? The stuff is delicious. You can use it to make your own fresh grenadine. (It's great) There's also blends that make great drinks. I made this little gem tonight:

2 oz. POM pomegranate-mango blend
2 oz. white rum (I used Myers's white)
1/4 - 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1/4 oz. simple syrup

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

check it out (other recipes as well) http://www.pomwonderful.com

No, I don't work for them.

R
Rain posted on Sun, Nov 23, 2003 10:01 PM

i love that stuff - and the bottle is cool, too. didn't think to try it with rum. good call.

i just had one this morning.

truly 'tis wonderful. it has a distinct vegetable-y flavour, so it might not be for everyone.

j$

p.s. i know it's a fruit, but the word 'fruity' didn't convey the correct meaning... :tiki:

Mr Dollar, you had one this morning? Is this the normal pre-work ritual?

Kon,

pom is just fruit juice, no kick unless you add it yourself.

was that the nature of the question? heh heh... no, first time i had it. no ritual involved (yet) - ungawa!

cheers, j$

S

I love pomegranate! Where can this be purchased? Would Whole Foods have it?

Thanks!

On 2004-01-13 09:46, suzywong wrote:
I love pomegranate! Where can this be purchased? Would Whole Foods have it?

Thanks!

that's where i got it!

j$

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2004 10:55 AM

yeah, whole foods is the only place i've seen it so far, but the local grocer is selling actual pomegranates from the same "POM" company. they cost as much as a bottle of the juice: $2.99.

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 2:20 PM

aloha, everybody -
just a heads-up - Knudsen now has a pomegranate juice, not from concentrate, and with nothing added. it's a little cheaper than POM. i look forward to mixing mine with rum tonight (o)/

I just found Pom Wonderful in a local CANADIAN grocery store! coool! It was quite expensive, at $4.99 for the little bottle. There was only one left, a pomegranate/blueberry mix, so I passed on it. I've got to go back there and find the pure pomegranate stuff! For other B.C. residents, I found it at Country Grocer, which unfortunately only seems to be a Vancouver Island chain for the moment.
I'm willing to ship a bottle if any one wants to give it a try!

Great stuff, that POM.
I've seen it at Ralphs market too, tho that was before the so-cal market strike. Can't say I've been in since that started. I get mine at Whole Foods too now.

Never thought about using it as a mixer... Would that count as one of the fruits I need to eat for the day? :)

For those still looking for this, here's a bit of info:

After thinking that none of the stores in SoCal were carrying it, I finally found out that the stores have been stocking this in the "cold fruit & veg" section. You know, where the precut fruits, plastic boxed mint leaves, and alfalfa sprouts are. It's nice & cold right from the start!

I'll be making the wife a drink or two with Martiki's recipe and will see how it tastes. Unfortunately, the sugar content is a bit too high for me to consume a whole drink.

this weekend i mixed 8 oz of POM with 2 oz of rum.

i couldn't for the life of me taste the booze!

perhaps a dangerous piece of info, but has anyone else noted this?

j$

I used to drink POM, but I just heard that POM tests its juice on animals! At first I couldn’t believe it, but then I looked it up and found info on http://www.PomHorrible.com. POM is suffocating baby mice and cutting off their heads! I found out that Naked, Frutzzo, Lakewood, and Old Orchard make a pomegranate juice, too, which are just as good, cheaper, and not tested on animals.

:lol:

Great thread! I just picked up a bottle of Monin brand pomegranate syrup and was wondering how to go about making my own grenadine with it. Between this and Jab's grenadine thread, I should be all set. I had a feeling all the drink gurus here would have the scoop!

Cheers!

http://www.cm-id.com

[ Edited by: Dr. Bamboo 2007-01-22 08:25 ]

They carry POM at Raleys....it is great stuff indeed!!!

W

Bumping another old thread...

Saw a recent article about the health benefits of drinking pomegranate juice (a study claimed that half a glass of pom juice and 3 dates (the fruit!) per day reduced heart attack risks by 28%) and it made me wonder if there were tiki drinks that used it, rather than just grenadine. I guess I could sub it for grenadine in drinks like the Shrunken Skull if I up the sweetener?

Pages: 1 17 replies