Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Two Weapons...

Pages: 1 7 replies

Two of my standards; the large, sharp-serrated Akatara (Cook Islands)I just finished and is for me own self (it's a difficult carve)...The Sali, or Strike Of The Snake (Fiji) is an example I did a while back and never photographed. I like this Akatara...The eye of Tongaroa (on the ricasso)is open on one side and closed on the other. Has a lot of palm tool work, too, I've had some shaky hands lately but they lent nicely to it's primitivity. A lot of the cryptic Cook Islands line carving on the butt-end, too, along with the phallus. The phlanges on the butt end served as a counterweight...this is a heavy weapon, over six feet long. The Sali is sort of an old standby on the walls of tiki bars..This one is a little more refined than my "decorator" versions, with a lot more decoration. Neither quench my thirst for perfection or my leans to bad self-criticism, but I am pleased.

They are cool as hell. You did a great job. If you dont mind. I think next time you should use a light/plane background so you can see them better.

Great job

KAREN (from Will & Grace):
"You know, I think I got a little misty... Down there."

wow base!! youse a helluva artiste ma man,what patience, attention to detail!! i gotta say. the problem is: whut to do with em ? hang em as sacred tiki artifacs, or use em on yer foes? I'd prob do both. they totally f'in rock...i gotta get one uv those..i recently got a cannibal fork from the pacific islands pretty nice wooden, brand new never used(i think) seeing the quality of work you put out, i'd know this would be something you can also master.although the one i got has no fancy tiki carvings on the handle like some of the fancier types I've seen, i still like it very much. I sure would like to see you put youre skills on one uv dem..Kreepy tiki jaksin

G

great job Bk. az usuall

Thanks for the props, braddahs and sistahs. Pentacle-it's the light more than the background...it was bad that day. Jade-When I hit the lotto I'm hiring you as captain of my personal "Team Kahuna" cheerleading squad! Jaksin, why don't I make you a "long pig" fork (a big, elaborate one) and we trade? Geck-You got the only other Aka of that grade I've ever done! Da Hawaiian playboy sidearm! Kern Mattei picked up one of my decorator versions, too.

Beautiful work. I always forget, is that checked carving called checkering or checking? The only weapon I've ever carved was a sharpened stick...

Now we need "Mad Kahuna: Beyond Tiki-dome", 2 carvers enter, 1 carver leaves!

Checkering good ....Checking BAD...

Pages: 1 7 replies