Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Green Garden, Hanapepe City, Kauai, HI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 10 replies

Name:Green Garden
Type:restaurant
Street:Highway 50
City:Hanapepe City, Kauai
State:HI
Zip:96716
Phone:(808) 335-5422
Dinner from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m. nightly, except Tuesdays.

Website: menu is out of date: http://www.kauaimenu.com/htmlfolder/greengarden.html

Description:

We had heard from locals, for delicious Oriental, Hawaiian and American-style dishes at extremely affordable prices ~ go to Green Garden. What we didn’t expect as the second best TIPSY factor on Kauai!! We had to go back for seconds, with our camera!

THE DÉCOR ~

Definitely off the beaten tourist track, is the Green Garden on the south side of Kauai. In 1948 a large and well-kept home in Hanapepe was converted into a restaurant.

Orchids and hanging plants, 3 display cases loaded with seashells, conch shells bigger than your head, and huge cowrie shells and TIKIS GALORE!

I found 19 ~ there might have been more in a display case, but I didn’t have a flashlight to explore. There are 8 weathered Fern Wood Tikis in the atrium area . Some were upside down or have fallen over, one was serving as a candle-holder! (we offered to correct them, but the waitress said “oh no, let the boys take care of that”) One of the intricately hand carved Tikis made by the owner’s brother was at the cash register, the other stood watch over crayolas on a side table. 5 more hardwood Tikis stood watch in front of the bar. 3 more were crammed in a corner going into an unused lanai. We found the last tiki outside, under the foliage.

Go for the Tiki ~ stay for the lilikoi chiffon pie

updated to reflect the Green Garden has closed.

[ Edited by: dogbytes 2006-07-01 17:03 ]

THE FOOD & DRINKS:

All dinners come with an all-you-can-eat soup and salad bar and homemade rolls.

We had the mixed pu pu platter (deep fried sui mai, won tons, and spring rolls)

I had the “Chinese plate” (battered fried shrimp, char siu, spare ribs, chicken chow mein, and fried rice; I used to work at a Cantonese restaurant, um, we’ll just say “not recently”, and this meal was a real blast from the past, (including the spare no lean spare ribs!)
My husband had the ono (charbroiled with butter and a little garlic, served with choice of potato (mashed or fries) or rice (white or fried rice)

They bake their own pies, we shared a piece of chocolate cream which was great
The whole meal (two cocktails, appetizer, two entrees, two coffees and one dessert) came to $55)

The waitress mixes the drinks Full-strength mai tais served in a 16 oz water tumbler, appropriately garnished with a chunk of pineapple and a cherry.. I had a pina colada, sans alcohol.

The second visit, I asked for extra garlic on my ono, and it came just as I hoped, charbroiled on the outside, firm and moist inside, and garlicky. My husband went for the teriyaki ahi this time, incredibly fresh. Coconut cream pie for dessert.

T

How the hell did I miss that when I was in Kauai?

Anyway, when I went to Hawaii, we nooked the trip to Kauai on the suggestion of many people, but halfway through the trip we went to the big Island and had a much better time. The Big Island is where it's at baby!

Kauai is good if you want a non-tiki, get away from it all trip, but we wanted to experience all hawaii had to offer. I would love to go back and check out the outher islands too.

On the Big Island we stayed at the Sheraton Keaohou, and it was great! We travelled by rent a car all over the island, dod the helicopter over the volcano thing, and the whole bit...

Excellent tiki find! Thank you for posting the photographs?

If Green Garden has the second highest TIPSY score, who has the first (and third)?

Happy Thanksgiving.

D

sad news.. unconfirmed, but a lady i met today who grew up in Hanapepe, knew the owner of Green Garden, and told me it was shut down last year. the daughter was the last in the family, and didnt want to continue running the restaurant.

Sigh. Same old story, ain't it. Happens 9 times out of 10. The kids don't value family tradition (and don't like the work it takes).

D

Green Garden has been abandoned. All the tikis are gone, however the long display cases are still packed full of sea shells. The chairs are up on the tables and there are stacks of dishes on the counters ~ although the doors are locked, there are only screens on the enclosed patio. Suprisingly, the building has not been vandalized nor stripped of the contents. Like the Coco Palms, there is little chance of restoration.

T
TNTiki posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 6:12 PM

Just got back from Kauai. The Green Garden remains closed. There was an organic fruit stand being run on the inside. There were workers there doing what appeared to be rennovations. I found one tiki rotting in the flower bed outside. I have a picture if you want it.

On 2008-11-12 18:49, dogbytes wrote:
Green Garden has been abandoned. All the tikis are gone, however the long display cases are still packed full of sea shells. The chairs are up on the tables and there are stacks of dishes on the counters ~ although the doors are locked, there are only screens on the enclosed patio. Suprisingly, the building has not been vandalized nor stripped of the contents. Like the Coco Palms, there is little chance of restoration.

I want it! :)

T
TNTiki posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 5:42 PM

PM me your email and I will send it to you.

On 2009-11-04 19:11, abstractiki wrote:

T
TNTiki posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 6:44 PM

here is the tiki

And here is the Green Garden

On 2009-11-06 17:42, TNTiki wrote:
PM me your email and I will send it to you.

On 2009-11-04 19:11, abstractiki wrote:

Pages: 1 10 replies