Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Quest cover mug!

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hi all TCers!

Was wondering if anyone can tell me any info on the tiki mug that is on the cover of the Tiki Quest book? Is it new, old, available? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

That's a Hawaiian Inn mug from Daytona Beach, Florida. Pretty common (around here), but pretty cool, too.

A
M

That mug is vintage but has not been used at the Hawaiian Inn for many years. The Hawaiian Inn is still in operation though. The mug came in a variety of glaze colors including Orange, Gold, Green, Blue, Brown, and Red. The Hawaiian Inn version of that mug had the hotel name across the front and was marked "Daytona Beach, Fla" on the back. It also was made in an unmarked version (see orange example below). The manufacturer is somewhat of a mystery as it is only marked "Made In Japan" on the bottom. However, I have seen other mugs looking to be made by the same manufacturer marked "Quon Quon" or "Tahiji". They are pretty common on eBay and, as Basement Kahuna said, also in his general geographic area of the country.

ModMana :drink:

M

Oh, a couple more things about that mug. Notice that the bottom portion of the mug incorporates a stylized grass skirt into the design. Also, I personally have always thought the face looks more like some kind of dragon character than a tiki.

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2003-12-03 14:05 ]

Here's an auction for the blue or the brown one, (hard to tell with the lighting). Not my auction either.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3257716391&category=29460

Sabu

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-06 19:08 ]

Thank you ModMana for the great pics of all the mugs and info too! Are they all from your collection?

That's a Hawaiian Inn mug from Daytona Beach, Florida. Pretty common (around here), but pretty cool, too.

I have lived an hour from Daytona for many years and have yet to see one. I havn't seen the other Hawaiian Inn mug neither!
What the hell am I doing wrong?

Pages: 1 8 replies