Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

This drink sounds disgusting!!!

Pages: 1 39 replies

M

I was in a liquor store in Sunnyvale on Saturday and found a bunch of old stock drink mixers still on their shelf. I bought some Tiki related ones for Christmas gifts, but I also but a product made by Mr and Mrs "T" because I liked the name. I just read the back label a moment ago and got disgusted!
The product is made so you can make a drink called "BULLY-HI" (which could be a Bali-Hai pun, also). Here's what the label says: "A SUPERB COCKTAIL WITH DELICIOUS BEEF FLAVOR!
Mix 3 parts Bully-Hi cocktail Mix with 1 part Vodka (or tequila or, best of all, rum...it's RUMderful!) Pour over ice, stir and serve. Nothing else to add. Garnish with crisp celery stalk. Makes a bully-great drink with Gin, too!" The label later states that this cocktail mix also makes great Beef Consomme--just heat straight from the bottle-nothing to mix. "Wholesome...non-alcoholic...magnificent flavor!"

I think I have discovered the most DISGUSTING bottled coctail mix in existence!!! Beef flavor, indeed!!!
Can anybody beat Mr Smiley with a worse commercially made coctail mix!! I would be very, very scared if one exists!!!

M

where's the beef!?!
Why it is in my RUMderful cocktail , of course!!!!
time to VOMIT!! :)

T

From Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide (1972 edition):

BULLSHOT
1 oz. vodka
1/4 oz. lemon juice
1 barspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco sauce
Beef bouillion

Put vodka, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and Tabasco in a fizz glass over 1 large cube of ice. Fill with chilled bouillion. Stir well. Decorate with lemon wedge.

If you need vitamins, this is a damn good way to get them before one in the afternoon. It's also good at a ball game when it gets cold.

____
  _ _
   /
  / 
 /    
  _

[ Edited by: thejab on 2003-12-08 00:21 ]

This sounds like the perfect eye-opener when I wake up on Sunday morning with a mount rushmore hangover. I would serve it with a blood rare T-bone steak, sauted mushrooms & two soft poched eggs.

The BULLSHOT is the signature drink at one of Detroits' power lunch restaurants (can't remember which one at the moment) Apparantly, many an automotive deal has been inked while getting sloshed on cow squeezin's.

-Z

Could it be the Rattlesnake Club or Carl's Chophouse? Maybe this drink has something to do with the condition of the auto industry in Detroit.

http://www.samgambino.com

T

Eat at Xochimoco's instead!!!

Every time I go to Detorit, a visit to Mexicantown is a MUST!

Well....Mr Smiley....did you drink it? Come on....down the whole thing at once you stud.

On 2003-12-08 08:56, tikifish wrote:
Eat at Xochimoco's instead!!!

Every time I go to Detorit, a visit to Mexicantown is a MUST!

Yeah, that's a great place. I ate there at 1 am, and it was as crowded inside as any other restaurant would be at 7 pm.

OK, I remember now... It was The Caucus Club. Forgive my memory- I was completely asleep & just got to work when I posted earlier. I'm still at work, but only 1/2 asleep now... :roll:

-Z

I pitty tha' fool that don't drink my beef cocktail!!

Okay, The Caucus Club. I've never been there, but I've heard of it.

M

"Main Discussion Area: This drink sounds disgusting!!!
Posted by jungletrader on 2003-12-08 09:26

Well....Mr Smiley....did you drink it? Come on....down the whole
thing at once you stud."

Don't "BULLY" me!!! Of course I drank it-it was Beef-A-licious and RUMderful!! :)

M

Posted by Shipwreckjoey on 2003-12-08 01:09

This sounds like the perfect eye-opener when I wake up on Sunday
morning with a mount rushmore hangover. I would serve it with a
blood rare T-bone steak, sauted mushrooms & two soft poached
eggs."

I think this is TIKI-fishes cure , also!! :)
(just kidding)

M

I think I would enjoy a drink made with pork products:

Bacon Bahia
Carnitas Castaway

mmmm...how I love the white man's pig.

How about a Mutton Manhattan?

Mutton Margarita?

Liverwurst Long Island?

or my personal fave:

Gristle Grog

-Z

don't forget the for-real-life product, Clamato! Tomato & Clam Juice Blend

they even have a website with drink recipies!

http://www.clamato.com/bar_ing.htm

it's clam-o-rific! so shut yer clam and lay down some clams to have a clamato today!

Try a Giblet Julep.

BEEF it's what for dinner.

don't forget the for-real-life product, Clamato! Tomato & Clam Juice Blend

they even have a website with drink recipies!

Yes, Clamato sounds awful, but as those who have had a Caesar before will attest, it's damn tasty! Caesars are very commonplace here on the Canadian Prairies. I was surprised when my cousin from California told me he never had a caesar before. Legend has it that they were created here in Calgary at Caesar's Steakhouse. My wahine loves 'em.
Wanna try it for yourself?:

Caesar

• 1 glass(es) Clamato Juice
  • 1 oz Vodka
  • 1-2 dash(es) Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1-2 dash(es) Tabasco Sauce
  • 1-2 pinch(es) Salt
  • 1 - Celery Stalk

Directions/Comments: Wet the rim of your glass with water. Put salt all around the rim (sticks to the water). Mix the tabasco, worcestershire, clamato juice, and vodka together in the glass. stir, and throw in a straw and a celery stalk. There ya go, a great drink. Virgin Caesars are great, too!

Seriously. I do enjoy these drinks.

-Slacks

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2003-12-08 18:02 ]

M

Actually that sounds like a damn good drink. One small problem: ONE OUNCE of vodka?!?? What the hell is that all about? You'd be waterlogged with clam juice before you got a decent buzz on. I need two to open.

M

Posted by The Monitors on 2003-12-08 16:59

BEEF it's what for dinner."

----OR at least for a liquid lunch!!

On 2003-12-08 11:49, martiki6 wrote:
I think I would enjoy a drink made with pork products

I refer you to The Byrd:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3516&forum=1

Trader Woody

BB

"A SUPERB COCKTAIL WITH DELICIOUS BEEF FLAVOR!"
That is hilarious!

M

Main Discussion Area: This drink sounds disgusting!!!
Posted by Bamboo Bob on 2003-12-09 07:08

"A SUPERB COCKTAIL WITH DELICIOUS BEEF FLAVOR!"

That is hilarious! **********

Bamboo Bob, that is Hilarious and ....DISGUSTING!!!

M

The " Byrd" --yikes!!!! But, fortunately the Byrd wasn't available in a prebottled mix!!! Any more Bully-Hi, anyone?? It is on me! :)

M

On 2003-12-09 04:55, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2003-12-08 11:49, martiki6 wrote:
I think I would enjoy a drink made with pork products

I refer you to The Byrd:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3516&forum=1

Trader Woody

Ahhh....forgot about that one. Thanks for the trip down lardass lane, Woody!

T

I came across this simple drink recipe, something I don't think I'll try any time soon....!

Tom Boy

6 oz tomato juice, chilled
6 oz favorite beer, chilled

pour into pilsner, garnish with lemon slice.

The Motor City Madman would be in hog heaven...

M

On 2003-12-09 20:15, Traderpup wrote:
I came across this simple drink recipe, something I don't think I'll try any time soon....!

Tom Boy

6 oz tomato juice, chilled
6 oz favorite beer, chilled

pour into pilsner, garnish with lemon slice.

We just call it Tomato Beer around here. And it's great for hangovers. I actually like it. Use a flimsy lager like Bud.

M

Slightly OT: I just had my first Jones Turkey & Gravy Soda. It's predictably nasty. Maybe the other bottle will go on ebay. (it's selling for around $25!) Tastes like salted caramel soda.

http://www.jonessoda.com/files/turkey.html

C

Traderpup, I found out about Tom Boy as the Arizona Sunrise. I'm sure it has other names too, but it's not bad.

On 2003-12-10 11:50, martiki wrote:
Slightly OT: I just had my first Jones Turkey & Gravy Soda. It's predictably nasty.

It's back for 2004 -- now with all the trimmings!

• Turkey & Gravy Soda
  • Cranberry Soda
  • Mashed Potato & Butter
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Fruitcake Soda

(ech!!)

http://www.jonessoda.com/files/turkey04.html

K

On 2004-11-10 10:21, cynfulcynner wrote:

It's back for 2004 -- now with all the trimmings!

* Turkey & Gravy Soda  
* Cranberry Soda  
* Mashed Potato & Butter  
* Green Bean Casserole  
* Fruitcake Soda  

You know, this seems to be a much unexploited area for seperating fools from their dollars. If people are willing to fork over 25 semolians for a bottle of gravy flavored soda, what's stopping us from raking in the dough with even more noxious concotions?

We could line them up around the block for a $50 bottle of "Dead Camel's Ass" flavored soda. Or "Public Urinal".

I mean really people...

Now where's my Clamato?

Ahu

DZ

I've got a full (unopened) 2-liter bottle of tarragon soda that was leftover from Iuka Grogg & MMML's going away party.
Tarragon??
I was thinking of having an "Iron Chef"-type contest to see who could make the best drink with it, but I'm afraid they'd all taste like crap...

K

On 2004-11-10 17:01, Doctor Z wrote:
I've got a full (unopened) 2-liter bottle of tarragon soda that was leftover from Iuka Grogg & MMML's going away party.
Tarragon??
I was thinking of having an "Iron Chef"-type contest to see who could make the best drink with it, but I'm afraid they'd all taste like crap...

Well, I've been collecting old bartending books for awhile now, and it seems that the "savory" cocktail was much more common than I'd have guessed in my early days of mixology.

The whole using beef broth thing claims quite a few recipes in some of my older manuals. I've seen chicken stock versions as well. I guess mixing savories is much like the popularity of egg whites in classic cocktails, people just don't do it often anymore.

The Bloody Mary and Maria seem to be the only true survivors of the faded trend. Perhaps I'll look through some books and see what I can find that might be a worthy candidate into the "weird savory cocktails" file.

Still though...tarragon soda??

Ahu

K

Addendum:

Tarragon soda might work with Akvavit for a fizz of some sort. Maybe with a little lemon.

I dunno.

I've made a basil mojito before just for grins that got favorable reviews. Who knows?

Ahu

M

BUMP

We could line them up around the block for a $50 bottle of "Dead Camel's Ass" flavored soda. Or "Public Urinal".

I mean really people...

The other day my kids made me buy a box of "Harry Potter" jelly beans, they are called "Bertie Botts Everyflavor Beans" half the flavors are nice like "pineapple" or "tutti fruitti". It is like a game of russian roulette in a box the other beans are flavors like "soap","ear wax" and "vomit". My daughter ate one made a face and spit it out and said "how gross, this tastes just like soap" then she ate another one.

If your Camel's Ass soda had a Harry Potter logo on it my kids would buy it.

K

On 2006-05-18 18:07, captnkirk wrote:
If your Camel's Ass soda had a Harry Potter logo on it my kids would buy it.

And me without Photoshop here at work.

Ahu

Pages: 1 39 replies