Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Wall of Tiki

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

hey and vice versa! Your mugs are here, some of mine are there- how cool :)

BTW thanks so much for the swizzles- they will make themselves right at home on the wall..

K

Amazing collection is there any vintage mug you dont have?

You should be awarded some sort of National Tiki Shrine status! Awesome Wall O' Tiki...thanks for allowing us to glimpse it!

yes, there are mugs that i don't have. Some of them arent even that hard to come by, just for some reason i never got one. Like the Don the Beachcomber head. i dont have one of those, and ive just been kindof holding out buying one on ebay hoping i will run into it in a shop for a steal someday. Stuff like that- I kindof keep a few floating around unobtained so that I still have the hunting instinct. Plus i know there are still mugs out there that I have never seen.. every once in awhile I'll see a completely new (manufactured even) mug I'm not even aware of, and it just blows my mind.

When I get everything unboxed and setup, I'll take some more thorough pics and post em.

one of the neat things about collecting mugs is that there are so many individually different ways to do it. Some people collect manufacturers lines (like otagiri, orchids, etc) and focus on getting all the mugs. Some people collect all the tons of new mugs being produced. Other people arent concerned about repeating designs, but want the markings to be from all different places.. (I've even seen people doing this go so far as to have half the mugs facing backwards to show the marking) its pretty cool- each collection is unique in its own way.. even the way they are organized.

This time I am displaying the mugs in a different way than I used to do it. I'm kindof going by size and style.

The size thing I'm forced to do because of being short on space. So I have short shelves and tall shelves to make use of every bit of vertical space on the bookcases. So all the short ones go together and all the tall ones go together. This led to all the Moai heads being in one area, all the triangular yellow cylinder mugs being together, all the tiki bob's being together, etc. Its looks neat doing it this way.

I put all the westwood together, and the westwood knockoffs nearby. All the PMP stuff is together with "PMP-like" stuff nearby, etc.

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-12-17 22:15 ]

S
SES posted on Thu, Jan 1, 2004 10:28 PM

Fantikitastic! Looks incredible!

So we get to the new place and I fill up the whole one-car garage with these boxes. I had blown out the alphabet and was marking boxes ZZ, XX, etc

Hahahahah!

Any chance you could repost the pics from the original post? or perhaps post new ones?

my humble thanks in advance,

-Z

(edit: huh, I can view the pics just fine on my home PC, but at work they were just the red X's... so never mind my ramblin's)

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: feelin' zombified on 2005-06-01 17:24 ]

TM

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-05-26 17:29 ]

Woo Hoo! :) Who's the lucky one that gets to do the dusting??? :)

OH MY TIKI!!!!!!!!!!!

I bow to you, and kiss your feet!

So when can I come over for a visit, hmmm? :)

COVET!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:33 ]

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jan 24, 2006 2:56 PM

WOW, what a collection, how cool!

F

shortly after this post was made my son started growing up, and boy, does that take up your day :)

The tiki room still is not complete, however, more of the mugs are out, so i will try to take some more pictures and post them here.

When I get it all complete I might hold a tiki room "open house" for those visiting Florida for tiki events.

On 2006-01-25 08:00, fatuhiva wrote:

When I get it all complete I might hold a tiki room "open house" for those visiting Florida for tiki events.

This might actually be the inspiration I need to finally plan a trip to Florida.

On 2003-12-10 10:06, fatuhiva wrote:

Speaking of blooms- the Heliconia Stricta Iris just decided to bust a move now that it got cold outside:

That is super cool. I have got to find one of those. Where'd you get it at? Realizing the photo is a few years old, I have to ask: Is it still alive?

F

Yes, that heliconia plant is still going. It's blooming right now, in fact.

Of course, that particular flower is long gone- heliconias grow stalks, flower, the flower lasts up to a couple months, then the stalk dies, and more keeping popping out of the ground.

Hurricane Wilma whacked the clump pretty good, but a few stalks remained upright and went on to bloom. I have another type blooming now as well- i will put a pic below. I have gotten bit by the tropical plant bug and currently have about 30 different types of heliconias growing at my place, most have still yet to flower. Alot of them I have to greenhouse during the 2-3 coldest months.

A good source for heliconia plants and rhizomes (root sections that will grow into plants) is Ebay, actually.

Heliconia Latispatha:

Heliconia Bihai:

[ Edited by: fatuhiva 2006-01-26 19:02 ]

Beautiful! Thanks for the great pictures!
I live in a zone 9, but our weather is just not good enough to grow heliconia and bird of paradise outside. I hope to have many growing in the Huki Lounge when it's built a few years from now, as it will also be a sunroom/greenhouse.
Right now I have only banana Musa Basjoo, a few types of taro, windmill palms, and hardy ginger growing well outside.
Kind of changes the perception of Canada a bit.

Greenhouse conditions are really ideal for heliconias. There's actually very few places in the US that they will grow well all year outdoors. Pretty much South Florida and Hawaii, everywhere else is marginal or just not gonna work.

However, if you can keep humidity up in your greenhouse, let in plenty of sunlight and keep the temp between 60-90F then you should be able to have a nice setup. I often wish my yard was just a greenhouse- it can be frustrating when heavy winds or a cold front comes through and damages the plants.

Ideally, a tropical greenhouse would be tall enough to house palms and big heliconias (like 15-20 feet), have a rich free draining soil (could require excavating under the greenhouse to amend the local soil) and a nice overhead watering system that uses only fresh water.

here are some pictures of a really neat one in gainsville:

http://bihaisrainforest.4t.com/photo.html

[ Edited by: fatuhiva 2006-01-28 12:26 ]

Pages: 1 2 65 replies