Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Talkback: Crude Jokes announcement

Pages: 1 27 replies

Post your comments regarding the Crude Jokes announcement here. Please don't be a knucklehead and post crude jokes here. It will only get you banned. I'm serious.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-12-11 01:47 ]

I'm guilty. I'll try to be more sensitive. If someone was offended by the no arms joke, I apologize.

Well, I'm not sure, but you may have received one about me. If so, my apologies to all.
I think I am going to install a Breathalyzer on my computer that will require me to pass a test before posting on TC.
TC ROCKS!

fair enough. i certainly hope that "naughty lyrics that weren't meant to be" thread that i started didn't upset anybody!

Well lemme tell ya story bout a man named Jed
Poor Tiki Chap couldn't filter what he said
Upsettin the ladies with comments that were rude
Some folks say his jokes were simply crude

bad taste that is... potty mouth... locker jokes

The Tiki Central Hillbillies

Thank you for posting that Hanford. I'm probably one of the younger guys on TC and I thought most of those comments were innane and immature. I was also surprised to see those comments coming from adults that (I'm guessing) have actually seen real breasts in their personal life. All those posts do is make everyone read pages and pages of stupid stuff while searching for some legitimate tiki info.

Think about what you post before hitting the submit button. There are plenty of messages that I have typed out and decided not to submit because I thought my post would be wasting everyone's time.

Thanks again Hanford.

On 2003-12-11 20:46, Luckydesigns wrote:
I was also surprised to see those comments coming from adults that (I'm guessing) have actually seen real breasts in their personal life.

At Hanford's request, no response.

Hey, I think I hurt myself keeping from making any jokes about Trader Vic "Arriving" in the mail...

This is a very difficult balancing act to judge. I myself have been annoyed by stupid jock mentality on this board, not only regarding the subject at hand, but in general. But isn't that unavoidable when you have a public forum? I hate to loose all the humor and whimsy that TIKI stands for, being politically incorrect from it's inception.

The appeal of Tiki today is partly due to the fact that one can PLAY with an ironic stance mocking the ignorant sexism of yesteryear, offending the do-gooders of the time after the 60s. Where does the appreciation of vintage pin-ups and nude Wahines become sexist in earnest? I think it is all a matter of personal taste and style, and that varies greatly by individual and is as such hard to control.

I am not saying Hanford's post is too p.c., but I am also hoping that not all sex humor will cease to exist here, it's part of the game. And we refuse to grow up and become reasonable. So children should have some room to play.

It is hard to judge when play ends and becomes serious. I for example am sadly conflicted and confused these days about the fact that, with my Tiki research, I showed my fascination and appreciation for the naivetee and blissful ignorance that Americans had towards other cultures back then, only to find that under the current rule that kind of indifference has become the program again, but in a most uncharming way.

But just because unsavory figures are abusing
what I appreciate, I will not stop adoring Midwesterners in Aloha shirts, or black velvet nudes.

On 2003-12-11 20:46, Luckydesigns wrote:
Thank you for posting that Hanford. I'm probably one of the younger guys on TC and I thought most of those comments were innane and immature. I was also surprised to see those comments coming from adults that (I'm guessing) have actually seen real breasts in their personal life. All those posts do is make everyone read pages and pages of stupid stuff while searching for some legitimate tiki info.

Think about what you post before hitting the submit button. There are plenty of messages that I have typed out and decided not to submit because I thought my post would be wasting everyone's time.

Thanks again Hanford.

Huh? Spike, you're outta the band!

Wise words from bigbrotiki, and no i'm not trying to get my book signed.

T

Bigbro made some good points (as usual from him). It would be shame if the playful sexiness of the original tiki bar era couldn't be appreciated here because of political correctness.

The sexual attitude of many Polynesians was uninhibited, which clearly was an inspiration to many of the early tiki bar founders and patrons (look at the Trader Vic's menus for example), and may have inspired the sexual revolution, which (despite what the hippies claimed) actually started in the early 1950s with the release of the birth control pill (the 1950s Kinsey reports reveal this).

Sure, crudeness has no place. But in some threads (like the one that showed some pictures from old men's magazines of topless models standing next to a tiki, or the one with stupid jokes) the subject should have been adequate warning to those who may be offended that they don't have to look if they don't want to.

My goal here: I'd rather side of making more members feel comfortable here and stifle some "humor". When I get complaints that the forum is becoming awkward/uncomfortable/insulting to read, I don't take it lightly.

Jab, I get your point with the "subject line" warning, but it's not the pictures themselves that get the complaints, it's the comments after them ... I've seen posts where someone makes a sex joke or boob joke, then a few legit replies are made, then someone says "I'm still thinking about the sex joke" and then someone tries to one-up that joke, then a bunch of me-too posts jump in. Look at the replies in the "poor puppy" post in Beyond to see what I mean.

When it was just limited to the occasional topless pic thread, I never recieved a complaint.

This isn't about quashing sexiness, flitation, or innuendo ... it's about understanding where the line is drawn, in both quantity and crudeness. Specifically with the goal of making members of the opposite sex not feel awkward, degraded, or unwelcome.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-12-12 14:39 ]

That is exactly what I meant.

I, sure as hell, am not offended by nudity and I am definately one of the ones that embrace (with some limitations; eg. racism...) the lack of political correctness from the 50's and 60's. As Hanford said, it's the pages and pages of stupid jokes that is annoying and/ or potentially offensive to others that bugs me. Keep posting the nudie pics.

Bong, I'm back in the band.

I also want to clarify something: when I said "You'll be banned if you do", I was refering to trying post a crude joke Talkback thread specifically. This isn't a "CRUDE JOKES BANNED FROM ALL POSTS" thing, just a request to take it into consideration before posting.

~Hanford

I'm pretty sure all but the most stubborn and/or brain-dead know where "the line" is.

There must be an acceptable median we can reach where those that are bothered don't get called puritanical and those who aren't don't get called pervert.

It's really just a matter of respect, and a willingness to create an atmosphere that's hospitable to everyone. Isn't that what aloha is all about?

T

Thanks for clarifying those things Hanford. I didn't read the "poor puppy" post, so I didn't know what was said.

I do know we all appreciate your diligence in wanting to make this a better forum. I totally agree with you that we want to make everyone feel welcome.

C

Ok, I read the poor puppy thread again.

I laughed again.

T

I started reading the poor puppy post but quickly got bored. Crude jokes do not offend me, and tits and ass humor just rolls off my back (being an ex-bartender I have training in ignoring these sorts of comments). I also read Fark.com regularly, and it makes some of the more off color comments here look like the work of Socrates. So myself, I probably wouldn't lock a thread just because it gets a little sexist or raunchy. As Sven said, Tiki is by nature politically incorrect.

However I do think sometimes there are guys in here that forget there are women around, and might say things that they wouldn't say if they remembered there were... I can't even recall how many times I have been mistaken for a man online! So for some of you guys, just remember your posts are read by everyone... even my mom.

That being said, I have noticed the chicks in here can get quite as raunchy as the men sometimes... but there are fewer opportunities to do so (unless Gecko posts a shirtless pic of himself again).

T

Just to put things 'in a nutshell' (ooh thats a phrase that I hate, don't you?)

SEXY is good.
SEXIST is bad.

I think we all know the difference.

Here's some non-offensive humor from the Bathroom Reader. A MAN WALKS INTO A DENTIST'S OFFICE . . .

Man: "Excuse me, can you help me? I think I'm a moth."
Dentist: "You don't need a dentist, you need a psychiatrist."
Man: "Yes. I know that."
Dentist: "So why did you come in here?"
Man: "The light was on."

All of this reminded me of something some of you might can relate to. All the talk of "Crossing the Line" may be summed up for others as clearly as it was for me by this illustration. (My apologies to any who read this and do not have a copy of Tiki Quest to refer to. See ordering info in banner at top of page.)

Upon receiving my copy of Tiki Quest I began to pore over its contents only to find myself extremely impressed upon reaching page 85 and discovering the section on Hula Honeys. I must admit, I'm quite taken with some of the pieces in that chapter as well as some of the Coco Joe's items on page 176. Upon arriving at page 94, though, and discovering the Bally-Hi Hi-Ball Coasters and Whiskey Bottle Cover I got a little grossed out. I mean... I appreciate the humor, I appreciate the historical importance, I appreciate the value of such items in a pretty darn near comprehensive collection... But would I want such as that on display in my Tiki Bar? No Way!

Hope that makes some sense.

What if BK posted a shirtless pic of himself? (Ladies feel free to PM me any raunchy comments) :)

Picture Jim Belushi.

T

I encourage any and all member nudity!

I actually tried to get my friends to do the thing where you take pic of yourself appearing nude at work, with just your bits blocked by a strategically placed plant, monitor, machine, etc. I figured a website 'nudeatwork.com' would be a gas. Not cause it's sexy, but because it is so absurd to be nude at work, or see if you can get away with taking the shot and no one looking.

I have a lovely pic of myself at my desk with a strategically placed dictionary...

anyway, no one else thought it was such a funny idea, and it died a quick death.

But maybe 'nudeatmytikibar.com' would work?

ahaha

any nudity in silly situations (esp. at work) would be a great idea for a site - you need a new consulting team!

My contribution to the discussion regarding the appropriate standard for such posts is this:

Consider whether the class of persons most likely to take offense to the post might find such offensive.

Remember, do not use yourself as the objective test, but think subjectively about what a class of viewer might subjectively be offended.

For example, it is very possible that women or people of color might find the photograph of the dog and/or the jokes which follow offensive.

However, I recall a Playboy photograph, followed by a comment such as "I wish the beautiful naked girl would move because she is blocking my view of the tiki."

Neither the photograph nor the joke would be likely to be taken as offensive. (I thought it was hilarious & very tiki).

Women can say many things that a male should not.

To evaluate my possible bias, I, a Black male, was highly offended by the photograph, although I thought the jokes which follow were merely sophomoric and akin to a "Porky's" movie. (Maybe its my age?)

I am also senstive of issues which mock tribal people of color - I'm boderline about the photograph, although (thankfully) the jokes didn't go there.

The legal standard for harassing conduct also utilizes both an objective standard as well as a subjective standard. (For example, the phrase, "I like your chest" not offensive if made to a guy at the gym, but offensive if made to a woman anywhere, including at the gym.)

Hey Tikifish, remember Benny Hill used to do a nude-behind-the-fence scene. The gate would swing closed just as he was walking by. The guy was hilarious.
I'm wondering if you seeing the moon following you around as a kid has anything to do with this nude.com ideas you have. Maybe a Freudian thing?

Pages: 1 27 replies