Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

What exotica CD would you put in a time capsule?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I've a reason to ask. I want a primer of classic exotica music. Aside from some unidentified Baxter at a dance performance I don't even know that I've heard any. What currently or recently available CD (preferably classic stuff, re-released on CD) might I look for to get the general feel of what was played in tiki bars and swanky pads in tiki days gone by? Are there any that are more suitable as make-out music than others?

exotica by martin denny would go in my time capsule

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-12-18 08:02 ]

Greetings; I don't mean this as an advertisement at all ... I have a page on my site where I link off to my favorite Exotica CD's - at least the one's that are available - on amazon.com. I have all of the CD's on this page, and I put them in my own order of preference. The page is at:

http://www.cybertiki.com/s002001001.html

Sadly, the Les Baxter double CD "The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter" looks like it's gone out of print, but I linked it anyway just in case someone wants to take out a loan and buy a used copy. I love Martin Denny, and I'd have to say that his double CD "The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny" is extraordinary and is my favorite, mostly because there is so much on it, although the tracks don't quite "build" a mood as well as any of the original albums that they are drawn from.

Now for the time capsule - really tough, but I'd have to say for a single CD, it would have to be "The Sounds of Martin Denny Exotica" CD, which contains both "Exotica" and "Exotica II".

I can't say the whole of the albums would constitute good "making out" music, but then again, THAT is very much a matter of personal preference - I have friends that would consider Metallica to be appropriate for this purpose (and NO I'm NOT making ANY comparison between Martin Denny/Exotica and Metallica/Metal)! The Quiet Village and Ebb Tide tracks on the Exotica CD are both appropriate in my book, but if my purpose were just to listen to a great "in the mood" album, I'd probably grab my import CD of "Julie is her name". Can't beat Julie London ... this is probably the sexiest album I own (quite aside from my lifelong fantasies of her personally)!

Stay on the beach. The natives over there are cannibals. They eat liars with the same enthusiasm as they eat honest men.

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2003-12-18 08:20 ]

Thanks, Cybertiki! My girlfriend apparently logged onto this site, noted your response and bought your top choices for Denny and Lyman in a package deal from Amazon.

The original question was to ask for a primer in Exotica and what would be appropriate for a Make-Out session with your wahine or kane......

But the title of the thread is interesting in concept:

What would you want to put in a time-capsule and pass on to some future generation as a musical example of Tiki in the year 2008?

The classics are obvious, Denny, Baxter, Lyman, Mure.... what else?

I would want to put a Crazed Mugs CD, a Haole Kats CD, and a Waitiki CD in there. And probably Tikiyaki as well. I think it would be extremely entertaining to some archeologists in the future trying to figure out what 'our culture' was like listening to those CD's.

How bout you?

IZ

The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter gets my vote -- and for the "make out" factor, because (if I remember correctly) it digs heavily into the Plas Johnson / Baxter LPs, and Plas is always sexy.

I don't know about a time capsule, but NASA blew it when they sent that record into space with Voyager. They should have sent "Space Escapades."

I, Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-08-13 20:59 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies