Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Motorcars... Automobiles... Vehicules...

Pages: 1 40 replies

rch427: Dart is a '63 GT hardtop, but my first car (about 25 years ago) was a '63 Valiant. A different model than yours, but same motor and frame, I think. My Dart just has the 225 slant-6, which will only haul a half-ass at a time.

mrtikibar: I drove a 64 Valiant for years. Push button transmission, slant 6. I think it was the 1964 Motor Trend car of year.

j$: my 62 valiant has the 225 slant six with pushbutton transmission. yeh, it looks like a toad, but a shiny blue toad with fins :) actually my pop scored me the "hyper pak" setup years ago and we are just putting it together as we speak.. yesterday my brother and i were removing the starter in COLD weather since it don't work. so close and yet so far...

j$

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-22 13:53 ]

J$ - My dad bought a '64 Dart GT new in 1964 (only new car I remember him buying). It was a slant six with push button drive & the whole GT "sport package" (which I think back then was some extra chrome, bucket seats & a radio). Really cool little car. I inherited it 8 years & 150,000 miles later. It developed a pretty severe oil leak that I neglected . One day I loned it to my younger brother to take to the beach. He drove it about 30 miles up the coast ignoring the low oil light & that was the end of the ol' slant six. RIP Dart GT

wah...

well this doesn't have to be a mopar thread. any of you out there with comets? falcons? jetfires? etc.?

Darts are cool, especially the drop-tops.
I used to drive a '60 Corvair. It was the first model, the one with 4 doors. Man I miss that car...
Aloha,
:tiki:

S

The slant 6 ruled the curcuit for a time. I had a 1965 Baracuda with a 273 and worked 3rd shift. I would fly home at crazy speed down the back roads. One night, I saw a car actually catching up to me. Then he actually pased me! It was a 65 Valiant with a slant 6.

I have a 61 Corvair Monza 900 now. It needs an overhaul bad. rings mostly.
There's a page HERE

Love the Dart. I used to follow this girl around in Atlanta that had one just to get a good look at it. It was black with red interior.

my very first car, bought for $700 about 5 months ago.. '68 Chevelle Malibu .. it's my daily driver, though it leaks (rain), the brakes squeal, the front passenger side door doesn't open, only the highbeams work, I have no back up lights and it's constantly fogged up or iced up on BOTH sides of the window.. Since owning her I've learned how to change a distributer, wiring, sparkplugs, oil and filter.. she's still my baby.. she also has a tiki shifter, a dancing hula lady and a shrunken head sticker for the back window..

I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum..

[ Edited by: Velvet Ruby on 2003-12-22 21:17 ]

K

This is my '54 Ford Crestline. The idea behind building this one was to create a low-buck, late '50s, early '60s custom (with a few modern upgrades). The caved in top was immediately cut off and the window channels were filled (the top will later be replaced by a removable carson top.) Emblems, door handles, and side trim were shaved; the frame was stepped up in the rear and was air bagged- coils were cut to lower the front; '56 Olds taillights were frenched in, and the caps you see in the pic are '57 Caddys.

Its return to the road was covered in the San Jose Mercury News.

Check it out... http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/6818627.htm

I still plan to swap out the donated '67 Mustang 6 banger. But all in all, I'm totally stoked on this car... I'm counting down the days to drive it to Viva Las Vegas!!!

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2005-05-16 17:59 ]

god damm mercs are kick ass cars..

I'm lusting after a Pontiac starchief m'self.. we have a 56 buick special sitting at the garage waiting for money to be dumped in it to get it on the road...
sigh maybe if we stop moving we'll have enough money to build up our cars..

KAHAKA - That is one sweet ride. The Caddy hub caps are a nice touch.

K

god damm mercs are kick ass cars..

Thanks... except it's a Ford. I agree though that Mercs kick ass... especially the '39 & '40.

T

Oh the Chevelle! I want one...

(Need ot get a drivers license first though... since Im 31 you think I would have gotten around to that by now).

When I was a wee girl, my dad had a Chevelle convertible. I remember lying down in the back seat when he was driving with the top down, looking up at the moon, and asking how it was that the moon was following us wherever we went...

S

Ruby,
Here's a big tip for you. Keep your window cracked on that car. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This will allow the moisture to get out and help the fogging. My Corvair used to get crazy condensation until I did this. Cars stored need that air flow. Cars with leaks do too.
One of my best friends has a 1965 Star Cheif. The biggest car made that year. That says a lot. It's aone owner original that had 30,000 mile on it when it came onto his lot with all options. 383. Nice. Now my 29,000 mile Corvair was not so nice. Years of sitting...

J
JTD posted on Tue, Dec 23, 2003 10:25 AM

Velvet Ruby,
Great photo. '68 Malibu was my first car too! Only 20 years ago. Looked just like yours (except silver). You got a great deal, too. Take care of that baby.

Enviously,
JTD

K
Klas posted on Tue, Dec 23, 2003 11:17 AM

I like vintage American cars although I like Italian GT/Sports cars more :D I don't have a car anymore but I used to own an Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce 1.5, a FIAT 850 Sport Coupe (shown below) and a Lancia Beta 2000 HPE. As I never have had much money to spend on a car, these "Poor Mans Ferraris" have given me great value for the money :)

Thanks everyone! I sometimes think maybe I'm too enamoured with it, because it is kindof a wreck.. but I can't help it.. I've been coveting a car since before I was legal to drive.. (being raised in small towns with no public transportation will do that.. car: freedom!) My boyfriend mentioned the window thing too, but I'm slightly uneasy about leaving a window open in Vancouver (rain rain rain with a side helping of rain) but I'll try it out.. I daydream about what I'd do with it if money was no object (shave door handles, paint black with a hot pink stripe, skull and crossbones hubcaps on the rear.. mag wheels, jack up the back end, black vinyl bucket seats with hot pink skulls, basically turn it into a killer muscle car that no guy would ever want to drive BWAHAHA! .. ahem)
but then I think if I had that much money I may as well buy a car that doesn't need as much pre-fixing before the customising can happen.. we'll see...

ok I'll stop rambling now.. CARS ROCK!

K

Klas..... are you familiar with the A-Bombers car club? I've read a lot about them in car magazines and what not. Do you see many '50s/pre '50s customs over there? Apparently there's a big scene...

On 2003-12-23 11:17, Klas wrote:
As I never have had much money to spend on a car, these "Poor Mans Ferraris" have given me great value for the mone

Klas - Do you guys get the Speedchannel on your TV? I tuned in on my local cable station here in San Diego last week for a regular weekly show called "Victory by Design". Filmed in England it featured some of the most fabulous Ferraris (mostly GT's) from the mid '60's thru the present day Enzo. The host of the show gave you a full tour through the cockpit, engine bay and all around each car, pointing out all the major inovations and design nuances, followed by turning it over & going for a ride. Great show.

S

Ruby: You are just cracking the window to allow air pressure to normalize a bit. Not enough to let in rain. Just a little to let air move.

Klas: your car is way euro-1960's cool, reminds me of the car in "Get Smart"...

Do you get the TV show "Get Smart" in Sweden? Hightly recommended, although i'm not saying it's high-quality entertainment...

Swanky: yer corvair rocks!!! i love corvairs, especially when seeing them as daily drivers. i always thought corvairs and my valiant were cousins... although you are familiar with the Studebaker of the same era, it looked like the "less attractive older sibling" of our cars (attractiveness all relative, of course...)

Velvet Ruby: Female Muscle Car = me likey!!! The concept warms my heart as much as the "girl Power" essence of Emma Peel and Lara Croft...

i love youse guys

j$

J$- That car would be the Sunbeam Tiger http://www.classictiger.com It's little brother (and way more common) was the Sunbeam Alpine. It sported a rather unimpressive 4 banger. I'm sure a man of Maxwell Smart's stature would have been driving the Tiger. Speaking of Studebaker...the Studebaker Hawk is still one of my fave cars. I know a guy that has a Studebaker Avanti & it's been his daily driver for the past 25 years! Now that's what I call dedication.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-12-24 12:39 ]

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-12-24 12:43 ]

K
Klas posted on Thu, Dec 25, 2003 9:55 AM

On 2003-12-23 18:34, KAHAKA wrote:
Klas..... Do you see many '50s/pre '50s customs over there? Apparently there's a big scene...

Yes, I think it's a quite big scene for American custom cars in Sweden. Maybe not so much here in Stockholm as in the country side. Check out the Power Big Meet site for some info on the Swedish scene.

On 2003-12-23 19:55, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Klas - Do you guys get the Speedchannel on your TV? ... it featured some of the most fabulous Ferraris (mostly GT's) from the mid '60's thru the present day Enzo ... Great show.

I don't think we get Speedchannel here. Personally I don't watch much TV although the program you mentioned sounded like something I would have liked to see. Nowadays I get my Italian car fix by watching historic racing films when I miss my old cars too much :D

On 2003-12-24 10:00, Johnny Dollar wrote:
Klas: your car is way euro-1960's cool, reminds me of the car in "Get Smart"...
Do you get the TV show "Get Smart" in Sweden? Hightly recommended, although i'm not saying it's high-quality entertainment...

Yes, "Get Smart" was shown on Swedish TV some years ago and maybe it wasn't the highest quality of entertainment but I'm always interested in everything 60's :)

On 2003-12-22 21:14, Velvet Ruby wrote:
my very first car, bought for $700 about 5 months ago.. '68 Chevelle Malibu ..

This looks a lot like my dad's first car, a '66 Chevelle 2-door in the same shade of blue as yours. To a wee bairn like myself at the time, this car was HUGE. I still can't believe he traded it in for a brand-new 1976 Volvo, which was the WORST CAR EVER (sorry Otto).

Hopefully Dad's old Chevelle is still surviving as a low-rider in East L.A. 8)

After owning a couple of Toyota Tercels, I aquired a car that became the Famous Grinning Miata. Whee!

On 2003-12-22 21:16, KAHAKA wrote:
This is my '54 Ford Crestline. The idea behind building this one was to create a low-buck, late '50s, early '60s custom (with a few modern upgrades).

Are you single? :wink:

K

Are you single?

He he he he. Sorry... I just got engaged this past October to this totally cool hot rod mama and we're both totally excited! Totally.

btw Swanky, the body-color moon discs on yer corvair wheels are the coolest! are those aluminum ones you had painted?

nice miata, cyn~ any hula girl/boy on the dash?

j$

On 2003-12-29 09:27, Johnny Dollar wrote:
nice miata, cyn~ any hula girl/boy on the dash?

thanks! No hula girl, just some Hello Kitty dice hanging from the rearview mirror. I had a Spongebob on the dash for a while before he started to melt -- ick!

speaking of cool cars...
we have a 1962 plymouth fury wagon for sale if anyone knows anyone who might be interested?

complete details are here: http://www.homecamp.com/ebay/fury/

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-12-29 17:27 ]

S

J$: Yeah, I had the Moons painted to match the car. It's a cheap wheel treatment I have been wanting to do for a while.

On 2003-12-29 17:27, Futura Girl wrote:
speaking of cool cars...
we have a 1962 plymouth fury wagon for sale if anyone knows anyone who might be interested?

complete details are here: http://www.homecamp.com/ebay/fury/

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-12-29 17:27 ]

geewhiz futura girl, if i haddn't bought my 62 valiant i would be heading your way right now with $$$cash! that's bee-yootiful! j$

Recently purchased from a retired gent in California - my new toy, a 1954 Plymouth Belvedere in mighty fine condition. Anybody got some spare FropĀ® and a Dobbs pipe for my country drives?

Though I have another thread talking about a 1970 Impala (see bilge), I thought I would share a pic of my hotrod. Dubbed by my father in law: The Flame Rider

She is a 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton pick up with daul exhausts and a 454 engine in her. Right now her spedometer is broken (i think it's the cable), but she does sport a one of a kind paint job and new interior (upholstry carpet, etc.). We had he retro fitted with an electric ignition a few yars back, and with a tweek of the computer, I can run her over the 120mph mark on the dash.

Well thought I would share my ride with my TC family. It doesn't look quite like this as I had to take the front valance off to drive in the winter.

I had it painted ala the So-Cal automotive truck.

Which got a huge influence from the pre-war GEE-BEE racing plane.

The flying eyeball was painted by "Brian the Brush" a local pinstriper with some serious skills!!
It's a fun daily driver, I just wish it had less than 106k on the odometer!

[ Edited by: Nokala Rocky on 2005-05-21 18:18 ]

[ Edited by: Nokala Rocky on 2005-05-23 18:03 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 20, 2005 2:27 AM

Like that concept Rocky. Very cool. What kinda reaction do ya get on the street?

I saw a Honda Civic that was "hot rodded". Black, 5 spoke mags, traditional flames, bit of rake etc. Pretty cool for a jap 4 banger.

Thanks Hewey Quite a few people get a kick out of it, but most don't know the references. I love the mopars that some of the others have shown. Would love to get my hands on that wagon for sale in an earlier post!

On 2003-12-30 11:24, Kava King wrote:

Recently purchased from a retired gent in California - my new toy, a 1954 Plymouth Belvedere in mighty fine condition. Anybody got some spare FropĀ® and a Dobbs pipe for my country drives?

I just thought of something, Kava King, did the retired gent live in Fallbrook?

If i'm not mistaken... you can drop a viper v-12 engine in that Belvedere. There should be enough room in the engine compartment. Just think of dragging those snot nosed kids with the compact cars with the trumpet exhausts.

J
john posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 4:08 PM

On 2003-12-22 14:39, Swanky wrote:
The slant 6 ruled the curcuit for a time. I had a 1965 Baracuda with a 273 and worked 3rd shift. I would fly home at crazy speed down the back roads. One night, I saw a car actually catching up to me. Then he actually pased me! It was a 65 Valiant with a slant 6.

I have a '70 dart with a built slant 6/4 speed. When I had it dyno'd it pulled 150hp and 200ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. The only thing I havent done is paint, It still sports a faded factory paint job with vinyl roof. I'll post pics as soon as i scan some in

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 6:05 PM

The Aussie 265 Hemi slant 6 would pull mid 14 second quarters (early seventies). Only problem was they had a 3-speed when everyone else was running 4s. Chrysler at the time didn't invest as much as GM or Ford were into racing.

My brother had Hemi Pacer in Hemi Orange with a 245 Hemi not long ago. It howled! The previous owner put in a 5 speed box and it was sweet! A little thirsty though...

I have a '70 dart with a built slant 6/4 speed. When I had it dyno'd it pulled 150hp and 200ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. The only thing I havent done is paint, It still sports a faded factory paint job with vinyl roof. I'll post pics as soon as i scan some in

I believe my weed eater has more horsepower then that. And its 30cc!

I am not a fan of the slant 6 - everyone who has one say they love the sound of them. A Honda sounds better then that.. and has more horse.

I did see a slant 6 that had over 400 horse - but that was 'built' with NOS.

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 30, 2005 2:43 AM

Tikimaster, here's the lowdown on the Aussie Valiant Charger:

The 1972 E49 Charger was a significant move forward, and not just because it was the first to get a four-speed manual gearbox (from Borg-Warner). The E49 pushed the 265 engine to a full 302 hp, and had the quickest acceleration of any Australian production car - 14.4 seconds, respectable even when compared to American big-blocks.

Got that from:

http://www.valiant.org/charger.html

The E49 was the race model, because here they had to satisfy homoglation rules. The race models were sold off the showroom floor to the public as well as racers. Thats factory horses there baby :) Also the manufacturers at the time posted performance figures that were shy of the real performance due to possible negative publicity.

And good ones sound shit hot!

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey on 2005-05-30 03:05 ]

Pages: 1 40 replies