Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Tragedy - RIP Shecky #88

Pages: 1 19 replies

Aloha Friends,

It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of Shecky #88. Shecky was lost as a result of vibrations from yesterday's California earthquake.

Number 88 was prominently displayed in a special curio cabinet on the middle shelf where I keep my favorite mugs, and he was the first one to be ejected from the cabinet. Also, lost was my gold OMC mini moai outrigger mug (I shall call him "Mini Moai").

Amazingly, we only sufferered 2 major casualties while a few of our mugs ended up with minor chips. The glass in the curio cabinet can be replaced but alas, poor #88 is a now a lost cause. Any suggestions on what to do with the remains of #88 and Mini Moai would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.

The Collapse (I took these pix while trying to figure out how to save the mugs).

Shecky #88

"Mini Moai"

Ouch!

Sten, take solice in the fact that you are not alone. On a positive note, nobody has a Shecky mug like yours - You've got the only one like that!

More Tiki Mug Misfortunes

Has anyone thought of memorializing broken mugs in acrylic or perspex? You could see the mug in an approximation of it's unbroken state without attempting to glue it back togeather. Celebrating it's brokenness, so to speak.

M

I believe that Hanford has posted before about the "no snuff films" rule on Tiki Central.

Ack! I can't believe it was that strong in HB- that's terrible. Sorry to hear it.

I believe burial with full honors is in order.

M

I've been procrastinating using Quake Putty on my collection but I think this just convinced me. Poor #88, sorry for the loss Sten.

ModMana :drink:

Yes,

WE ARE NOT ALONE!

And I have to count my Tiki blessings that the whole cabinet didn't go over but the toughest part was losing Shecky. He was pretty excited about going to the Caribbean.

He was a good soldier.

He took one for the team.

On 2003-12-23 11:54, martiki wrote:
Ack! I can't believe it was that strong in HB- that's terrible. Sorry to hear it.

I didn't feel a thing here, but I think the weight of mugs combined with some subtle vibrations just caused the middle glass shelf to give way. I don't remember seeing any stress fractures on the shelf but you never know.

O

Our deepest condolences. We are greatly saddened by the loss of Shecky #88.
He is with our MunkTiki's that our cat got to.
May they all rest in peace.

Stentiki~

Sorry for the loss. I didn't feel a thing here in HB at all! I do have a question though: Is that only 1/8" glass? If that width of the glass is more than 24" and only 1/8" glass with (what looks like) heavier mugs, (ie: vintage skull mug, the beachcomber mug, bosko's mug, bali hai mug), which themselves are about 1-3/4 to 2 pounds a piece plus whatever other mugs you had on it to add to the stress, then it just might have been an accident ready to happen. Maybe. Were there only 2 pins on each side holding the weight too without any middle support? Just something to think about before that top shelf goes.

In any case, Shecky should be rebuilt as best as possible. Don't bury him!

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

"Renewed shall be mug that was broken;
The Shecky again shall be king."

It's hurt can never be fully healed here. It should be placed in a small boat and pushed Westward across the sundering sea toward the undying lands...or Hawaii...whichever it bumps into first.

Sorry...just had to try mixing Tolkien and Tiki.

MC

I think that Shecky took the wound to the head like a real troooper! He's not a casuality, but a survivor! Definately keep him around.

Let that be a warning to all you Cali-folk. I suggest that you all send your most precious mugs and Sheckys to me in NYC where no earthquake is gonna get them.

M C

Poor poor Shecky. But when I saw the pic of your cabinet I thought, "At least it wasn't the Shag shelf!"

(Not that I personally value a Shag above a Shecky- just that the replacement costs would be astronomical)

I think you should glue him back together and take him to the Caribbean anyway! He takes a licking, and keeps on ticking...

M

We can rebuild him.

We have the technology.

We have the capability to make the world's first Bionic mug.

Shecky will be that mug. Better than he was before.

Better . . . stronger . . . faster.

DOHH!

I think you got hammered and fell into it! Trying to hide it with the earthquake. shame on you! Better luck next time!

M

I think the broken mug pieces should be made into a mosaic of a tiki mug. Maybe you can get Poly Pop to donate some pieces of his broken Vegas Shag Mug.

S

I have no doubt that I had too many heavy mugs on that middle shelf, but they did indeed come crashing down yesterday. I didn't even know about the quake until later in the day because I wasn't watching the news.

I've moved all the "top shelf mugs" down to the bottom of the cabinet. The other mugs have temporarily taken refuge in another room. My plan is to replace the glass shelves with a thicker pieces and I will likely store a few less mugs on them.

Poor Shecky never knew what hit him. I don't think I'll bury him. I like the idea of rebuilding him. Mini Moai too. Is there a Tiki Doctor in the house?

Sten, I am sorry to hear about your loss and am heartened to learn that you are not planning to return his clay remains back to the earth. That plexiglas concept is interesting. Deconstructed Shecky as high art, hmmm.

Martiki, you make me actually laugh out loud with your observations. I just wanted to tell you that.

DZ

On 2003-12-23 20:37, stentiki wrote:
I like the idea of rebuilding him. Mini Moai too. Is there a Tiki Doctor in the house?

I'm here for whatever you need, but I'm afraid that re-building mugs is not my area of expertise...

I think the look on the face of the Bosko 'Wobbly' Bob mug says it all....

Shecky #88 looks somewhat salvagable - who knows what you can do with a bit of glue and a steady hand? Perhaps you could give him a pirates eyepatch, and he could visit the Caribbean after all.

Trader Woody

You know, with a fake bloody head bandage plus those gritted teeth, he'd look a bit like a Jack Kirby comic hero leading a charge. Is there a tiki battle cry?

Pages: 1 19 replies