Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Aloha Room: New Pics on Pg 3

Pages: 1 39 replies

Well, I figured I'd post a few pictures of my little retreat, The Aloha Room. It's still a work in progress, which is true for most things pertaining to collecting, but I just thought I'd share...

e komo mai

Where the magic happens

Most of my mugs and such

Thanks for having a look and any suggestions are appreciated.
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-12-26 13:59 ]

[ Edited by: tiki royale 2006-12-06 22:17 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2006-12-07 09:27 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2011-01-13 20:57 ]

T

What can you tell us about the coffee table?

We picked up one that I am now realizing does not belong with the rest of the decor.

M

Did you get that coffee table at an antique mall on El Camino Real near Redwood City?

It looks familiar. And it's fantastic.

Hey Martiki,
No, the table isn't from that place in San Carlos. I looked at that one but decided on this one because I liked the mahogany top instead of formica. I ended up getting this one at a place up in The Mission. It is a great looking table and really helped pull the room together.
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-12-26 17:58 ]

Very cool room. Is that a space-age clock in the corner over the bar? Also love the bar stools. They actually look like they're comfortable enough to spend a coupla hours sitting on (unlike mine...that are like something from the Spanish inquisition).

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Dec 27, 2003 2:52 AM

WOW, what a beautiful rattan set you have brah! those stools are da bes! I see you got da panel on da wall still...your mother inlaw must neva seen'em yet, sweeet!

I'm in love with your coffee table and bar stools. I love vintage rattan over all furniture!

I see you have some nice mugs!

It was great meeting you and your wife here on da islands. Give me a call anytime you and da ohana visit!

Aloha

8T

Yes Tiki Royale..A very cool space indeed.
We suggest that you pick a great color and PAINT THE WALLS!!!!!! Perhaps a nice green or aqua. It will really warm up the entire room and you will just feel better when you are in there after the stark white has been replaced. Don't know if this is an apartment or a house but if you are allowed to paint....DO IT!
Thanks for sharing the pics.
8FT Tiki

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2003-12-27 09:48 ]

T

I was just going to say something about the walls too... it seems like a lot of collectors go to so much trouble to put up such great stuff, but leave the walls white! It looks unfinished to me that way. Everything else looks awesome fo course... However, that's just my taste.

Tomorrow Mr. Tikifish is taking me to Home Depot to get some nice brown paint for the beginnings of my tiki hallway - to me, the paint is the first thing! Then the shelves go up, then the hundred or so mugs come out of hiding...

I will take before and after pix don't worry!

I only wish I had a whole room to do, but in this condo, the hall is the only space I got that's not claimed for another theme - besides the bedroom, but with my husband's allergies, that many dusty objects in the bedroom is not a good idea.

Oh yeah, don't forget Christopher Lowells "7 Layers of Design" . I really like the furniture in the Aloha Room!

Nice room.

Mahalo y'all,
I totally agree about the wall treatment, problem is that we rent. I'd love to cover the walls and ceiling with woven matting and add bamboo trim. Good thing is that in the evening it's not as noticable. These pics were taken during the day with the sun coming through the windows which really makes things look bright.
Aloha,

Very cool room. I especially dig the clock. One of the great things about Tiki is that it meshes so well with items that were designed in the past to look futuristic!

Nice room!

T

Looks great.

Nice mugs.

Lose the TV... or at least turn it off for pictures.

T

Unless you have the Playboy channel on....

hee hee

the room is beautiful and the tv is fine - as i can see you have it tuned to the "ocean channel"!!!

S
SES posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2003 4:29 PM

Could also get one of those fishtank videos and have an instant troublefree aquarium.

Yes, looks like some sort of sailing channel on... I have nothing against TV, hell, it's how I make my living. Sorry Bong!

EVERYONE... MUST... WATCH... MORE... TV

K
Klas posted on Mon, Dec 29, 2003 9:16 AM

On 2003-12-28 16:29, SES wrote:

Could also get one of those fishtank videos and have an instant troublefree aquarium.

Or maybe this one. No music or narration, only natural sounds.

K
Klas posted on Mon, Dec 29, 2003 9:22 AM

The DVD also features loop play :drink:

Nice room.
I also see you have a Draecena Craigii in the corner. Ahh, yes a good tiki bar room also has real live plants. Not faux, but real. Helps clean the interior air so you can breathe fresh. When they get dusty and dry take them outside and hose them off and let them drip dry for a couple hours, then bring 'em back in. Be sure to let them dry out before watering again.

Very observant Futura Girl!
Actually it's "Endless Summer". That tape pretty much lives in the VCR and makes a pretty good backdrop. I think its time to go to DVD since the tape is getting all wobbly from so many viewings.
For those of you who asked, the starburst behind the bar isn't a clock, it's just a metal starburst which holds a candle and pokes you if you're not careful. If you look closely, there is a clock built into the wall on the other side of the room hiding behind the plant and above the T.V. It's a cool feature of the old house but it needs a new hand (hold your appluse).
Aloha,

M

Now I know where I've seen that table! It was at X21, wasn't it? I remember coveting it.

Not to disagree with a landscape designer, but I love the fake palm in my tiki bar. I think fake plants fit in beautifully with a fake island room, with fake island decor. Plus, my tiki bar gets zero natural light, and I killed three palms before going plastic. :)

Okay, I guess some situations require fake. BUT, for sure your drinks are the real thing, got a good buzz off the Zombie I had at the Foggy Grotto.

We have a winn-ah!
You're right Martiki. I had been eyeing it at X21 for a while and was always suprised to see it whenever I went back there. I finally pulled the trigger back in July and even got a birthday discount!
There isn't anything wrong with fake plants. I do prefer real ones. Palms take a bit of light but there are plenty of other tropical plants that you should be able to grow even though you don't have a lot of light.
Aloha,

It's been a while, so I thought I'd put up a few new pics of The Aloha Room.
With the cold weather now, it's always warm in The Aloha Room.
Aloha,

Welcome...

Mai Tai?

Have a seat...

What would you like to hear?

Mugs...

...'mo mugs.

[ Edited by: tiki royale 2006-12-07 22:12 ]

K

Fab Room! The Frankl style coffee and end tables are great, but those bar stools ROCK!
It was fun to see the evolution from the first pics to your latest. Nice job :D
K.

I like the uli-ulis.

It's so much fun to stumble across great looking rooms and collections. I enjoyed both of these. Visit us in Elk Grove sometime, Wendy

K

Hi Shep,

Alooooha! Wow! Great room. I love the rattan furniture and your tiki mug collection. The floor lamp is awesome! I hope to see the Aloha Room in person this summer. Perhaps we can get together and each host a mixer for Kilohana :)

Cess

Really nice...has a wonderful kitschy feel to it...FUN!!!

I dig the room. The danish mod tripod lamp is one I've been wanting for awhile. Nice.

Could you do some shots without the flash, available light only?

I bet the mood would be great.

Alrighty then... Here are some new shots of The Aloha Room. I fooled around with the camera and tried to shoot in low light.
Some shots turned out and others... Well, just pretend you've had a few Mai Tai's. In any case, I'll keep trying and see what happens.
For now, enjoy.

Aloha,

Very nice. I love the sign.

Thanks for sharing your Aloha Room with us! 1) Where did the space-age sunburst wall hanging go? 2)How did you pull off the ceiling treatment? Is that a matchstick shade?

K

Nice shots of your pad! I really dig the lighting and all the vintage goods. Looks great!

Mahaloz everyone. As you know, it's always a "work in progress"

@ Big Kahuna- Thanks, I made it by enlarging a scan of an original "Aloha Room" matchbook and framing it with bamboo and some old tapa.

@ Bongo, The starburst is safe. It has been moved to my office. As for the ceiling... Its just a roll of that reed fencing from Home Depot. Then I just split some bamboo and tacked it across the seams. I'd like to do the rest of the ceiling but that would require me to get off my duff.
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2011-01-15 18:04 ]

Very nice!
Now here's a little something to play with...
Try white-balancing your camera to the Red light and watch what a cool, gritty look you get! White-balancing to other colors will give you a bunch of different looks. Try it, It's fun! :D

[Thanks, I made it by enlarging a scan of an original "Aloha Room" matchbook and framing it with bamboo and some old tapa. ]

Brilliant!

T
Tabu posted on Sat, Jan 29, 2011 7:49 AM

Really nice room. Looks like a nice place to escape to. Very cozy.

Pages: 1 39 replies