Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Netflix Picks

Pages: 1 0 replies

I’ve really been enjoying Netflix for the past couple of months. & I’ve seen quite a few movies that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise.

Here’s a list of Netflix rentals that I think other Tiki Centralites would also enjoy. I’d love to find out what other Netflix members recommend.

Alfie:

Michael Caine’s brilliant. & Shelley Winters’ character has Vladimir Tretchikoff’s “Chinese Girl” on her wall. The Sonny Rollins soundtrack & shots of 60’s London are nice too.

Tabu: A Story of the South Seas:

This 1931 black and white silent film won an Oscar-winner for Best Cinematography. It is a poignant story of forbidden love, filmed entirely in Tahiti, w/ Tahitians playing the vast majority of roles. There’s one festive scene, which reminds me of the scenes depicted on Trader Vic’s Honi Honi tumbler.

The Films of Charles & Ray Eames: Vol. 1-5:

Tiki Emi & I watched Volumes 1-3 of these. Not all gems but the good stuff’s really good … & the not-so-good stuff is easily fast forwarded. Volume One was the least interesting – Volume Two, the most. The series is comprised of all the short films by Charles & Ray, as well as some shorts about them & their studio. Short films like “Kaleidoscope Jazz Chair” & “Toccata for Toy Trains” (both on Volume Two) are particularly fun & clever. The last two of the series are in our Netflix queue & we look forward to seeing them too.

Slave of the Cannibal God:

In her search for a missing expedition that had been led by her husband, Susan Stevenson (Ursula Andress) and her brother Arthur (Antonio Marsina) arrive in unexplored New Guinea. They join up with scientist Dr. Edward Foster (Stacy Keach) and venture deeper and deeper into the jungle. There, they make a shocking discovery: Some of the natives are part of a murderous cult that feeds on human flesh!

Most shocking is perhaps the midget buffoon native that seems to be the focus of many shots!

Also shocking is the bizarre “Let’s Get Ursula Naked & Tie Her Up & Then Have a Couple of Nubile Native Girls Rub Some Strange Concoction All Over Her Body” ritual. This ancient ritual w/ its overt lesbian (for straight men) tone has rarely been caught on film!

More shock: See a Komodo dragon & a crocodile fight (really! See a python swallow a live monkey (really)! See other graphic & ethically-challenged nature scenes.

A B+ movie of the highest (lowest?) caliber.

The Fighting Kentuckian:

John Wayne at his swaggering egalitarian best! Lots of bare knuckle brawls! The best of the brawls is caused by one fella stealing a gallon jug of Jamaican rum from another fella.

Spirited Away:

Hayao Miyazaki is genius & I believe Netflix has most of his films. Chongolio also rec’d this one in another recent thread:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6834&forum=6&1

Others that have probably been discussed enough on TC:

Whale Rider
Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, 1973
SpongeBob SquarePants: Lost at Sea, 1999

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-12-26 15:15 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies