Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Bar in progress

Pages: 1 5 replies

As I have been getting settled into my new place the number one priotiy has been a nice tiki bar. Thanks to Chiki Tiki (AKA Tiki Diablo) I am on my way to having a kick ass bar. I drew a couple of sketches of what I wanted the bar to look like and Danny went to town improving the ideas and actually making them happen. I wanted to make the front look like a real bar's walls. I decided to seperate the front into three segments, both right and left sides I wanted to look like the wall at the Hale Hawaii, which is covered with that interwoven stuff, thatchery I think, and has bamboo along the edges and through the middle.

Other place like the Hawaiian room have Tapa on the walls and tiki decor on top, so I figured for the middle segment to put some genuine vintage tapa, which I scored on ebay, and a mask on top of it. For the mask I wanted to go with a Kanaloa head since Kanaloa was the first tiki I ever bought. Danny also carved the Kanaloa.

I'm putting the bar in a cornner and asked Danny to build it in an L shape because I eventually intend to make it look like a hut is inside the house.

Later on we will add a roof and deck out the back. To finish the effect of an actuall tiki hut inside the living room.

Slowly but surley my place is coming along. I found a couch and chairs rattan set from the 60's, I still have to redo the cushions on it though. I also have gotten a couple of other goddies from danny that are helping the ambiance. Hopefully once winter is over I can finally have that BBQ that I put off before, my bar should be totally done by then.

Thanks to Danny for having the skills to make an idea a realtiy.

[ Edited by: suicide_sam on 2003-12-26 19:59 ]

K
Kono posted on Fri, Dec 26, 2003 8:43 PM

Damn that's a nice bar. Nice and big too. Most home bars, mine included, are little narrow jobbers that you could easily knock over if you somehow became balance impaired. Your's though, is like a real bar. You could rest your elbows (and later your head) on that sucker all night. Great looking as well. Can't wait to see the progress.

task the chiki and he will deliver. nicely done. you really know how to raise the bar (he he he).

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Dec 27, 2003 3:59 AM

My MAN Sam! howzit braddah? Eh, I never got to say mahaloz fo da hook up while I was on da mainland...THANKS!

Anyways, your on da right path with your new bar! Your pads gonna be sweet with da bar as your focal point!

Yes, very well done and sturdy looking also. The tapa works out great and gives it a very authentic feel. Congratulations! Makes me want a Mai Tai.

Thanks for the props folks. I have to say one thing though. You can't cut up a piece of vintage tapa and feel weird about it. I kept Fred's concept in mind and also the fact that they used to do it in the Tiki Heyday all the time. Life goes on. Oh yeah, the thatched roof is going to be attached to the ceiling and have storage cubby holes behind the fronds. You know, like small overhead cabinets . One function is good, but two is "mo betta"

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-12-27 22:11 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies