Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

bad tiki kharma?

Pages: 1 7 replies

ok, what the hell did I do do to deserve this...
I've been waiting a mnth & a half for these cool tiki s&p's that i bought on ebay. i finally get them the other day & put them on the shelf to enjoy.
Well, I got to enjoy them for about 4 hours before my drunken roomate knocks one off the shelf shattering it.(along with my tiki bob shakers that DIDNT BREAK!)
Deep breath, no problem, off to the land of misfit shakers, stuff happens.
Next: I have my 14 year old nephew staying with me for a week. He thinks my tiki stuff is 'totally kewl' so i have been taking him thrifting with me & teaching him the tricks of the hunt. He's got a good eye & has even spotted some stuff I might've missed. So we are out today & he bags two tiki mugs from the Tonga Room & buys them for HIMSELF!
That weasly little scrub!!
WHAT THE HELL?
I have created too many tiki monsters this way, who decide to start thier own collection after seeing mine.
What do I do? Knock the shit out of him & take them? Feed him an ExLax pizza as revenge? I already tried the "you have angered the gods" routine, didn't work.
Suggestions?

M

Hmmmm, 14 yr old nephew? Wedgie, and if necessary...go nuclear.

Better yet, relate to him some PNG/Sepik headhunter "standard operating procedure". As in DO NOT piss off the senior hunters, no bogart of the mugs, dude! Along with indoctrinating him into Tiki you must insure he plays wells with others and shares.

If all else fails, blackmail! Still, I doubt you have to go beyond Defcon Wedgie 3.

Good luck, I want a Tonga mug as well!

midnite

Which S&P set was it? Maybe someone on the board has the one you need? Is it Salt or Pepper. I know I have several non-matched shakers.

Give a description of the one you need.

Erich Troudt

I think I'm wearing him down, but he said something kinda sweet like "I just wanted to be like you" which almost made me feel terrible for the waistband-ripping melvin I gave him! (would that qualify as 'atomic' midnight?)
Thanks Erich, here is a link to the shaker(s):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2111177521

I don't have a single of those...hell, I don't even have a pair of those. Nice S&P's..well they were nice anyway (sorry).

I do have a statue that matches those.

Come on everybody, dig around in your collection. Somebody out there has a single one of these. It will help out your tiki Karma.

Erich Troudt

W

The tale of the unfortunate mix of gravity and alcohol is a cautionary lesson to us all. And in this tale there is another lesson for the Tiki collector: bigbadtikidaddy found these s&ps under the listing of "totem pole". Another search phrase to add to your arsenal when ferreting out the hidden Tiki on eBay.

As for the nephew student who learned too quickly and too well...I think the mistake was in the teaching. While young relatives are very useful when shopping junk stores (their keen eyesight can spot things sooner than their elders, and small hands can remove a coveted item from another's basket without being noticed) it must be made clear at the outset that "We are looking for Tikis for UNCLE'S collection. Help uncle find neat things for HIMSELF. Later we'll get ice cream." In the case of the beginning collector nephew I'd offer him a half dozen duplicate mugs (or one of those box sets from Archie McPhee's) for the rare finds he scored (and as he's 14 you can't go wrong with throwing a bottle of rum into the trade). If the swap offer fails you may still get another chance at the mugs...He said "I just wanted to be like you", maybe he's going to put them up for sale on eBay.

T

One thing to do with single S & P shakers is to glue a cork on the bottom that fits a bottle and use it as a tiki stopper on a nice bottle of rum.

I'm going to start a thread, where people post their single shakers in hopes of finding the mate or, trade/sell the shaker to someone who needs it.

I'll post pics of my singles late today or tomorrow.

Erich Troudt

Pages: 1 7 replies