Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Inexspensive mask decor

Pages: 1 5 replies

UJ

My wife and I went to West Texas for the holiday season to see her family. We went into Lubbock to hit up a couple of hobby shops to help fuel my model train passion, as well as my father-in-law's.
We stepped into Hobby Lobby to check out trains and xmas lights and made our way to the back. I slipped down the "exotic" isle to get around the post holiday shoppers and to check to see if they had any hidden Moai heads. After passing by bamboo "treasure" chests I noticed some masks sitting close to the floor on a bottom shelf. The masks where all the same size and had the same burlap adornment around the edges, but the prices where different. The first one I picked up looked like a witco piece, with a black face and a weird "handle nose" that started between the eyes and connected at the chin. The price: $25.
A little too much I wanted to spend at the moment, so I looked at the others. The one I found and bought (photo below) was only $15.
The only thing I would improve on it is the hanger. It's just a piece of string. I would replace it and use a leather cord in it's place. I personally love the color of the mask I bought and I plan on going to a local hobby lobby to see if they may have others with different designs or possibly the "witco" inspired one.
Has anyone else found any good wall or room decor anywhere offline (at a well known chain) at a reasonable price? Just interested in knowing.

Here's the mask I bought:

Lubbock, TX...how could anyone fail to find cool shit layin' around the hometown of BUDDY HOLLY!?! I haven't got there yet, but when I do...that'll be the day.

UJ

hopefully you won't die.

Lubbock has produced some good finds. We went through there on our way to Roswell on our honeymoon. We stopped at a little roadside dirt flea market, and lo-and-behold I came home with a perfect Bali Hai mug with lid. We went by the place, it's up for sale and no vendors could be found.

15 bucks is that all? Nice score UJ. Looks like it's about 2 1/2 to 3 ft. tall eh? For me it doesn't have to be tiki, I like tribal stuff also.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jan 1, 2004 9:30 PM

Do hobby shops tend to have stuff like this? And what's this about Moai heads? What's this "exotic" aisle? Please...I must know...

UJ

yeah it's about 3 ft or so.

the way i collect is this: if it gives me that far away/exotic feeling then i'm buying it and putting it in my bar. Personally I know what type of idol/sheild/decor comes from what region. Meaning I know it may have come from the Pacific or from Africa, but if it helps me forget my troubles and stress of the day when I'm around it, then I get it. I know it's not "tiki" (meaning the Pacific islands), but I proudly display it anyways.

Kono:
Hobby Lobby is like Micheal's or MJDesigns or Kirklands in some areas. Basically it's a walmart for craft, fabric, home decor, and very...VERY little hobby. MJD no longer carries model trains and have greatfully scaled back on model cars and such.
The Moai heads mentioned ranged from planters to tables. I personally bought 4 of the planters because they where on clearance and didn't know thye carried such items.

here's an old thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6539&forum=1

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-01-01 21:41 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies