Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Rockabilly?

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

T

Yep, the Crawdaddys. I bought that EP along with the "There She Goes Again" b/w "Why Don't You Smile Now" back in 1980 and flipped out! I played 'em over and over and over. I'll never tire of them.

Dan McLain is second from the right

Both are available on vinyl from Bomp records in their great original picture sleeves:

http://www.bomp.com/Voxx3.html

Or you can buy the CD of Crawdaddy Express which includes the EP and single with the album.

Hanford,
Check this thread for a TC record for the number of replies, within so many days. This was like wildfire!

You know who was really great last Saturday night at the Doll Hut in Anaheim? A band outta Washington called the "Dusty 45s". I was a little scared when they brought out a trumpet but it always showed up right where it should be. Not super traditional rockabilly, but definitly roots-inspired while paying tribute to surf, swing, rockabilly, and blues. For the last song, they lit the horn on fire and did 'Miserlou'. Sooo good! Don't believe me, ask Johnny Velour or Humu or Souicide Sam.

I can't even begin to mention Devil Doll... she played right before the Dusty 45s. Sexy, punk rock blues rockabilly type stuff. If she comes around, you've gotta check her out.

On 2004-01-12 21:53, thejab wrote:
Yep, the Crawdaddys. I bought that EP along with the "There She Goes Again" b/w "Why Don't You Smile Now" back in 1980 and flipped out! I played 'em over and over and over. I'll never tire of them.

Dan McLain is second from the right

You are correct sir!!! Not having the records in front of me threw me. That ep is one rocking slab o' wax.
Thanks for posting the photos!

Let's not forget the GraveDigger V, The Big Express, The Donkey Show, The Trebels, The Mach V, Morlocks ( technically S.F band, I guess )crap San Diego had an amazing music scene back in the day.

Luckydesigns!
You still out there?

Wow, Unga, thanks for noticing. My computer has been screwing with me lately so I haven't been able to get on.

Another guy that I've been listening to for a long time is the unbelievable 'Deke Dickerson and the Ecco-fonics'. The first time I saw him play was when Mike Ness came through Northern CA with his country band back when I was in college. I remember seeing the show at the Crest Theater in Sacramento, a full on sit down classy type joint. I didn't know what to expect when Deke came on with his double neck Moserite guitar but he absolutely floored me. I really think that his guitar playing is equal to that of the top, well-known, guitar greats. He also has an unbelievable voice and is super entertaining. If you're interested in getting versed in his music, Deke just cut a greatest hits record that should be really good. Oh yeah, the kinda music he plays is everything from straight rockabilly to rock n' roll and country to instro stuff.

L

On 2004-01-04 00:17, RentAHero wrote:
Hey everyone, can someone explain to me the term "Rockabilly". I know it means a type of music ...

try Levi Dexter and the Tribe
and

Sigue Sigue Sputnik
for a good dose o da kine.

On 2004-06-13 22:25, Luckydesigns wrote:
Wow, Unga, thanks for noticing. My computer has been screwing with me lately so I haven't been able to get on.

Another guy that I've been listening to for a long time is the unbelievable 'Deke Dickerson and the Ecco-fonics'. The first time I saw him play was when Mike Ness came through Northern CA with his country band back when I was in college. I remember seeing the show at the Crest Theater in Sacramento, a full on sit down classy type joint. I didn't know what to expect when Deke came on with his double neck Moserite guitar but he absolutely floored me. I really think that his guitar playing is equal to that of the top, well-known, guitar greats. He also has an unbelievable voice and is super entertaining. If you're interested in getting versed in his music, Deke just cut a greatest hits record that should be really good. Oh yeah, the kinda music he plays is everything from straight rockabilly to rock n' roll and country to instro stuff.

Ahhhh.. Deke Dickerson! Yes, a great entertainer!
Another band I would recommend is Big Sandy & his Fly Rite Boys!

Rich

the crawdaddys! wow! takes me back a little......was an L.A. mod in the mid 80's but always identified with the San Diego scene more.....I was a beatle boot mod, not a doc marten mod! classic! Fire up the Vespa and slap some patches on the parka! We're headin' to Fender's International Ballroom! hahaha!

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies