Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Landscaping change at the Enchanted Tiki Room?

Pages: 1 35 replies

H

A smattering of us made a visit to Disneyland yesterday (yikes, was it crowded! but still lots of fun), and it looks like there's been a landscaping change at the Enchanted Tiki Room:

This is the view as you enter Adventureland, and we all seemed to remember it being somewhat blocked by a big tree or something. We couldn't see any evidence of a tree having ever been there before; it would have been next to this tiki, unless it was on the other side of that wall:

The entry area has a wide-open feel now, but on the plus side, the tiki room is much more visible as you enter Adventureland. Does anyone remember what was there that is now missing? Or was it a mass hallucination?

Also, I don't know if a pic has been posted here before, but here's the Florida-style tiki in Pizza Oom-Mow-Mow at DCA:

There are a couple of tikis standing out front, but I won't waste your time with the pics because you'll hate them. There was something else there that Doctor Z said was supposed to be a tiki, but it was eating pizza. I refused to even document it; as far as I'm concerned it was a possessed brownie and not a tiki. One has to draw the line somewhere.

In other news, Shelley pouted that night when her sparkly light-up toy was busted:

and Doctor Z beat up Z-girl:

(Actually, he's got Shelley's light-up thing in his hand and he's trying to fix it.)

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-01-04 10:05 ]

There was a shade trellis to the left of entering the lanai.... that seems to be missing in the photo. I haven't been by the park in recent days to notice yet.

And I'd suspect those barrels are covering up where the posts were removed, either in preps for rebuilding the trellis, or hide work in progress to remove it permanently.

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-01-04 12:11 ]

What was the actual show like? We recently went to the one in Orlando, and it was awful. Lots of singing birds and way too much Gilbert Gottfried, very little tiki at all. Is it the same out there?

Humuhumu - You're right. The Enchanted Tiki Room wallpaper on my computer clearly shows a big palm trunk on the left of the stairs. Unfortunatly my wallpaper dosen't take in as much as your pic, but it is different.

On 2004-01-04 12:49, tiki.head wrote:
What was the actual show like? We recently went to the one in Orlando, and it was awful. Lots of singing birds and way too much Gilbert Gottfried, very little tiki at all. Is it the same out there?

What kind of tiki room is there in Orlando? Is it at Disney?

KD

Do you know what the rest of the sign say's in the second pic? Koro means village in Fijian, I never noticed it before.

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2004 4:19 PM

What kind of tiki room is there in Orlando? Is it at Disney?

We were there last October. Here's the thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5860&forum=2

DZ

On 2004-01-04 12:09, Traderpup wrote:
There was a shade trellis to the left of entering the lanai.... that seems to be missing in the photo. I haven't been by the park in recent days to notice yet.

And I'd suspect those barrels are covering up where the posts were removed, either in preps for rebuilding the trellis, or hide work in progress to remove it permanently.

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-01-04 12:11 ]

The big print cloth 'awning' that now hangs over the center of the courtyard used to be over on the left side as well. They appear to have replaced some of the 'stained glass' hanging lights outside the Tiki Room exit, but not the puffers - in fact the remaing puffer wasn't even lit!

There's also a 3-ft. Florida-style carved tiki in the 'Trading Post' across from the Jungle Cruise. It's part of the display of Shag's Tiki Room 40th Anniversary stuff (shirts, matted prints, mousepads, notecards - all of it waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced...)

M

There used to be an A-Frame hut that was right over the turnstile. It fell down a few years back during a big wind storm and was never replaced. There used to be a very tall thin palm treet that grew to the left of the stairwell that leads into the theater. That was either chopped off or fell down in the wind(the base is still there).

There has been a lot of murmuring in the Disney groups about the deteriorating condition of the Tiki Room. The word on the street is that the new head-honcho at Disneyland is all about fixing up the old stuff at the park, so maybe the Tiki Room will be fixed up some. The last major overhaul was back in 94.

T

Yep, went back into my photos and found the trellis that used to be there....I thought a tree being there didn't seem correct, but I couldn't remember what WAS there.

Awesome time at DL last Saturday, thanks to Al, Shelley, Tim, Jeff, Caroline and Michelle!

Mahalo...and don't forget to visit the huge Tiki Gallery at:
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net
http://www.tikimug.net
http://www.tikimugs.net

[ Edited by: tikihula on 2004-01-06 18:13 ]

H

Ahhhh... that makes sense. I couldn't remember a tree being there, either, but I knew it had changed somehow since I was last there in November. I wonder if the shade trellis will be replaced; I imagine the shade could be much-needed in the summertime, but I think entering Adventureland is more dramatic now that you can see the Tiki Room more easily.

H

More changes at the tiki room, unless I've been completely braindead and have always missed this great big tiki pole!

Hello,
That pole of Tiki's is nothing but a couple of the pre-show Tiki's stacked up! If you look at the bottom tiki and the 3rd one up, they are both the same as Koro "The Midnight Dancer". The 2nd one up in the middle is Rongo "God of Agriculture". These were not always there. It seems to me that these might have come from the Tahitian Terrace (now closed). Anybody have more info? Tangaroa?

T

Hard to say. It is entirely possible that they came from Tahitian Terrace & were "klouged" together - they did make a lot of copies of the lanai gods that were in the long gone restaurant....

Aloha all..

I asked some of my friends at Imagineering, and they say that the "stacked tikis" have been there since the Tiki Room was opened in 1963. The large A-Frame shelter that used to be at the entrance was so big that people never paid any attention to the detail on the pole.

Also, in response to the comments about the deterioration of the Tiki Room, there was a rehab scheduled for this past year (June), but that was put on hold when Disneyland decided to have a 40th Anniversary Celebration for Tikis. The rehab is now scheduled to take place this year sometime, and will address the building (roof in particular), show elements, and possibly replacing missing structures that have deteriorated and been removed (like the trellis and the large A-Frame structure).

As for the comments about my Tiki Room here at Walt Disney World, I am with you, the new show doesn't hold a tiki torch to the old one, but I would much rather have that show there than none at all. That was our only other option. :( Would you rather see it gone completely?

I think not.

Hello,
I did some research.... The Tiki pole outside of the Tiki Room was NOT always there. I don't know how to post a picture, but I found a postcard that clearly shows this area. There is nothing but a smooth pole were the Tiki Pole is now. I don't know what year this picture is from, but it is from 1963 or later as you can also see the Barker Bird above the entrance. Speaking of, I have read that United Airlines started sponsoring the attraction in 1964, but the Tiki Room opened in 1963! What's the deal? Was it really sponsorless for a year? If so, was there no Pre-show since the original mentions United Airlines? Can anybody solve this mystery? Tangaroa? Thanks!
Your friend,
Louis

H

While I was at Walt Disney World in Orlando (with my fabulous tour guide, Tiki Bob), I saw this cool old model in the "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" walkthrough exhibit at Disney-MGM Studios. The sign accompanying it says it was made in 1954 by Fred Joerger. This might be from when it was still being conceived as a restaurant -- the side of the building you can see here is one half of a hexagon, and the opposite side you can't see is what became the Plaza Gardens (if my memory for Disneyland geography is serving me at the moment). The detail on the model is really great, my photos don't really do it justice. Also, my pics are only capturing about 1/3 of the model, the rest of the model shows the dock for the Jungle Cruise and some of the Adventureland bazaar.

That's a beautiful model! I've never seen it before. If that is really from 1954, then it's not for the Tiki Room. The idea for the Tiki Room didn't come up until the early 60's. The model is most likely for a Polynesian restaurant. Years before the Tiki Room, there was a Polynesian themed restaurant there. When they built the Tiki Room, they re-did the restaurant into the Tahitian Terrace we all remember and love.

H

Oh, of course! That makes much more sense. I didn't realize there had been a Polynesian restaurant there before the Tiki Room/Tahitian Terrace arrived. Do you happen to know what it was called?

T

Wow! I didn't know that they had saved that model - nice pics Humu!
The was a restaurant/dining area where the Tahitian Terrace was from day one - but it was the Plaza Pavilion Restaurant...! You would enter through the Vctorian facade on Main Street and be served and seated on a patio overlooking the Jungle Cruise...!

It always had a Polynesian theme to it - as this rendering from the 1955 guide book shows:

Here in this construction shot - you can see the A frame & the distinctive Polynesian influence - which was just expanded upon, once it became the Tahitian Terrace in '62...

I'm so glad they saved that model & it's not buried in a box somewhere! So many early Disneyland models have been trashed....

On 2004-03-06 22:28, Tikitackett wrote:

I asked some of my friends at Imagineering, and they say that the "stacked tikis" have been there since the Tiki Room was opened in 1963.

No offense to Tikitackett - but Atomobile is right - that pole with the stacked tikis has only been there since the 90s. I used to work the show there - the Summer before I went to college!

Best,

Chris

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-04-09 13:11 ]

Hello Tangaroa,
There is SO MUCH history on the Enchanted Tiki Room. It surprises me that "E" Ticket Magazine never dedicated an article to it! Yes, there have been a couple Adventureland where they touch on the Tiki Room for about a paragraph, and interviews were it is mentioned...but beyond that, there is nowhere to learn about the Tiki Room history. Even the wonderful "The Nickel Tour," which has 2 full pages on the attraction, fails to provide any real history. They even mock the attraction saying that it's glory days are over. Bad Gordon! I was thinking Tangaroa, since you do work for the magazine, that would make an incredible comeback to the zine with a LENGHTY article on the attraction. There is much yet to be documented. There are no extensive websites on it (such as Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Inner Space have). Theme park magazine did an INCREDIBLE job on the Pirates magazine. I would like to see a similar piece on Tiki Room. If there is anybody who can put this together, it would be you TOngaroa with E Ticket's help. Please!!!...
Atomobile :)

I used to work out at the Tiki Juice Bar back in the early 90's. The multi Tiki Pole was added when they widened the entrance to Adventureland for the opening of Indiana Jones back in 1993 I think.

T

On 2004-04-10 19:04, Atomobile wrote:
It surprises me that "E" Ticket Magazine never dedicated an article to it! ... there is nowhere to learn about the Tiki Room history. ... that would make an incredible comeback to the zine with a LENGHTY article on the attraction. There is much yet to be documented. ...If there is anybody who can put this together, it would be you Tongaroa with E Ticket's help. Please!!!...
Atomobile :)

Hey Louis -
Jack Janzen is still determining how the future of the magazine is going to play out - so even though I have suggested a Tiki Room Issue, it is really up to him! The next Issue will feature the Haunted Mansion, an interview with Walt's daughter Sharon & possibly a bit of a tribute to Leon....
But if there is a Tiki Room Issue in the works, you can be sure I will let TC members know first!

http://www.the-e-ticket.com/Issue_page_39.html

H

A kinda-scary update on the Enchanted Tiki Room refurbishment: it had been planned to take place over two months this fall, but the latest refurbishment schedule has the Tiki Room closed from July 30 - March 15 of next year. (!!!) It has the connected Plaza Pavilion and Aladdin's Oasis closed at the same time. There had been some speculation that there may be serious structural damage to the building, and there was also speculation that they could change some show elements a la the Orlando version. My teeny, fragile brain cannot handle the thought that our beloved tiki room could turn into the Orlando version, so my own personal prediction is that they're doing the right thing and fixing the building and cleaning the show up a bit. And if anyone hears anything to the contrary -- LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

I actually know one of the guys who's been contracted to work on the Tiki Room refurbishment design -- I'll see if I can sweet talk some info out of him.

On 2004-05-24 17:18, Humuhumu wrote:
I actually know one of the guys who's been contracted to work on the Tiki Room refurbishment design -- I'll see if I can sweet talk some info out of him.

Hell, why you’re at it, sweet talk him out of one of the spare robotic birds for my bar.:)

I want to apologize...when I posted the reply about the tiki pole at the entrance to Adventureland, I found out that my friend was relying on some seriously BAD information from his other friend at WDI. I have since smacked him. He won't lie again. :)

(If he does...I will sick Pele on him.)

Hello,
Regarding the refurb time, nothing but good news. The original show is not going anywhere. I know a few Imagineers involved. I found out the scoop. They are doing lots of building and audio-animatronic fixing. They want to bring this attraction back to it's original glory. As we speak, they are going thru the original masters and cleaning them up. By the time they are done mixing this, it should sound like it was recorded yesterday. They are fully aware that the last audio restoration (in the 90's) was shit. They are doing it right this time. The complete, restored soundtrack should be available on next years Disneyland 6 CD box set. Once it is completely restored, they are still planning to cut out the Offenbach number as they fear walkouts. I need to clarify, ONE Imagineer fears walkouts. His name is BG and he has big influence on the project unfortunately. I say enhance the fountain and keep the number! Oh well, at least they are not putting in the Florida show. By the way, Disney realizes what an awful show the new Florida show is and they will NEVER repeat that mistake. They can't really take it out without much expense. The new show has lots of new elements that are not easy to take out (at least not cheaply).
So all in all, the whole point is to restore the Tiki Room back to it's original glory and they realized it would take longer than 2 months. It should be beautiful by the park's 50th!
Your friend,
Louis Gonzalez

On 2004-05-25 10:51, Atomobile wrote:
Hello,
Regarding the refurb time, nothing but good news. The original show is not going anywhere.

I concur with Louis here - a few of my old cohorts have conformed that the show will remain "as is" (minus Offenbach of course), after the rehab.

Good news!

T

Whewww! I was worried there- when I saw it was going to be closed for so long I feared a progam change. Let me be the first to say I'm sooooo relieved!!

This has been a fascinating thread to read, thanks for all the Tiki Room trivia and history!

A

...they are still planning to cut out the Offenbach number as they fear walkouts.

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the Offenbach number?

-Randy

It was an extended classical music bit with whistling birds and singing flowers (no lyrics). I beleive that Offenbach was the composer. It was removed from the original performance to reduce the length and keep guests interest. I remember listening to it as a kid and feeling nice and relaxed. You could close your eyes and practically fall asleep.

The part of the "Offenbach number" that was found offensive was the line from one of the parrots: "You stay offen my back & I'll stay offen yours." I still don't get how that's offensive myself.

I don't think it was the line that was offensive - it was just that people who were gettin' squirrely, waiting for something "big" to happen would use this opportunity to exit the show early. When I worked there in 1990, people would just walk out of the show, right in the middle of it sometimes...
So WDI decided to cut that part out in order to shorten the show - in hopes that more people would stay through the whole thing...

On 2004-05-24 17:18, Humuhumu wrote:

oh SH*T... please don't tell me that Patrick got the job????????

this is absolutely awful news guys. this guy DOES NOT GET IT in the teeniest tinyest bit.

we need to start a write-in campaign or sum thin' with the annual passholders to save the tiki room.

ok - i just read some more of the posts - i still don't trust them to not screw with it - we should keep a watchful eye... and let them know people are looking.

H

Nope, just found out that he'd been dropped from the project (I think as part of the change of plans). I may have some details from him after this weekend.

Pages: 1 35 replies