Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The tacky tiki.....A challenge.

Pages: 1 14 replies

8T

Hello all. Below is a photo of a recent acquisition. It is a set of shoe care items including a shoe brush and shoe horn. We actually paid for these when the seller should have paid us to carry them away! So here's the challenge: Show us some pics of the tackiest tiki items you've run across. That tissue dispenser someone posted awhile back would defiinitely qualify. That was the tiki that has the tissues coming out his nose. Have fun and let's see what tacky tiki means to you.

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-01-04 20:09 ]

D

OMGosh! I had won an auction on ebay a long time ago for something Tikish, anyway the seller mailed me the item I had won and that same shoe horn and clothes brush set, for free. He said he had never met anyone interested in Tiki type things before and he thought I might like them. I thought it was a really nice thing to do.

T

I was looking for a place to post my new find and this seemed the most appropriate. I used the mug for scale so you could see the size. No makers marks on it but truly a Tacky Tiki:

M

OMIGODD!, You found the elusive rare "Blutiki". THe last one on ebay went for under $1851.00 !!!!! :)

wink!

H

We've got one of those somewhere around here -- I emptied it out the other day and it took forever. I think Hanford got it as a gift.

T

Oh well, not quite an e-bay worthy find! So much for the elusive "Blutiki"!!! Still, it's not every day you find a tiki that is quite so, um how can I say this, affordable and unique. Marked down for quick sale to $5.00!!

So I've seen the ones to drool over, how about ones to scratch your head over?

So As 8ft Tiki requested so long ago: show me some tacky tiki please?

Tikisgrl

Tacky? Those tiki shoe utensils are genius! The appropriation of the Tiki idol for every day use objects is what Polynesian Pop is all about! Never seen that one done before, I always am happy to see the Tiki put to yet another use.

Tacky Tiki to me is nouveaux Tiki a la K-mart, Poly-Asian style, or in garish colors, or overly cartoony Tikis having no resemblence to the source, like those toy figures (name?).

You know, I'm actually in need of a shoe horn! If I saw a tiki one, as tacky as it may be, I'd buy it to use.

Hi there. I am a long time reader of Tiki Central, but have never submitted, until I saw this post. I received these tacky tikis as a gift this past Christmas. The giver must have stopped and thought, "who could live without tiki butter knives?" As you can probably guess, they are still sitting in the drawer, unused, waiting a future tiki party.

J

Does it get any tackier than "Elviki"?

Good topic.
Here's my submission... The elusive Giant S&P Shakers!

Aloha,
:tiki:

T

I might have the winner here & yes I paid money for it...

Not a lot though... It's the Maori planter gone bad!!!

K
Kono posted on Sun, Jan 22, 2006 4:46 PM

Oh, you haven't seen tacky yet...

Once upon a time, I was so tiki deprived that I'd buy anything that was even remotely "tiki." And that's how I came to own this rather unique piece of vintage tiki art.

Behold!

Where's my prize?

T

Um Prize... Is there a prize? Well no not really!! But if there was one Kono you probably would win... Although, I think my planter just lost another piece of his nose!

Anybody else out there have anything to add to the quest for Tiki-tackiest?

Tikisgrl

I Tikidog Dare Everyone to make some form of tacki tiki art within the month of Feb. OUTSIDER art is finding tiki

Pages: 1 14 replies