Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai mix at the grocery store

Pages: 1 39 replies

S

Okay, now I beleive the tiki revolution is upon us. I was at Kroger looking at the regular stock of mixes, mainly Sweet and Sour and there it was "Mai Tai" mix! There with the Bloody Mary and the Margarita and the olives and onions and soda water, Mai Tai. You know we have made it now. What was next to it really made me laugh though. Cosmopolitan mix. ????? It's freakin' fake cranberry juice! I can see it now, "I made one at home with my cranberry juice, but it didn't taste like at the bar. So I got this stuff with all these artificial ingredients at the store and it's just right." Trader Vic's needs to jump on this stuff now.

In a pinch I use the Trader Vics Mai Tai mix. Then I customize it a little. Use spiced rum and put in a glob of cream du coconut.

Its pretty good.

P

I find the store bought Vic's Mix to be a bit too tart when mixed using the recipe on the label, so I add a little extra orgeat and a couple shakes of orange bitters. It works well and makes the Mai Tai taste much more like what you get in the bar at TVs.

Other Mai Tai mixes are kind of disappointing. There is one by Tahiti Joe's and one by Mr. & Mrs. T as well as a couple of others. Both have a strange mix of friuty and chemically tastes that are very un- Mai Tai like. If using a mix, stick with Vic's.

H

The only Mai Tai mix I had an easy time finding in Seattle was the Mr & Mrs T's; I never touched the stuff. Swanky, it's interesting that your local grocery store is only stocking it now, I've been seeing Mai Tai mix at the store since I was a kid.

M

Well, in Oregon you have a really f-ed up Liquor situation. You have to go to the Liquor store (run by the state) to get all your hard liquor. I envy all you who can wander into you local super marts and walk out with some hooch.

Being in the frigid NW (about 5 inches of snow and an inch of ice on the gorund right now), we indulge in the Hot Buttered Rum. I was shocked and amazed when I went into my local QFC (also Kroger owned) and didn see any HBR mix but actual Trader Vics brand Tom and Jerry mix.

TM1

I actually tried the Mr. T's brand mix the other night..not too bad..not as good as one of Tiki Bong's Mai-tais, of course!

I got it becuase they were out of trader vics, which is actually quite good..(if you add the lime juice!!!)

After about 12 huge ones, I could no longer tell the difference, but the next DAY (to quote Shelley berman) "my toungue was asleep, and my teeth itched!!"

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 2:30 PM

No liquor in the grocery stores here, just beer.

I believe I've seen the Mr. and Mrs. T's stuff in stores around here years ago. Somebody needs to try this stuff out just so we can all be told exactly how awful it really is. If I see it around here I'll do it and give a report.

(God I hope I don't see it around here now...)

I

I'll offer my two cents' worth about the Mr. & Mrs. T's mai tai mix. Treacly and cloying and I'm not too sure there's any orgeat in it. It'll do in a pinch, like last month when I wanted to put down a few mai tais, but didn't want to drive to the bar. I cut the sweetness with some light pineapple juice and a dash of water, otherwise I'd be reaching for the pepto!

I'd rather NOT drink any mixes that take their flavor cues from Mr. OR Mrs. T. We all have our desperate moments- alone in a strange city with no Tiki flavor whatsoever, but take my word for it and pass on the "Mr/Mrs." swill. Spend your money on a small bottle of Grand Marnier, a bottle of Almond extract (baking aisle of any grocer), fresh limes and some good rum. Not for the purist, but after the 3rd one what the hell.

T

Swanky, it's interesting that your local grocery store is only stocking it now, I've been seeing Mai Tai mix at the store since I was a kid.

Hey Humuhumu, I didn't know you've been drinking Mai Tais since you were a kid... me too!! :wink:

I agree that the T's stuff is junk and that the Vic's Mai Tai mix is pretty good if used with lime. But nothing beats the Old Fashioned Mai Tai recipe!! (hmmmm, is Monday at noon too early in the week to start drinkin'??)

Mahalo...and don't forget to visit the huge Tiki Gallery at:
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net
http://www.tikimug.net
http://www.tikimugs.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2004-01-12 13:06 ]

For what its worth, the liquor clerk at Smitties Grocery store in Joplin, MO told us on New Years Eve that she had been selling more Mr & Mrs T's Mai Tai mix than usual the last few months. We thought that drinking out of our tiki mugs to end a year that had been so infused with tiki would be fitting so we bought some and tried it. This was my first Mai Tai so I'm no judge of how it tasted, but I did find the report that there was actually an increasing demand for the stuff to be interesting.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-01-13 00:20 ]

D

The liquor stores here in Massachusetts and the bordering states do not carry Trader Vic's mai tai mix; they only carry Mr. and Mrs. T's. I personally find this stuff to be most dreadful! I prefer Trader Vic's mix, which I also think is not spectacular, but it is quite expensive to have shipped here to the Boston area. The last time I ordered a case of it, it cost me the same amount in shipping is it did for six bottles of the stuff! I just don't find it to be worth that!

C' mon people, lay off the mixes! Pick up some fresh limes, orgeat and orange curacao and make your Mai Tais by hand. They'll taste soooooo much better. It's worth the extra 30 seconds.

I

Yes, Quince, hand-mixed are waaaaay better, but I'm a lazy bugguh! After a long day at work and a tough workout, sometimes a mix is the way to go.

I find this funny: in northern Virginia, the only place I know of that sells Trader Vic's mai tai mix is a middle eastern grocery. It is kind of funny to get my TV Mai Tai mix right down the aisle from the hookahs and shisha and "allahu akbar" tapestries. All a man could need!

Yeah, middle eastern groceries are often a good place to look if you can't find something--you'd really be surprised! I needed some passion fruit syrup and didn't have time to order any from Trader Vic's, so I looked at an Indian grocery and behold! I found some that turned out to be actually pretty good! It contained real juice and pectin and not a whole lot of crap!

Actually, as far as mixes go, I'd like to get my mitts on some Trader Vic Mai Tai Concentrate--not Mai Tai Mix like you can order online--but the stuff they use at the restaurants, which tastes a lot better.

L

On 2004-01-12 13:06, TikiHula wrote:

Hey Humuhumu, I didn't know you've been drinking Mai Tais since you were a kid... me too!!

hohaaa!

Sounds like a new subject/thread:
When was your first drink?
Me, I started with Primo at age 12.
Just an experiement.
Dad said here, son. This'll put lead in yer pencil.
First maiTai, age 14: Dad said: Here, son; this'll put hair on yer chest!
Then when old enuff to look as if i drink, at about 16 or so, (since Hawaii had a legal minimum at 18), it was pina coladas, Blue Hawaiians and one dollah maitais each and every nite! and the ubiquitous Primo during the day at Waikiki.....

S

I buy the cheap Mai Tai mix from .99 Cent Little Bucks for 99 cents a bottle. I then use it to make frozen Mai Tais in a blender. Add light Rum and Grenadine to the ice and Mai Tai mix, makes a great drink.

On 2004-05-20 09:36, Iolani wrote:
Yes, Quince, hand-mixed are waaaaay better, but I'm a lazy bugguh! After a long day at work and a tough workout, sometimes a mix is the way to go.

I find this funny: in northern Virginia, the only place I know of that sells Trader Vic's mai tai mix is a middle eastern grocery. It is kind of funny to get my TV Mai Tai mix right down the aisle from the hookahs and shisha and "allahu akbar" tapestries. All a man could need!

Iolani,

if you went to the Honolulu Restaurant, you might be pleased to know that you can buy David chan's mai tai mix through their website http://www.time2tiki.com . Best mai tai mix i've tasted. ( I have no affiliation with the restaurant, etc. it's just a great mix)

The wayward one

ps. where is the middle eastern grocery?

The real thing is too easy to make. I keep a botle of Trader Vic's on hand for those rare times when I am too loaded to find the limes!

Do they have diet Mai Tai mix ... ?

Yes the Mr and Mrs T stuff has been out, at least in Southern Cali, for several years now. If you haven't tried it, don't even bother. It's a bland syrup mess. You might as well pour rum in Aunt Jamima syrup and serve over your pancakes. The Trader Vics is okay at best. Fresh limes is the key to cutting through the sweetness of it. And I find that it's better to add lime to taste. I often find one isn't enough. A solid ounce and a half is a good place to start. It is true that the best Mai Tais are hand made, but if you're entertaining a bunch of guests, it's great. And if you're ashamed that you're using a mix, just rip the lable off and tell everyone that it's your secret blend. Cheers!

RB

Hand-made is the best, but Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix does come in handy when you're camping. I brought it along several times this past summer, and I didn't have to also bring bottles of curacao, orgeat and simple syrup. Plus you can also use the mix to make non-alcoholic Mai Tais...a big hit with the kids. Up here in the Northwest, Safeway is carrying it.
:drink:

[ Edited by: Rum Balls on 2004-10-06 21:50 ]

[ Edited by: Rum Balls on 2004-10-06 21:51 ]

I also discovered TV's Mai Tai mix at a local Safeway (thanks Turbogod!) and I found it to be good in a pinch or in a bought of laziness! I also found that when served to those unaccustomed to strong drinks it went over pretty well! Personally I love an authentic Mai Tai but when I serve them to guests they look as if they'd been served gasoline! The mix makes a sweeter Mai Tai and was even a big hit with my mother-in-law who even waters down beer with 7-Up.

I used to get the ready-mixed Trader Vic's Mai Tai at Trader Joe's, here in LA. You didn't have to add anything at all -- the rum was already in it. It was great way to save time mixing drinks at parties, but Trader Joe's said no one was buying it so they don't order it anymore. I've called everywhere to find it. Trader Vic's told me who licensed it from them, and made it for them, but when I called the guy he never returned my call.

I hear ya Surf Seal. I picked up that TV Mai Tai in a bottle three or four times at the Trader Joes here in San Diego, but one day it just disappeared never to be seen again. On a happier note though, I painstakingly built myself a Mai Tai this afternoon from all the correct ingredients I could lay my hands on following the original Trader Vic's formula (w/ the exception of bar syrup for rock candy syrup) and it rocked.

SS

Shipwreckjoey, I suppose it is better to slow down your drinking by mixing your Mai Tai from scratch anyway. The pre-mixed stuff was making it way too convenient.

T

Yikes, No TV Mai Tai mix at my safeway anymore! I have checked three weeks now and not to be found. :-?

H

Here is a good story, I went to Trader Vic's with my husband last week. we had some mai tais which were just great. Ben the bartender was talking to us all night, he has been there since 1970. Anyways when we were ready to leave he gave me a bottle of Trader Vic's original formula Mai Tai Consentrate which is for professional use only so it says on the bottle.Ben told me to follow the instructions and I should have a great drink just like his... It is dark brown in color and a little thick.

W

Hiltiki,
What a cool thing! Gen-u-wine TV Mai-TAi mix.
Please, please, please post the instructions, ingredient list other info etc from the label. Also, look, sniff, swirl, taste etc. Please let us experience this stuff vicariously!
Thanks,
Will

Living in the wine country, most of our stores overstock in the wine section and
leave out some of the better rums and mixers. I am fortunate to find a locally
owned store named the Bottle Barn, which is an equal opportunity drinking store, for sure!

We are able to find all the Trader Vic mixes: Mai Tai, Coconut, Orgeat, rock
candy, etc. They even carry the Shag canisters full of flavored sugars.

After checking out Beachbum Berry's web site, I decided to try the $100 Mai Tai
recipe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Saint James Rum from Martinque, or the
Marie Brizard Orange curacao. So we improvised with another expensive Martinque rum and
Hiram Walker orange curacao. The fresh limes are available now for $.27 at the
store too. Mixing up a batch as the recipe goes, we found the $100 mai tai to be very good,
but a on the "alcohol tasting" (kinda a bourbon taste) side. Adding a bit more orange curacao, lime,
and mixers took a bit of the edge off.

Then we tried the plain, simple Trader Vic's mai tai mix with our regular dark rum and
fresh lime juice. I will admit that the premixed TV mix gave the $100 mai tai a run
for its money. Maybe you have to grow a taste for the traditional mai tai after you are
used to the TV and premixed
versions (kinda like going from white zinfandel wine to a nice
chardonnay or pinot noir).

I will continue working with the $100 receipe and see if I can find the right
touches to make it work. Incidentally, the $100 mai tai actually amounted to about $85,
and with approx 25 pours from the rums, each
glass amounts less than $3.50.

We have tried many of the other Mai tai mixes on the market, and Trader Vic's is the
only one we will buy now.

H

WillTiki, here it goes, word by word...Trader Vic's famous Mai Tai...fill a double Old-Fashioned glass with shaved ice and add: Juice of one lime (I have). 3/4 oz. Trader Vic's Mai Tai Concentrate. 1 oz. Trader Vic's Authentic Dark Rum(yeah..I have this my husband bought it for me a while ago).1 oz. Trader Vic's Premium Gold Rum(oops, shocky-docky, I dont have this one *@%$#)Mix well and garnish with mint sprig,(I have in my garden), pineapple spear, cherry. Ben said "follow instructions exactly as is"...soooo I wont be making this, for one thing it is noon and I have to go back to work and second, I dont have the *$%# rum..I hmmmm...I wonder, I have other rum all over the place...Maybe tonight I will try and post..

Hiltiki,

Wow, thanks for the cool info...mmmm MaiTai! It sounds similar to the delicious MaiTai mix made by David Chan of the now closed Honolulu Restaurant in Alexandria Virginia. He was a bartender for Trader Vic's in DC. They bottle and sell the mix via their website:

http://www.time2tiki.com/

Could you do one more test for us? Take a small amount of the TV MT mix and mix it with some cold club soda at a five to one ratio (one part mix to 5 parts soda) and see if it tastes like a lime coke with almond. or just taste it straight for that matter.
My point is, they are getting that dark color from somewhere. If you mix a TV MaiTai "to spec and from scratch" from the officially accepted recipe(s), using available rums of course, such as St. James and Appleton's, it is just not as dark as one made from the Trader Vic's commercial dark syrup mix that you have. Although, it is darker than one made from the grocery store type Trader Vic's mix. The rums and the curacao are not dark enough to do it. Something containing a great deal of caramel coloring is necessary to get that reddish dark brown color when mixed and I suspect that something to be cola syrup.

H

WillTiki, here are the ingredirnts off the bottle. High Fructose corn syrup, water, natural flavors, (yeah right!!), Sodium Benzoate (E211) allright!(a perservative), artificial caramel color.......Although I have a well stocked bar SODA is definately missing tonight.... I will let you know...:drink:

K

On 2005-05-16 10:21, tikiwinebear wrote:

After checking out Beachbum Berry's web site, I decided to try the $100 Mai Tai
recipe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Saint James Rum from Martinque, or the
Marie Brizard Orange curacao. So we improvised with another expensive Martinque rum and
Hiram Walker orange curacao.

I suspect the rum substitution was less noticeable than the curacao. I've found alot of very obvious taste variations in the various brands of curacaos... most tend to be too sweet/thin tasting.

There have been threads taste-testing the various curacaos...

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10742
-and-
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4538&forum=10&start=15

I'm sure "rum gurus" will be all over me for minimising the difference due to the rum substitution, but for now with my relatively inexperienced rum palate, the differences between same type/grade/country-of-origin rums is more subtle than I can divine in a MIXED drink.

we found the $100 mai tai to be very good,
but a on the "alcohol tasting" (kinda a bourbon taste) side. Adding a bit more orange curacao, lime, and mixers took a bit of the edge off.

It sounds like you didn't shake it with enough ice. I've made the same mistake before in assuming the role of ice in the bartender's arsenal is cooling: it's only half of its job. The other is dilution, and it's just as important.

I already learned this the hard way with Martinis... I kept wondering why mine tasted so damned "hot" and intoxicating... when I realised that they didn't use frozen vodka and chilled vermouth at the bar, and they shook it up with lots of ice.

=Kukoae=

H

WillTiki, yeaterday I had several maitai with the mix mentioned above, they came out excellent. Real nice, I tried the mix by itself and it tastes like a mixture of licorice and almond flavoring in real heavy dark sugary tasting syrup.

T

I found this brand "Kukui" Mai Tai mix at a grocery store in Maui , by far the best I have tried , I believe it is made in Kaua`i by the same company that makes Koloa Rum . Much beter than Trader Vics (a bit more expensive) , but I think it may only be available in Hawaii .

http://kimmusgrove.com/portfolio/Kukui%20Brand/kukui_specialty.html

You all should be ashamed of yourselves!

HT

On 2013-04-28 00:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
You all should be ashamed of yourselves!

Hahahahaaha. Indeed!

On 2013-04-27 18:23, toadman wrote:
I found this brand "Kukui" Mai Tai mix at a grocery store in Maui , by far the best I have tried , I believe it is made in Kaua`i by the same company that makes Koloa Rum . Much beter than Trader Vics (a bit more expensive) , but I think it may only be available in Hawaii .

http://kimmusgrove.com/portfolio/Kukui%20Brand/kukui_specialty.html

What store did you find this in?

Pages: 1 39 replies