Tiki Central / California Events

Shag's Enchanted Tiki Room Part Deux - January 24th

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:00 ]

T

Oh God...will it ever end? :P

JT

That only gives me two weeks to practice running over senior citizens and small children! Maybe my baseball cleats will give me better traction this time around.

Watch out ModMana!!

(I think I'm going to invest all my idle cash in tulips; I hear Holland has some sort of deal going on...)

Unfortunately the Shag/Tulip thing while containg elements of truth, has less bearing than the Disney freak thing...

Them peoples am scary!!! And they will continue to pay more for anything Disney as the event recedes into distant memory.

The Fact that a 100-300 run of mugs or other product may have a problem selling out among the small tiki-phile population, is moot when dealing with the millions of Disney freaks worldwide.

I predict the frenzy will make Thunderdome look like amateur night out.

TG

On 2004-01-09 09:26, Jax Tiki wrote:
That only gives me two weeks to practice running over senior citizens and small children! Maybe my baseball cleats will give me better traction this time around.

Watch out ModMana!!

Get one of those scooters for seniors, and mount sharp pointing thingies all over it. Then forge a doctors note about some rare condition. Then give it to the Disney Army representative at the front gate so you can move to the head of the line...

Oh how the strains of "Stukas Over Disneyland" sound so good right now...

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-01-09 23:16 ]

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:01 ]

Once is enough. Im skipping out.

On 2004-01-09 23:39, BaronV wrote:

With Shag not going to be there and the Tiki Room celebrating it's 40 year, 7 month, and 1 day anniversary that day (and looking like a hut hit by an Air Cav Huey), (Message edited to correct spelling errors)

Check out The Covetous Neighbor @ http://covetshag.blogspot.com/

Josh "Shag" Agle Tracking Guide

Unofficial, Unscientific, Unsubstantiated, Unreliable...

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-01-09 23:39 ]

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-01-09 23:42 ]

Maybe we should go down with a boombox Playing Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyrie"!

On 2004-01-10 11:28, TikiGardener wrote:

Maybe we should go down with a boombox Playing Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyrie"!

Wouldn't that be a Bamboom Box?

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-01-10 12:59 ]

Ok, whos building the first Bamboom Box? Ben?

I got that tune on my cell phone ringer! "I love the smell of Bamboo in the morning!"

On 2004-01-09 23:15, TikiGardener wrote:

Watch out ModMana!!

Get one of those scooters for seniors, and mount sharp pointing thingies all over it. Then forge a doctors note about some rare condition. Then give it to the Disney Army representative at the front gate so you can move to the head of the line...

I guess the Dickies "Stukas Over Disneyland" is better than "If Stuart Could Talk"... Does anyone else keep hearing Sparks "Mickey Mouse" when they walk through Toon Town?

"And my name is Mickey Mouse
To the right is Minnie Mouse
And we own a little place in Disneyland, California"

Does anyone know what the new mug's supposed to look like? I might go if it looks good, but I'll get there earlier & run faster than last time...

On 2004-01-12 10:00, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2004-01-09 23:15, TikiGardener wrote:

Watch out ModMana!!

I guess the Dickies "Stukas Over Disneyland" is better than "If Stuart Could Talk"... Does anyone else keep hearing Sparks "Mickey Mouse" when they walk through Toon Town?

"And my name is Mickey Mouse
To the right is Minnie Mouse
And we own a little place in Disneyland, California"

Does anyone know what the new mug's supposed to look like? I might go if it looks good, but I'll get there earlier & run faster than last time...

If Stuart could talk...what would he say?

I love The Dickies. I remember hearing Stukas Over Disneyland on on Sal U Loyds "Disaster Piece Theater". It was a beautiful moment. Almost as beautiful was when I went to see The Lords of the New Church at Magic Mountain (of all places!) and as they did their second set, we rode the Log ride up behind the stage. The guy in seat behind us had a Stukas Over Disneyland T-Shirt. We sank the Log, and ran amok on the ride grounds. Staff wasn't very happy.

Ah the idiocy of youth...

TG

Aloha,

Would a fellow TC’er be willing to pick up a few items (print, shirts, and purse) for us at the second release of Shag merchandise for the Enchanted Tiki Room 40 Anniversary? We would compensate you for your efforts.

We picked up some items for a fellow TC’er last fall and it really worked out nicely. Unfortunately we just do not have the time to fly to Disneyland and spend a weekend. So if anyone would be willing to help us out please send us an email. Thanks!

Sally & Jay

OK is anyone going to this and want to meet up while waiting for Disneyland to open its doors? We are embarressed to say that we are sucked in again but we just cannot stay away. We love Tiki, Disneyland, and Shag.

...and, I might ad, Shag's work again is excellent. I especially dig that green Aloha shirt! The circumstances might be adverse, but his designs are above and beyond.

S

I've seen the Tangoroa print on the disney sit, but are there photos of the other stuff anywhere?

S

Answered my own question. Some more stuff is on the Shag site. I like the shirt more than the original one.

http://www.shag.com/tikiroom2.html

I think the shirt is better too. This print was my favorite out of the original four so it makes me happy that it is the one they chose to do.

S

The new t-shirt is better too. Do you think they'll do this every several months until all the shag stuff is used up? I'd like a large version of the bird print myself.

Plus, all this attention may help save the Tiki Room. I've heard they were thinking of giving it the axe.

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 17:01 ]

S

With a bazillion people in line waiting to buy goodies it might be a good time to circulate a petition.

Not only a petition to save the Tiki Room, but how about a petition to RESTORE the Tiki Room. Sometime in the 90's, they restored the soundtrack. A few months later, they edited the soundtrack. It would be nice if they did a new (and better) mix of the soundtrack and restore it to it's original lenght. That last mix was only a slight improvement over the original, but a very unbalanced mix. Give us back the fountain music number with an improved fountain. And restore the building, and effects back to their original glory. We could even get the Barker Bird back! And how about a Tiki shop? All of this should be a no-brainer. If they wanted to take an extra step...How about a Tiki Christmas show? As long as the music matches the original exotic sound with the primitive chants. The WDW Tiki Room show is TERRIBLE. I hope we get to keep the original. It would have been a better idea to keep the original show during the evenings and have the new one during the day. Oh well. I miss the Tahitian Terrace!!!
I don't know how to go about a petition, but if you need help writting a proposal, contact me. That's about as much as I can do. Your friend,
Louis

[email protected]

HL

If anyone could help me out (Larry & Mrs. Lava perhaps?) by picking up an Aloha shirt I'd appreciate it -- I just can't justify flying out to California again, although I really enjoyed meeting everyone the last time around.

I'll can PayPal you the money up front so you don't have to float the costs. Shoot me an email at the address listed in my profile and we can work out the details.

Yeah, a petition to restore the Tiki Room! Restore, NOT re-do. If the guests speak, they will answer.

S

Just curious, who's gonna be there?
Me for one.

What time is everyone going?

T

I'm going to be there around 6am.

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 16:56 ]

S

Pretty organized and not as many people as last time. Still some shirts and a couple of the limited prints left at 6:30 pm!

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:05 ]

When I left "The LAnd" Yesterday, Sat 24, at 4 pm, everything was still available. Serigraphs, Mini prints, T-shirts every size, the aloha shirts every size, that stupid rope mug, and purses.

Thank U
Drive Thru

TB

Unlike the last event, Disneyland was prepared and extremely organized. Numbered wristbands were handed out promptly at 7:00am. As posted on the DLR website, the line started at the Information booth just west of the turnstile entrances. The first people in line received the lowest number or the number of their choice as many collectors wanted to match the number of their other print.

When I left the park yesterday at 6:30pm Disneyana had less than 100 serigraphs available! Hawaiian shirts and purses were also still available. The shirt this time is awesome! It's much better than the shirt previously released.

Disneyland's management learned from their mistakes. Unfortunately it was too late as many collectors stayed away.

We just got back to Fresno from Los Angeles. We left Disneyland at 10:30 last night and they still had everything with the exception of size XL Hawaiian shirts. The line was so easy and fast. What would have taken us three or four hours last time only took about 45 minutes. If anyone in LA wants the items I say just go to Disneyland and pick them up instead of shopping on Ebay. The print was great but the Hawaiian shirt was so cool! Even though the event was a lot easier than the last time what we missed was the absence of Tiki Central people. We did not meet anyone there from T.C. which definitly made the event less festive. We were suprised on our visit to the Tiki Room that the tiki outdoor awning in the patio area was gone. Does anyone know anything about this? It was looking a little bit dingy last time so we are hoping that it just left for a good cleaning. Disneyland was pretty empty so we had fun going on every ride we wanted too and enjoying our tiki day. On our way home today we went to lunch at Damon's. We had never been there and loved it! We had our "Tiki Road Trip" with us it and were using it to know what drinks to order when the waitress asked us about it. No one there had seen it and they passed it around to the waitresses and manager. They were very kind people. A perfect ending to a great vacation!

Aloha,

We called Deliver Ears today and were able to purchase what we wanted. We purchased the Tangaroa Serigraph, Baby-T, Aloha-Hawaiian Shirt, and the Purse/handbag. So we paid a lot for shipping $85.95 but I figure it’s worth it since I won't have to deal with all the ebay hassle. I didn't ask how much they had left of everything but it sounded as if the Large Hawaiian shirts would be sold out soon. So if you couldn't make it try calling Deliver Ears.

C

Yep - I had good luck this AM as well & was able to get everything we wanted, too, including the serigraph with the high postage cost. I had the same thought vs. paying over sticker for a few items via ebay - you take the hit in one dose this way vs. several little doses on ebay.....

Sounds like the new mug that was on the list "Tankard mug" didn't make it for the event. Anyone know if/when it will be available (or what it will look like for that matter)?

I just called Deliver-Ears ((800) 362-4533). Apparently they are sold out of the Limited Edition (500) "Tangaroa" Aloha Shirt in the XL size. They "may" have a few more in the warehouse, but as of today, they think they are sold out. Other items are still available...

Sounds like it was alot easier this time around, but Josh wasnt their or limited edition mugs. Glad to hear there was enough for everone this time.

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 16:56 ]

Thanks everyone for posting information and your results. It's good to hear people enjoyed themselves and were able to pretty much get the things they wanted. I would have loved to go, but just couldn't afford to take the time and money to go down there. I was, however able to get myself one of the aloha shirts!

Even though I run a mail order department, I'm still happy as a clam to be able to order something not available here.

On Saturday they told us that the tankard mug did not show up and they did not know why. They said that they did not know if they would ever get it in since it did not come. I have only heard it described as a tall mug.

My story: arrived around 6:20 & received a armband around 7:10. I was about 50 back and got #98. I was six back from the gate and met again and chatted with Rockatiki. Our gate keeper was cool and scanned our annual passes before 8:00. When 8:00 came around our line was in quick. I ran to the line and was 25 back. Why run? Well I wanted to buy what I wanted get out and store my stuff and enjoy the day with the fam. I was out of Disney around 9:00. More relaxed this time. Left around 10:30 prints were still available. I guess all the big Kahuna's got the XL shirts including me....

I called delivears on Monday and purchased a L aloha shirt and mini print without any problems. Best of all its delivered to my house and I didn't have to pay to get into Disneyland.

S

One of the gals at the shop that morning had a xerox printout of the goodies that were there (or supposed to be there). She had pics of 3 different tall mugs. They just looked like the little one except taller. One with the rope trim, one without, and although it was b&w a third w/o rope trim that looked like it was a darker color. Moot point as they probably won't get them now. However, a few weeks after the first Shag-fest they had ropeless mugs when the rope ones ran out.

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-01-28 18:41 ]

Well I went to the Big D this morning and made my first stop at the Disneyana Shoppe. I purchased a Tangaroa print and the first t-shirt of One Enchanted Evening. I then purchased the purse and rope mug. Yes, I made some nice little purchases!

T

Tina,

What was the cost on the Tangaroa shirt?

Thanks,

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob on 2004-01-30 05:44 ]

$58 on the Tangaroa Aloha Shirt.

[ Edited by: Bamboo Bob on 2004-01-30 10:00 ]

Pages: 1 2 53 replies