Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Any leads on decent liquor (rum) cabinets? Slightly off topic...

Pages: 1 5 replies

Between the Grog Log and Intoxica, I've managed to amass an impressive number of bottles. My wife is now complaining that our house looks like a bar, so I'm looking for a decent liquor cabinet. I don't have room for a cool tiki bar, unfortunately, but I would like to find something that can hold a good amount of bottles and maybe even fold out to create a space for mixing. Ideally, the bottles would be hidden from view until the cabinet is opened.

Everything I've seen looks like it belongs in a turn of the century billiards room, or worse, like an old west saloon. Anyone have any leads for a decent cabinet?

-Mike

How about one of those computer desks that swing open?
http://www.afo.com/products.htm?cn=2301&pn=1064&sd=0

...is one example.

Patrick McNeal

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2002-08-08 00:13 ]

T

It depends where you live and how much you are willing to spend. I found a nice blond wood cabinet with black diamonds painted on the front. It has 2 shelves inside the cabinet, one that holds bottles and one that can hold glasses or short mugs. The top folds back and the front top third folds down to make a shelf to mix on. There are places in the top section to hold glasses and such. I paid $125 for it at an antique dealer about 4-5 years ago. Blond wood cabinets should be out there.

In Oakland there is an amazing store called The Art Deco Collection. They have some amazing bars from the 30s and 40s but they are real expensive. Still, they are often cheaper than the equivalent new furniture and look better. They have a web site that's fun to browse but prices aren't listed:
http://www.artdecocollection.com/

I would scour all the antique stores in your area and look on ebay for items in your vicinity. Also, you could attend one of those shows like the Deco to the 50s show that happens twice a year in L.A. and San Francisco.

8T

OK, I know this an old thread but I wanted to share a new aquisition and it seemed to fit here best. We found a vintage(1950's) kitchen pantry/cabinet at a local antiques show. It was brought to the US by a dealer who is English and she and her American husband go over to Britain to buy stuff and then bring it over here to sell. We were struck by the unusual look of it and since we have a 50's formica kitchen table & chairs, we thought it would be nice to have this and perhaps modify it a bit.

It has a fold down countertop which is perfect for mixing drinks and features a cool formica pattern.

At first we didn't know exactly what we would do with it but after buying it anyway and dragging it home, we cleaned it up a lot and then repainted it and put in some foam like shelf paper.

And oh yeah, a little bit of rum.......

After it was all completed we made some drinks, stood back and said: BRILLIANT!

We really have grown to love this little pantry uh... I mean RUM CABINET! Since we don't seem to have the right spot for a traditional home bar, this is doing quite nicely. Well, just wanted to share.

CHEERS! 8FT

LOVE the colours you chose 8ft!

I love seeing recycled vintage pieces! I'm still kicking myself for not snagging my grandmother's chrome & turquoise formica dinette.smack stupid 19 year-olds.

I've been using this one from Ikea for the past couple of years:

I have 70 bottles of booze and this thing holds around 60 of them. Mine is a nice stainless steel finish instead of the wood. I'm always amazed at the amout of weight it can handle, 60 big bottles is a LOT!

When we build the tiki bar it'll have to go.

HT

Hey, my friend has that in her place. Books though. 8ft, that is AMAZING. I love it, I want one to go with my white dinette set. Very cool!

Pages: 1 5 replies