Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotica LP available for download

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

V

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2005-03-04 08:12 ]

H
Helz posted on Fri, Jan 28, 2005 1:26 AM

VegasVic,

Absolutely wonderful stuff. Your efforts are much appreciated. Great site as well...

D

Vic,
Thanks for the download! I'm listening to your station right now. Love it!

Mahalo!!

Thanks again, Vic. I love it!

Vic, you're the man. My iPod is overflowing with the stuff you've been posting. It's much appreciated.

V

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2005-03-04 08:12 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2005 5:30 PM

Thanks Vic, another classic. Appreciated!

C

wonnerful...wonnerful...wonnerful...thanks
Vic...and thanks to Swanky for this months
downloads...

T

Just outta curiosity, how is it you can legally take orders for these vintage albums and burn CDs for sale? Are they public domain or something?

RB

Aaaaaaa...what happened to the download?

D
delar posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2005 10:28 PM

On 2005-03-04 17:11, Rum Balls wrote:
Aaaaaaa...what happened to the download?

Perhaps in a way, Tiki-bot has answered your question. Hope I'm wrong.

What a Buzzkill that would be...

K
Kono posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2005 7:49 AM

[ Edited by: Kono on 2005-03-05 07:52 ]

T

I just brought it up - I didn't drop a dime on anyone! I like the downloads.

The downloads are still available on VegasVic's website... for now, at least.
I wonder if he's laying low for a reason? Bandwidth? Potential legal issues?

We miss you, VegasVic.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki on 2005-03-06 14:08 ]

VISIT
http://www.bellybongo.com/

LP Sharity - Music from a foreign land called Past

Let's get back into the swing of things!

THE COLLECTION CENTRE
INDIAN POP MUSIC

National Records (France, late 60s)

Here's a real oddity, I don't know what's weirdest, the cover art on front (click link under photo below for a larger version of the apparently handmade Elephants) or the music, it doesnt resemble anything I have ever heard, allthough the familiar raga is there and at least the first guitar riff's in "I can't get no satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones. The production is one Incredibly Strange Music production, without irony/novelty factor. AMAZING.

side 1
The Princess and the Maharaja
Hide Bound

side 2
Golden Immumbara
Eastern Sandwich
Countdown for Sitar

http://www.bellybongo.com/

K

Damn Vic, I hope all is well with you. We all owe you a lot of mahalos.

Ahu

Thanks Belly,
That is some pretty weird music. I love it.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 5:34 PM

Muchos mahaloz Bellybongo. Golden Immumbara rocks. The rest is good too.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 7:26 PM

On 2005-03-06 14:07, I dream of tiki wrote:
The downloads are still available on VegasVic's website... for now, at least.
I wonder if he's laying low for a reason? Bandwidth? Potential legal issues?

We miss you, VegasVic.

Damn, now he took the d/l's off his website.

Bot, there are some subjects you just don't bring up...like you never say to a middle aged gentleman: "So, is this your daughter?"

Maybe you could delete your original post?

V

It's Back

Calm down everybody, it's all good.

Vic

Thanks for posting "Fire Goddess" Vic - I've been looking for this one for a couple years now!

A

Here's another not-really-but-maybe-kinda exotica LP for download.

This record is near and dear to me, as it's the one that made me fall in love with the accordion, and it's also the one that turned me on to the Enoch Light and Command records sound. As with their many "Percussion and ..." records with just about every instrument invented, and the Persuasive Percussion series, the Command records releases had a reliable sparkly clean sound, usually made exotic with bongos and other accent sounds ping-ponging back on forth with super stereo effect. The Command releases frequently have beautiful semi-abstract artwork on the cover too, and usually have full liner notes describing each production and arrangement decision for every track. Command LPs can still be found pretty regularly in the dollar (and less) bins, and I can't recommend them enough.

Charles Magnante is clearly a virtuoso accordionist, and in fact his name shows up on the credit list on many of the other Enoch Light releases, but for this one he's the star. The overall theme on this record is toward the Latin side, not "exotic", but songs like Jungle Drums and Ritual Fire Dance get closer to the border. Magnante has such an easy time going from superfast and energetic melodies like El Cumbanchero, to the casual loping rhythm of Brazilian Nocturne. Anyway, hope some enjoy this as much as I do (posted again for some indeterminate time until I put something new up).

-Randy

By request, I have reposted an LP rarity for your downloading and listen pleasures:

"An Evening At The Royal Tahitian"
LINK: http://www.gearconcepts.com/royaltahitian

this is an Los Angeles one off from the now defunct Royal Tahitian that used to be in Ontario California (east of LA).

Hurry, due to web site space, I can't leave it up for long..maybe a week or two!

Enjoy!

Pages: 1 2 71 replies