Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Portable TIKI Bar Contest

Pages: 1 30 replies

M

IDEA:
How's about having a contest for the coolest portable TIKI Bar.

MOTIVATION (Unga's Comment):
How many times have you been sitting around (at the laundry mat, waiting for trains to pass, lines at Disneyland) wishing that you could have a nice mixed cocktail?

Well... wait no more
I think that TC should revive the trend of using portable bars.

Any suggestions?

How about a briefcase bar like James Bond had? Then we could have Flounder paint them all custom!

Hi MTKahuna,
Funny you mentioned this.
I just bought a really cool one on EBay.
I will post a pic soon.

P

I have one of those. Not a portable TIKI bar, but a portable bar in a briefcase kind of deal. It has come in handy once or twice.

T

A travel bar is a must on any trip! I have 4 of them. One of them even has a space for a transistor radio so you can have some music to shake by!

Jab,
Ya goota post some pics!Would love to see em.

the Jab is right - A travel bar is a must! I own three-one looks like an innocuous bowling case.

I need one that looks like a modern brief case but a bamboo one would be nice.

T

On 2004-01-17 13:17, Unga Bunga wrote:
Jab,
Ya goota post some pics!Would love to see em.

Here's a picture of me and mrsmiley's hotel room setup at Las Vegas Grind #2 (the Playboy Club room). The travel bar on the right has a space for a transistor radio but the radio isn't in there. Notice the book "Happiness is a Dry Martini" by Johnny Carson is at hand.

M

I have about 3 portable bars. My favorite has been with me to Hawaii, Africa, Las Vegas, and Tennessee.
Oh the times we've had...

I hear that shag is going to make a wall bar and sell it at the Starlight Room in Long Beach. The event will take place sometime in March. I'll keep you posted.

I dig the james Bond idea...

M

Hmmm...how ironic. Jami just received a project description tonight to quote a packaging design prototype for a portable bar. The designers were calling the product "Joe's Place". Super nifty idea...very "Bond, James Bond".

That gives me an idea of something to do with my old wicker picnic basket @;-)

Project Description:
This is a portable bar with caricatures of bartender, various customers and background of bottles, glasses & other bar equipment.

...this is a suitcase the size of a portable typewriter case, that opens up into an exact replica of a pub...

S

I've got my briefcase bar that acocmpanies us on our travels. It is my grandparents that I owe this to. I still remember trips with them when I was little, just like clockwork, Gramps would break out the briefcase at 5:00 PM for happy hour no matter where we were. And that is how I became coruppted, as an impressionable youth on holidays with gramps.

K

In the backyard...

In the front yard on the trailer...

In the parking lot @ the Gold Coast in Vegas.

Does this count as portable? :)

On 2004-01-17 15:08, thejab wrote:
Notice the book "Happiness is a Dry Martini" by Johnny Carson is at hand.

And is that an old-style ice pack ready to use on sore heads to the left of the picture?

I was very impressed reading about an old Southern Colonel's wife who'd always leave the house with a thermos full of ice and ready-made martinis. Since then, I've used the idea many a time, though not just for martinis. I guess it works as a kind of portable bar, and if you prepare the thermos ahead of time by leaving it in the fridge & packing it with ice-cubes, the cocktails stay cold for quite a long time.

Trader Woody

On 2004-01-18 23:49, KAHAKA wrote:

Hey, me, Hula Hula and LuckyDesigns saw this at VLV last year! Pretty cool bar. How often do you take it out?

On 2004-01-17 12:55, thejab wrote:
A travel bar is a must on any trip! I have 4 of them. One of them even has a space for a transistor radio so you can have some music to shake by!

Mr. Jab--I thought you liked it with a TWIST!

Kahaka,
Now that's a portable tiki bar.

you Win!!

On 2004-01-19 05:03, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2004-01-17 15:08, thejab wrote:
Notice the book "Happiness is a Dry Martini" by Johnny Carson is at hand.

And is that an old-style ice pack ready to use on sore heads to the left of the picture?

Trader Woody

Yes, Senor Woody, that is a semi vintage OVERSIZED hangover ice bag. That thing was about 10 inches across!! I walked around one morning in Vegas holding it to my head with my best hangover face. I know how to have fun-I am such a CARD!!--oh bad pun!!!
Oh, there was a gal I met in Vegas. Did I dance with her? No, but I did POKER!...I got a million of 'em. :)

So BK,

We having the contest?

How about one for portable bars TC members construct themselves?

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-01-19 11:06 ]

On 2004-01-19 11:05, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
So BK,

We having the contest?

How about one for portable bars TC members construct themselves?

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-01-19 11:06 ]

Hey AC,
How's it? I didn't think that anyone was serious about the idea.

I'm down... If you are... Let's create some guidelines. Any thoughts?

MTK

I say:

1. Anything that falls under the guideline "Portable Bar".

2. Has to be made or modified by the TC member.

MT, Sorry thought it was BK who posted the original thread. I get you Kahunas confused!

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-01-19 11:22 ]

Stupid question,
I've never tried to take OPEN liquor through airplane terminals (obviously the destination matters). Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

T

On 2004-01-19 12:12, Unga Bunga wrote:
Stupid question,
I've never tried to take OPEN liquor through airplane terminals (obviously the destination matters). Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

Never had a problem with open or unopened bottles going through security. I would rather not check it through in case of leakage. I guess they aren't concerned that someone might break the bottle and use it as a weapon - that only happens in movies, right?

M

On 2004-01-19 12:12, Unga Bunga wrote:
Stupid question,

Some airports DO CARE if the bottle is opened. I don't know which ones, though. My guess is that it is not a universal policy.

M

Haha...what a site this was to see at VLV! Gets my vote!

On 2004-01-18 23:49, KAHAKA wrote:

In the backyard...

In the front yard on the trailer...

K

Hey, me, Hula Hula and LuckyDesigns saw this at VLV last year! Pretty cool bar. How often do you take it out?

Hey, what's up man. Since the maiden voyage to VLV last year, it's been to Sacramento (from San Jose) for an engagement party. It took a beating, but we'll have it out there in the parking lot for VLV this April. Stop by for a drink if you're there...

M

Any contestants?

This is really cool, but I am looking for plans to build a typical thatch roofed tiki bar by my pool. The Easter Island Tiki head bar is out of sight, but too much for my backyard. I have just about made my own plans, but I would always feel more comfortable if I could buy plans for a bar that has been built and tested.

Well I agree, there is a real need for a portable tiki bar sometimes, so thats why I built one. It's not as nice as the giant moai head, but it will fold flat to 4" tall and fit inside vehicles.

Here is a shot a friend took of me tending bar at a party I go to on labor day weekend.

Here is the back of my bar, you name it I can probably make it. (this was two years ago it gotten even better).

Here are two of my friends tailgating at a concert this year.

P.S. For those that asked, the plans are available online. http://www.geocities.com/kirkh.geo/Tikibar.html

[ Edited by: captnkirk on 2004-01-25 20:31 ]

I thought I would post this here, even though I did not create it, I just Tikified it. This is from the late fifties, that I found on Ebay. I love it. With my level of "intoxicitity", I probably should have gotten a guitar case. Oh hell, a tuba case! :)

... vicodin, dilaudid & fierce melon gatorade...

... now that's portable...

M

On 2005-10-21 14:17, Unga Bunga wrote:
I thought I would post this here, even though I did not create it, I just Tikified it. This is from the late fifties, that I found on Ebay.

ZAZZ!!!!!

jUST remember to check in sharp items like corkscrews and such so they don't get confiscated at the airport!

Pages: 1 30 replies