Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki on Antiques Roadshow

Pages: 1 11 replies

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jan 16, 2004 8:42 PM

I don't know if it was a rerun or not, but this evening's Antiques Roadshow line-up included a large Papuan tiki. The owner said it was a mortuary statue and it stood 5' to 7' tall (I can't remember if it was on a pedestal or no). The expert concluded it was genuine of post WWII vintage from the Fly River region. He called it a "Papuan Protective Figure" and valued it at $10-15K. First time I've ever seen tiki on the Roadshow, not that I watch it religiously.

Btw, this Roadshow was in New Mexico.

T

Did the owner say something like 'spiffy' or 'my stars' when told the price? I love the british version of the show, cause they try so very hard not to get excited when told the value.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:43 ]

Kono, what city where they in? Want to look for repeat.

M

I just watched the first Honolulu episode of Antique Roadshow tonight, and I have to say that other than a brief appearance by TC's own filslash in the feedback segment, and the segments with the poi calabash and Hawaiian quilts, it was a complete bust in terms of tiki or Hawaiiana. If it wasn't for all the Aloha shirts and Muumuus worn by the participants, I would have thought this was shot in a mainland city. I can't imagine why the show's producers would come to the islands, then spend 90% of the show on Mission furniture, pocket watches, and European travel posters. What a letdown.

The next 2 shows are also in Honolulu, so I guess there's still hope.

J

You looked fabulous Fil!

I missed the first 10 minutes...boo hoo

My favorite was the Hawaiian Poi bowl, the size was great, interesting about the repairs and that they could tell who did them....holy cow $20 to $30 thousand estimate

Hawaiian quilt....demo was great, interesting that the mainland peeps brought quilting to Hawaii, and then Hawaii made their own style/decor (can someone give me about 40 thousand so I can buy a quilt)

Not Hawaiian but the tiffany watch was interesting...as the lady thought it was just costume jewelry.....heeellllllooooooo.....tiffany, diamonds....kaching

Barnfield painting $30,000 d/t princess of Hawaii image...not a bad take on that item
art deco jewelry was fabulous and that ring for 70 to 90 thousand...droooool

[edit for spelling]

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.

JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-01-01 21:03 ]

On 2007-01-01 20:58, JenTiki wrote:
You looked fabulous Fil!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:45 ]

T

ANTIQUES ROADSHOW BORING

This whole show IMO needs a makeover they can't think outside the same old category boxes
& Hawaiiana is sure outside that box. Just wearing Aloha shirts doesn't cut it. It was
anywhere USA on the 1st show last night & that painting @ 30K the problem it wasn't even
attractive Hawaiian. My gut tells me the dealers on this show are as tired as the bored
viewers.

Thortiki

PS On the 2nd Hawaiian show lets hope for some early 30's Ohio arts & crafts studio pottery
with some lovely mottled glaze & on a good day it could fetch ..... PLEASE!!!!!!

B

This show was on a few weeks ago with a feature on Surfing Collectables....

"These Tikis are from the 1940s and are worth $500-$550 dollars"

Somehow I don't think they are that old....What do you think?

Their surf collectable prices seemed a bit inflated too.

M

I was in the long line for the Oahu edition (I brought my Hawaiian rock), and there was only a few Hawaii themed items that should have made the show that didn't. One awesome piece in particular, a large 1920s era 3D-ish mural of painted paper-mache depicting a Hawaiian wedding, replete with musicians, starry moonlit night, hair, etc. was the real deal. Never made it...
Not a tiki to be found.

M

On 2008-07-03 17:31, bongofury wrote:

"These Tikis are from the 1940s and are worth $500-$550 dollars"

Somehow I don't think they are that old....What do you think?

I seriously doubt it. They look very contemporary, and there's practically no wear or patina on them.

Pages: 1 11 replies