Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Drift Lounge , Scottsdale, AZ (restaurant)

Pages: 1 16 replies

D

Name:Drift Lounge
Type:restaurant
Street:4341 N. 75th St.
City:Scottsdale
State:AZ
Zip:85254
Phone:480 949-8454

Description:
Let's be frank. The food at Drift isn't exactly charting new gastronomic territory. In particular, the fruity, sticky-sweet dips, sauces and glazes that are the hallmark of this "cuisine" haven't surprised anyone since Capt. Bligh and the crew of the Bounty sailed into Tonga. Nevertheless, you'd have to be a real sourpuss to leave here without a smile.

Its nice that there are a few places to choose from in AZ. What does the decor look like? Does it have a cool sign? Do they serve drinks in tiki mugs? Do they sell said mugs?

All sorts of reviews, comments, articles and photos about Drift can be found here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2375&forum=1
Enjoy!

-Weird Unc

[ Edited by Humuhumu to fix broken link ]

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-03-29 15:45 ]

Drift is a very attractive neo tiki bar, in a jet set sort of way. The primary tiki is the Moai at one end of the restaurant, although there are Bosko tiki masks on the wall and 2 tikis immediately at the entrance.

Most appropraite jet set tunes were playing and it the cusine was delicious! At Happy Hour, the prices are very low.

My experience the drinks is mixed. They were served in a the tiki mug photographed next to the drink on the menu - which is excellent, but they were served without umbrellas and fresh pineapple, also on the photograph, until I specifically requested.

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2005 6:24 AM

I got a chance to stop in on a Thursday night while visiting friends in Phoenix. We got there around 8:00 and by 8:30 the place was packed and LOUD...had to shout my drink order to the waitress. I started with a Big Chief which was STRONG and didn't come with the "full headress" like the drink menu said. Served in this Munktiki mug:

After that I tried a Molokai which was real tasty. We didn't eat a full meal but we ordered some fish tacos which I thought were horrible.

My impression after just one visit is that this place is more of a pickup bar than a tiki bar. Though nicely decorated, they could use a few more tikis. Not sure about the music because I couldn't hear it over all the shouting. I took a bunch of pics but nothing that hasn't already been posted. I did get a pic of the Drift in the daytime:

Juno,

The "Big Chief" pictured was the same tiki drink to which I was referring.

I wholeheartedly agree about needing more tikis, although the one Moai which dominates the room is worth the trip alone.

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2005 3:30 PM

That moai is way-cool...here's the pic from the other thread:

A few pics from a May 20 visit.

RG

I've been to the Drift a couple times in the last year. In previous trips there I was impressed with the decor and ambience. The decor has not changed but the ambience is now late college bar. There was no Exotica playing, only top 40 hip hop r&b, and the place filled up rapidly with extremely loud college age kids. I have nothing against that crowd or their music (although what appeal they find in a Tiki bar I'm not sure) but they served to squash every last bit of polypop goodness out of that place for me. The service was slightly surly both times (I understand, I would be too if I had to work under perpetual spring break conditions). I won't be hurrying back.

Oh, P.S. the food is fine in my book. I've had a real good steak and some great fish specials there. The pork is WAY too sweet for my taste. They have several killer appetizers, like the bottle rockets for instance.

Rev. Griz
Dissolute Missionary, Church of Jim Beam Orthodox
Spreading good news by the bottle in the jungles of Utah

[ Edited by: Rev. Griz 2006-06-23 14:38 ]

[ Edited by: Rev. Griz 2006-06-23 14:40 ]

H

On 2006-06-23 14:36, Rev. Griz wrote:
...There was no Exotica playing, only top 40 hip hop r&b, and the place filled up rapidly with extremely loud college age kids.

Rev. Griz

Ughh. Was that on a weekend? Perhaps a weeknight visit would be more enjoyable?

RG

On 2006-06-23 15:31, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2006-06-23 14:36, Rev. Griz wrote:
...There was no Exotica playing, only top 40 hip hop r&b, and the place filled up rapidly with extremely loud college age kids.

Rev. Griz

Ughh. Was that on a weekend? Perhaps a weeknight visit would be more enjoyable?

One was a Friday night, which was when I discoverd this unexpected interest by the college crowd the hard way. The other was Sunday night. I'd been there a couple times on Sunday night before and it was great, good music playing, quiet, mature customers enjoying the atmosphere. There are several painfully trendy joints within walking distance, I'm at a loss to understand why the kids don't flock there. Maybe there's too many shiny objects at the Drift.

WoooHooooo! Drift is a Desert Oasis. The drink menu was incredible, they even serve their drinks in Authentic Munktiki Mugs. Happy Hour 4-7pm Mon.-Fri. Cheap Drinks and Cheap PuPus. Their featured Cocktail: The Day Tripper (Bacardi, pineapple juice, cream and a splsh of soda with coconut around the rim) is a must. The food was excellent. Check out http://www.driftlounge.com Even their phone number is tiki (480)949-TIKI.

K

I've been to the Drift several times when visiting friends in AZ and am saddened to hear they recently closed their doors. Anyone have anymore info?

K

Thanks BigBro, I did miss it. Was trying to surf TC on my smartphone and didn't see that topic.

I

I remember the Bali Bottle Rockets well @ The Drift. Anyone have a recipe for these or know where to get them?

I visited in November 2011. it's now a quasi-mexican restaurant, still with pool. If you ask me, it a place without leadership.searching for an identity. Too bad.

Pages: 1 16 replies