Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Questions about SF Tiki Crawl IV

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies

On 2004-03-01 14:27, thejab wrote:
I'm looking forward to this! Great Saturday plan with the bus picking up in the East Bay (so I don't have to catch BART home by midnight)

You mean you've never caught the East Bay bus from the City at 2:15 am?

T

On 2004-03-01 23:29, christiki295 wrote:

You mean you've never caught the East Bay bus from the City at 2:15 am?

I've also missed the East Bay bus at 2:20 AM and had to take a cab home - ouch!

M

Good News: I got the $89 rate extended to include Thursday night as well. So anyone who wants to head up earlier should feel free. If they give you trouble at the front desk, ask for Tony Scholis at 510-547-8414 x7181

Come early! Come often!

Oh, that sounds dirty.

K
k'eli posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2004 4:25 PM

Looking forward to this trip - where in South Bay do I catch this bus! Does it leave on Friday or Saturday and what time? I am new to TC and am looking forward to meeting all of you!! Driving up from Laguna

M

On 2004-03-02 16:25, k'eli wrote:
Looking forward to this trip - where in South Bay do I catch this bus! Does it leave on Friday or Saturday and what time? I am new to TC and am looking forward to meeting all of you!! Driving up from Laguna

Welcome, k'eli! The Tiki Bus is on the Saturday night of the crawl. It only stops in Emeryville and San Francisco. Make sure you sign up for the mailing list on the crawl website for the latest info.

Mahalo!

I'm thinking of staying in the City-Any tiki weekend events during the day & will the Bamboo bus be stopping at the Mosser at the beginning of the evening?

M

On 2004-03-02 22:39, christiki295 wrote:
I'm thinking of staying in the City-Any tiki weekend events during the day & will the Bamboo bus be stopping at the Mosser at the beginning of the evening?

There's the east bay cemetary tour during the day on Saturday with cynfulcynner (see posts above), but otherwise saturday afternoon is free to check out San Francisco and make like a So Cal Hoity Toity: buy all our mugs!

The bus will NOT stop at the Mosser at the beginning of the evening. There's a few reasons for this:

1. We need to conserve valuable ($$$) bus time.

2. It's easy to get to our first stop, The Tonga Room, from the Mosser. It's a thirst-inducing walk up the lovely hills of SF, or a cheap cab ride. Or:

3. Take the California Cable Car line up the hill. Arrive in style! Not just for tourists- I use it to go home from work some times. Can't beat the view.

But the bus will drop people off at The Mosser at the end of the night, since you shouldn't be left to your own devices by that point.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-03-02 22:55 ]

M

It is my great pleasure to announce the following exciting news about the San Francisco Tiki Crawl:

We are definitely having a vendor room.

The room will have fantastic items from top tiki artists and craftspeople.

And that room…WILL BE INSIDE THE CAPTAIN’S CABIN AT TRADER VIC’S!

That’s right, for the first time ever, there will be a Tiki Bazaar at Trader Vic’s. Sip a Mai Tai, mingle with tiki types from all over, and peruse the finest products in tikidom.

PLUS!

Trader Vic’s themselves will be one of the vendors! Be among the very first to purchase two amazing new products:

The 60th Anniversary of the Mai Tai Commemorative Glass and

The Limited Edition 70th Anniversary of Trader Vic’s Tiki Mug by Tiki Farm!

You are NOT going to want to miss Friday night at Trader Vic’s. Bring your beautiful selves and be ready for a shopping spree. It’s going to be a night to remember.

I am booked! Flying up this time.... though the Hoiti Toiti drive last year was awesome!

I'm staying at the Mosser again. Room with two beds, if anyone is looking for a roomie.

T

I'm confused about when sign-ups for the bus are. I didn't see anything on the official page about it.

M

Sign ups for the bus are not announced yet- make sure you're on the mailing list for the crawl and we'll let everyone know. I have to do some math on it before I can post all the info.

It will be soon! Stay tuned!

On 2004-03-02 22:53, martiki wrote:

[i] saturday afternoon is free to check out San Francisco and make like a So Cal Hoity Toity: buy all our mugs!

Definitely will do. (I just hope I can remember to keep up with them after I attempt to have a drink in every mug which Trader Vics has)

Will there be different vendors at Trader Vics on Sat than on Friday?

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-03-03 20:06 ]

MB
Mrs. B posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2004 8:55 PM

$39 gold pieces. Long Beach to Oakland.
http://www.JetBlue.com
Includes peanuts. Or whatever the hell they happen to have on board.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

On 2004-03-03 22:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

http://www.audioautographs.com/tiki/arrrr.mp3

M

On 2004-03-03 20:02, christiki295 wrote:

Will there be different vendors at Trader Vics on Sat than on Friday?

The Vendor Room at Trader Vic's is ONLY Friday night. That's also the only day of the official visit to Vic's by the Crawl. Of course, if you're staying at the Four Points, you can stagger over there any time you please.

Don't miss Friday! Mark calendars now!

M

On 2004-03-03 20:55, Mrs. B wrote:
http://www.JetBlue.com
Includes peanuts. Or whatever the hell they happen to have on board.

If you fly to Oakland, the Four Points Emeryville can be reached by:

1. Moderate-to-pricey cab fare.

2. Shuttle to Coliseum BART station- to MacArthur BART station, then a cheap taxi.

There is no Four Points Airport Shuttle Bus I'm afraid.

G

If you want to see pictures from last years event to wet your wistle as for what to expect this year, feel free to browse this web page. :wink:

http://www.mcsheehy.com/Tiki_Bar_Crawl.htm
Gramps

On 2004-03-04 11:55, martiki wrote:

If you fly to Oakland, the Four Points Emeryville can be reached by:

1. Moderate-to-pricey cab fare.

2. Shuttle to Coliseum BART station- to MacArthur BART station, then a cheap taxi.

You can also take the free Emery-Go-Round shuttle from MacArthur BART to the Four Points:
http://198.94.156.9/EmeryGoRound/

If you really want to split hairs, I believe that you can take AC Transit bus #58 from the airport to Coliseum BART for less than what the AirBART shuttle costs.

On 2004-03-03 20:55, Mrs. B wrote:

I thought no one actually received those fares and that they were just limited to one or two seats on a flight. Good score, Mrs. B - my flight on Southwest (another airline where they throw peanuts at you) was $69.

MB
Mrs. B posted on Fri, Mar 5, 2004 9:18 PM

Wear your "goalie mask." :lol:
Hey, it's a cheap ride and you don't have to hide your cocktail in a McDonalds cup. Yuk, that plastic flavor always barrels through.
Aloha and have a GREAT time! :)

S

YAY! I got me a ticket.
Granted, I git there at like 1:30 Saturday, and leave at noon on sunday, but I'm coming.
Yup, I'll be there. One night only...
MARTIN! Save me a spot on the bus!

S

CRAP, I'm gonna miss Trader Sams...
MIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGg
can we go there on Saturday after I
git off the plane? heheheh

M

YAY-"PEA" IS COMING!!!!

M

Yay Sweatpea! Great to have you back!

Broken record time: Sign up for the Crawl mailing list on the info page!

On 2004-03-02 22:53, martiki wrote:

There's the east bay cemetary tour during the day on Saturday with cynfulcynner (see posts above), but otherwise saturday afternoon is free to check out San Francisco . . .

The Polynesian Cultural Center is also putting on a one day, intensive Hula workshop in SF on Saturday, April 3rd.

However, in hula, I just like to watch.

Can't wait to meet everybody and see all the SF spots!... I'll be carving away at Vic's on Friday if its allowed!

M

Tony: Sorry, but all your products must be pre-carved. Can't have any carving at Vic's. It's safe to say that Vic's management would have an aneurysm if we tried to do that. We're taking a big leap as it is with the Vendor Room. Maybe next year if this goes well, we could do something on their patio. Mahalo!

M

Hey Tiki Chris: are you and Emi still thinking about coming out? Hope so!

mariki! I signed up. Just wanna be absotivley-posolutely sure that I'm on the bus. See, I'm skippin town, when I should be helping my friend finish her packing, since she is moving to hoity toity land. She's mighty steamed I'm leaving. hehehee, but I had pre-warned her. Anyhow, be on the lookout for a Miss Francine coming down LA way. She's gonna be in Long Beach, and she already knows that on my visits I'll be hi-tailin it to Seafood Sams. I got to go there for a wedding, and decided that alot of time needs to be spent there... hehehehe

Wooohoo, I'm coming to SF! I git to see everyone! YAY!
PEa

T

Yeehaw, pea's coming to town! Is Mr. Doodie coming with you?

I signed up for the e-mail list, but haven't received anything. I want to be positive I'm on the bus! So PLEASE include 2 for the bus under 'Tacky Tiki!'

Mahalo!

Tacky

T

Martiki, are international travellers are guaranteed a place on the bus by nature of the extreme measures and distances undertaken to arrive at the crawl?

M

Tickets for the SF Tiki Bus will go on sale at 3:00PM PST on Friday, March 12. Watch Tiki Events for a new thread

Don't miss out!

If you are a Grand Member, you might want to swing by the Grand Ceremonial Forum of Mystery. Let's just say that "membership has it's privileges"....

K

New to Tiki Central and excited about the Crawl and since I live in the San Jose area I can just about "crawl" home. I would love join everyone on the bus however my wife is pregnant and the bus ride is 2 weeks prior to the birth. So, to keep the mai-tai's flowing for you on the bus I'll have to skip the bus this year but would still like to participate in all the other activities. The bonus I guess to having a pregnant wife is I do have a designated driver.

What I'd like to know is that we can still join the festivities at places like the Conga Bar and Bamboo Hut since you mention "closed to public"?

FYI: I have been "thinking" Tiki since my days drinking at Don the Beachcombers in Santa Clara and Trader Vic's in SF / Emeryville but now only finally getting around to building the bar, etc.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

M

On 2004-03-12 12:09, Kanaloa wrote:

What I'd like to know is that we can still join the festivities at places like the Conga Bar and Bamboo Hut since you mention "closed to public"?

You can certainly join the festivities. Strongly suggest that you wear some aloha clothes to expedite your entrance! Just tell them you're with the SF Tiki Bar Crawl.

Welcome!

K
k'eli posted on Fri, Mar 12, 2004 5:54 PM

Aloha New to TC and this is a great way to meet all the Tiki lovers as well as the great drinks. Being a bartender of tropical drinks at private parties, this will be a treat for me not to have to make drinks.

Oops! tryin to do too many things. SF Crawl is my priority - so I will have to catch them another time.

Mahalo for watching out for me.

[ Edited by: k'eli on 2004-03-15 16:37 ]

M

k'eli, I thought you were going to the Menehunes show! I hope you don't think you can make both. That would be tricky.

It appears all of the cost effective rooms at the Mosser are sold out. Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on other nearby hotels, such as the Commodore or the Metropolis?

Thanks.

M

The Hotel Metropolis is cool. Remodeled a few years ago. 800-553-1900. We had wedding guests stay there. That's a good choice.

If you're not set on staying in SF, you can always go with the Four Points! Convenient!

Hey Martiki,

I plan to be at Trader Vic's on Friday, but unfortunately only for a couple of hours. Gotta catch the late flight out on Friday night at 8:30 pm so I can be at work first thing on Saturday morning (crazy time of year). :(

I should be free by 4:00 pm so if anybody wants to meet up early at Trader Vic's for drinks and pupus let me know (I think they open at 5:00 pm?).

At least I'll be there for start of the festivities, eh?

Looking forward to meeting my No Cal homies (and others!).

On 2004-03-23 23:03, stentiki wrote:

I should be free by 4:00 pm so if anybody wants to meet up early at Trader Vic's for drinks and pupus let me know (I think they open at 5:00 pm?).

Hey Arty, The vendors will be getting there around five o'clock to start setting up. If you get there to early we may put you to work moving tikis :)

Chongolio

Hey Chongolio,

Moving Tikis is my specialty! :wink:

But all kidding, aside I would be happy to help if any of you need an extra hand.

Is the goddamn bus sold out yet or what?
Lets hear more about the mug.

M

Don't badmouth my goddamn bus!

The mug is under construction as we speak. Or so I'm told. (dealing with a little "Aloha-time" here) The mug is cool, but not a new design. Just a little collector keepsake. And believe me, a very VERY small portion of the cost of the bus tickets.

And there are two seats left on the bus. Act now!

M

The Tiki Bus is SOLD OUT!!

Thank you to everyone who is on board. We're going to have a great night. For those of you who didn't get on the bus, please join us at our many stops as we crawl across the bay area all weekend long. Just please remember to use a designated driver, public transportation, or (shudder) stay sober.

Mahalo to all! Only five days left until Crawl Mania sweeps the Bay!

I have a question...
This event is a mere few days away & it's awfully quiet around here, by golly.
Who's coming?
Who's not coming?
Is Hanford coming?
Is anybody coming??

I'm still in shock that we are going. Carpooling with the Missus, C'al and Floratina. Now I'll just have to whittle something up. We are excited FO SHO !

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies