Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Central in Honolulu Advertiser

Pages: 1 13 replies

OK kids, go see for yourself:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Aug/09/ln/ln33a.html

...welllll, it's typical "I do not wanna take sides" journalsim, with a touch of school teacher scolding. There is a wise old saying in the media business:
"There is no such thing as BAD press!"
meaning that to get printed is what matters, the content is of less relevance.

It is certainly well deserved PR for Gecko. Congrats, and Mahalo for your comittment to Tiki.

A

"There's no such thing as bad press", as long as they spell your name right. Isn't TikiFish one word?.

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Aug 10, 2002 3:34 AM

Aloha to all,
I was quoted on saying that "Tiki socialites come to Hawaii to buy Tiki items to sell elswhere"...I woudn't sell anything I bought unless I got 2 of them so, I think he miss understood me there. I said "I'm meeting up with a Tiki Central member this week (Weird Unc) to show him around and where he can buy stuff for his personal collection. so I guess that's where he got that idea for that paragraph. I don't have any Tikis at the New Tiki's Bar & grill too. I thank Wade VERY VERY MUCH though for taking the time to do an article on me, even though some of the stuff was not in the interview. I wish he could have used "Gecko" atleast once in da paragraph. Some of my good friends don't even know my name is Mike so when they read this They'll say "Whateva, dats not u fool"

Aloha from my ohana (family) to yours!
Live aloha

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Aug 10, 2002 3:37 AM

Aloha to all,
I was quoted on saying that "Tiki socialites come to Hawaii to buy Tiki items to sell elswhere"...I woudn't sell anything I bought unless I got 2 of them so, I think he miss understood me there. I said "I'm meeting up with a Tiki Central member this week (Weird Unc) to show him around and where he can buy stuff for his personal collection. so I guess that's where he got that idea for that paragraph. I don't have any Tikis at the New Tiki's Bar & grill too. I thank Wade VERY VERY MUCH though for taking the time to do an article on me, even though some of the stuff was not in the interview. I think there was a little misunderstanding on somethings.
I wish he could have used "Gecko" atleast once in da paragraph. Some of my good friends don't even know my name is Mike so when they read this They'll say "Whateva, dats not u fool"

Aloha from my ohana (family) to yours!
Live aloha

". . . Trader Vic's now offers up its allure in restaurants from Bahrain to Beirut, Egypt to England . . ."

I find this statement funny b/c the London Vic's has actually been around since the Sixties! And I'm pretty sure the Middle Eastern Vic's have been around since the Eighties or early Nineties.

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Aug 10, 2002 4:10 AM

Sorry for the double post! My computer tripped out while I was sending the post. Anyways, Tiki Chris from London said "the TV has been open since the 60's" The guy who wrote the article got quick info off of the net to do the story within 4 days, so he really didn't know a whole lot about what is going on, in other words he's not Sven. He didn't know everything Tiki as some of the members here . If I had to do a book report on Native American Indian culture in 4 days I would write down what I could get in a hurry! I'm sure after the report, there would be people with a whole lot of knowledge telling me I should have said this or that...So, I'm happy that Tiki got a good article this week even though the writer didn't get pin point info. A few weeks ago Tiki culture got crapped on by "Tiki Trader"
remember!

W

It's obvious the writer got most of his info off the net (with what was probably a 5 minute look-see at Tiki Central to jot down a couple names and topics). The piece reads like it was written in 4 hours, not 4 days. I'm sure he's off working on his "What's Cool For Back To School: The Rugby Shirt Returns" article right now. But it's a living. I do like the idea of some grandma reading the Tiki article to grandpa over breakfast and she says "Isn't that interesting?" and he says "Mmm-. Y'know, we used to catch them Tiki fish back in Wisconsin. They smoked up real good."

I think the article was pretty good considering it was written by a reporter that is supposed to be objective, and was kind enough to spend time talking with our friend in the first place. In general, the article does raise awareness for what's happening on the Mainland among people in Hawaii who already live a lot of the stuff we're about. Also, I think the things he wrote about Gecko were positive too. My only complaint is he missed our desire to preserve Polynesian pop culture sites like old tiki bars and restaurants, but it's fair to observe we do go off in some fairly odd directions on this site -- and that may be why he missed much of what the core is about. Anyway, great job Gecko. I know lots of people who are not comfortable speaking to reporters (like some of the highly-compensated executives in the company I work for), so here's a hearty toast to Gecko Tiki; Polynesian Pop's advance man in the islands!

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-08-10 20:40 ]

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-08-10 20:41 ]

S

Here's an idea. If Hawaiian don't want their culture turned into pop candy, stop inviting mainlanders over to vacation and stop selling them little tikis to take home.

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Aug 12, 2002 1:52 PM

who's complaining about the culture turning into "pop candy"! The culture isn't turning into anything like that in my eyes. If it is I'm enjoying it. People want to come here to Hawaii to feel the old Hawaii traditional or not, Tiki styled restaurants, grass shacks by the pool, etc.. We still have our traditional Hula, food, games, etc... The add is a positive note about how I love this style as well as the traditional style. You should have posted that coment on the Tiki Traders negative add about Tiki. I love the Tiki mugs, Tikis, just about all things Hawaiiana. So if u want to come to da islands and buy a Tiki, by it from me. I have no problem with selling Tiki's to Mainlanders.

Gecko

F

god that article was lame

I loathe psuedo-journalists

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-08-12 17:22 ]

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Aug 12, 2002 5:44 PM

Aloha,

It could have been alot better. He's a reporter that had to jot some stuff down. Ever since the BOT came out, I would say we have been spoiled, there hasn't really been anything as good written about the culture.

Live Aloha

S

Well, we're devotees. They aren't writing for us. As a Corvair owner, I read far worse about my cute little car. It goes with the territory. Whatever your interest.

So we all point people to the BOT and they search the web and find better things if they are really interested.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Aug 14, 2002 1:10 PM

Aloha,

Bulls eye Swanky! He didn't write it for us. He wrote it for the guys who threw away there stuff "south western" as he said or what ever. They say Polynesian culture/Tiki is in now, so we are going to have ban wagons for a few years and then they will be gone and we will still be here. The article made me sound like a ban wagon my self which i didn't like. Since the article I've been getting real busy so I have to thank him for that. I just wish he could have wrote more about the culter like I mentioned during the interview.

I've been carving way befor the BOT ever came out as well as my Family back in the P.I. As well as colleting Hawaiiana that has been passed down threw my own family for years. So please don't get the wrong idea from the add. Maybe we can get someone who's more interested in the Tiki Culture to write one mo betta!

Mahalo for your time!
Gecko

Pages: 1 13 replies