Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Newbies???

Pages: 1 17 replies

8T

OK, I've been seeing this term "newbie" used around here a bit lately so I was wondering... Obviously it is short for "newcomer", but how long is one considered a newbie? A year?, 100 posts?
I know it is an informal moniker not officially used or to be taken too seriously.
Anyone know where the term originated? I don't think it is an offensive term but is there another word we can use which might seem more welcoming? Your thoughts or suggestions?

On 2004-01-29 14:15, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Anyone know where the term originated?

Whenever in doubt, blame it on Bongster.

On 2004-01-29 14:15, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I don't think it is an offensive term but is there another word we can use which might seem more welcoming?

Embryonic Member

All kidding aside, I really don't see it used that much. In fact I don't even recall the last time I've seen it. I am sure the word (newbie) was derived from some past forum, for there are thousands and thousands of them.
Now I must admit, I will subconsciously look at a members "joining date" when I am reading their post, but I have never allowed it to effect my response to the poster member when I reply, unless they would need to be reminded about the search option.

Unga

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-29 14:57 ]

Well, let me tell ya kid, you're a newbie until we (the oldie's) tell ya you're not!

Typically it's not a matter of time, but rather just this intuitive feel. You gotta go to TC happenings, post stuff, and most importantly, get a royal "bonging" at some point (not boinking).

"Newbie" isn't necessarily a bad term, just like "haole" isn't (right). I think we should use malahini instead.

TB

Damn, i'm goin to be stuck with this awhile.

As I recall when I joined Tiki Central I didn't even introduce myself on the new members post. I just crashed the party and started flappin' my big yapper. I find the direct approach seems to work best for me (and if I'm wrong I get my ass kicked). Either way I know where I stand.

i did the same thing shipwreck.

infact in a way we are all newbies when it comes to an art piece or mug we have never seen before.

same here, never did the introductions, just finally posted a picture a few nights ago. ill get around to it at some point. more interesting to meet folks in person though.
newbie to chat rooms i am, newbie to tiki i aint.
back to taxes weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

the term "newbie" has been along for as long as there has been an internet community. i remember it being used in the 1990s. It's usually not considered derrogatory by the mainstream (or at least not in my experience).

You're a newbie until you're not.

That is once you feel you got the hang of a site, a chat room, a message board, coding, webmastering or whatever you're endeavoring to do - you're no longer a newbie.

You got to understand, back in the old days when there were so few Tcers we felt like we had a very special little click going. WHen TC grew I guess we started unconciously trying to keep ourselves in a small click by breaking up into different made up classifications like old timers and newbies, or The North Cal Faction and The So Cal Hoity Toities. By the way where did those comne from and how come teh North Cal people get a cool militant sounding name. The first I remember ever hearing teh So Calers being referred to as the So Cal Hoity Toities was from Formaikahini, was she the originator? Anyways, the newbie thing doesn'y mean anything bad, it just a way for those of us who have been around for 3 or 4 years to still feel a little special even though there are so many more people on TC these days.

On 2004-01-29 23:31, suicide_sam wrote:
The North Cal Faction and The So Cal Hoity Toities. By the way where did those comne from and how come teh North Cal people get a cool militant sounding name.

From now on we're The SoCal Peoples Tiki Co-op. OK

#
#54 posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 8:38 AM

Am I a "Newbie"?

I think "Newbie" is demeaning and feel quite strongly it should be changed to "New Friend","Turd-o" or "F*ckhead".

L

On 2004-01-29 23:31, suicide_sam wrote:
By the way where did those comne from and how come teh North Cal people get a cool militant sounding name. The first I remember ever hearing teh So Calers being referred to as the So Cal Hoity Toities was from Formaikahini, was she the originator?

Here's the legendary thread from which we got our name
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=2751&forum=5

8T

Hey #54, According to A.C's new system, I'm gonna guess that you are a "New Friend".

I think I must have gravitated into "Turd-o" by now although I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps a sort of "larval" stage.

And much like my daily commutes on the highways, I have hopes of completely avoiding the "F*ckhead"

On 2003-02-24 17:22, laney wrote:
this summer, I'll have a new drink for everyone, the HulaLula, aka flaming B*%^h!We'll all toast our toity asses to you baby! Love ya!

Laney Baby!
When can I come down for one of those!
I'll bring the limes.

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-30 13:16 ]

L
laney posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 2:28 PM

Well, I said I'd never have another party after the get together I had last year but I've been working on my yard and outdoor bar so I'm going to do it again this year.

I've been helping make things for my sisters "Pink Elephant Martini party" and bought a bunch of those cocktail candy sugars (soooo yummy). So I'm all pumped about having an afternoon swim/martini party at my pad this summer!

I just need to get the house in order (a huge job for someone who collects way too much stuff) Oh, and Shelly, I should have a new pool heater by then!

I'll get thinking on what to put in the 'flaming bitch' shot. Any suggestions?

B

On 2004-01-30 10:22, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
I think "Newbie" is demeaning and feel quite strongly it should be changed to "New Friend","Turd-o" or "F*ckhead".

just call me tiki-turd. Damn that should have been my screen name.

#
#54 posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 10:04 PM

I like "Turd-O". Sounds kind of like a vintage cereal.

Wally and Beaver? Would you like some freshly delivered milk with your Turd-O's? Yes mother, we would love some.

Pages: 1 17 replies