Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Antici ........ pation!

Pages: 1 15 replies

I believe I've discovered what it is that makes a hand made tropical drink such an experience.

It's the ritualistic dance of sourcing, preparing and combining all the varied ingredients.

The making of the drink is as enticing as actually drinking it. It's the foreplay before the the consumation.

It's not a matter of simply flipping off a non-descript bottle cap or pouring soda into a shot of soulless gin. But rather it is a high mass of imbibery.

Conversly, making a good tropical drink is a pain in the ass. Which is probably a good thing in that its time-consuming construction limits its production which greatly decreases brain cell destruction.

"Excuse me waiter! I believe I'll have another Mai Tai"

To a 'Tribe Called Tiki' - Aloha Oukou!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-08-11 21:10 ]

On 2002-08-11 21:09, Tiki_Bong wrote:
"I believe I'll have another Mai Tai"

A man has to believe in something! :wink:

pour it.
pour it.

T

With no salt on the rim!!!!

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!.
I HAVE DRANK FROM THE CHALICE
(it was a Tiki mug)
I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT
(it was a glass fish float wrapped in a net)
I HAVE TRAVELED THROUGH THE WILDERNESS AND BASKED IN THE WONDER OF DISCOVERY
(it was liquor store that sold Demarara Rum in Oceanside)
AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
Al

I have got to start drinking again!
This any fruit juice mixed with Mountain Dew thing has got to go.
Or should I just watch and be there to drive?
YES NO YES NO I DON'T KNOW
Hey Bong Thanks for the visual

K

We went to Trader Vic's last Saturday (what an experience - highly recommended) but I couldn't believe the bartenders! One Samoan Fogcutter had about 15 - 20 ingredients - It was incredible. It was mezmorizing just watching them pour(or maybe that was the the fog from the Scorpian I had just finished moments before).
Making a Tropical Cocktail is Truly an artform. Salute/Kompi/Chin-Chin!!

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Aug 17, 2002 7:02 PM

Suckem up, OKOLE MALUNA!! Hay BaxDog, Since you don't drink, If you eva come to da islands I'll treat ya to "KAVA"......ewwww. Don't be scared, it's just a natural root that locals drink here on da islands that gets you high man! "A TABOO" no liquor is in it. It taste bad but make me feel so funny. Has anyone had Kava? Bong? AL? With a name like "Bong" I know you've had some good stuff! It's Legal by the way. It cost $4.50 it comes in a bowl the size of a half cut coconut. Wierd Unc had 2 of them and was smilin' the rest of the night. CHEERS to all!
Gecko

I'm still smiling! That stuff was the real deal. The Tiki Central Kava Ceremony has been born. Visit Oahu and Gecko for the whole experience!

-Weird Unc

I am standing in line!!!
Now where can I Kava State side.
I would love to come to da Islands man, but I can't wait that long!!
Thanks GECKO
One of these days we will come say ALOHA :D

That Kava sounds great, Gecko! I was wondering if it was the same stuff I tried at a festival years ago, but that turned out to be "Khat".

Some note about Kava from a herb website I just found...."With its tonic, strengthening, and mildly analgesic properties, kava kava is a good remedy for chronic pain, helping to reduce sensitivity and to relax muscles that are tensed in response to pain. It has an antiseptic action and in the past it was used specifically to treat venereal disease, especially gonorrhea. Absorption in the gastrointestinal tract is remarkably rapid, so the effects are felt almost immediately. It is used as an intoxicating beverage in certain South Sea islands. It can induce lethargy, drowsiness and dreams. It is one of the best pain-relieving herbs."

Good stuff, huh?

Trader Woody

Aloha! Yes, I'm a big fan of Kava...I've got about twenty pounds of the stuff...check out kickbackwithkava.com,konakavafarm.com, or kavaking.com...make sure you buy the ground root, not the whole root or the capsules...these sights have bowls as well, but it is cheaper to buy from fijian websites, or Samoans ones...depending on which type of bowl you prefer...search under kava on ebay as well.....The fun thing about kava is the whole ritual, the hand clapping, sitting on the floor, draining the whole coconut...people usually think I'm nuts when I try to get them into it...but they feel not pain when they leave my ohana....You are happy as hell, but your mind remains CRYSTAL CLEAR while you're on this test...hell, you could take a physics exam on this stuff, and be happy about it....But the only thing to watch for, is that too much...hours of drinking,...will relax your muscles a lot...There is a kava bar in Honolulu...the only one I know of...and you can't sit at the bar and order kava(Which is made to order there)...you have to sit at a table, and then get up and walk across the room to get your bowl ...they want to see how you walk...you can be cut off in a kava bar...Some people have been stopped for driving under the influence,,,but then let go in court as it isn't covered by law...and, for my fellow Kavaphiles in the UK...it iS illegal in the UK pending investigation....but from what I can tell...it is a totally safe, legal, healthy, non-addictive libation...and, with the rituals in place, is more of an event...I don't drink it without all the pomp and ceremony Enjoy

G

Aloha TraderWoody,

I have never tried Khat. What's it taste like?

Aloha Gecko,

Khat isn't a lot of fun, as you just have to keep chewing leaves. They taste quite bitter, but pretty much like taking a chew of any leaf that you wouldn't think was edible. You basically feel like a giraffe just chewing crappy leaves off the tree.

I got bored chewing, and got back to more tried & tested ways of getting into 'the fun zone'. This was at a festival, so perhaps I'd give it more time on a rainy Tuesday evening at home!

Trader Woody

H

On 2002-08-11 21:09, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I believe I've discovered what it is that makes a hand made tropical drink such an experience.

It's the ritualistic dance of sourcing, preparing and combining all the varied ingredients.

The making of the drink is as enticing as actually drinking it. It's the foreplay before the the consumation.

It's not a matter of simply flipping off a non-descript bottle cap or pouring soda into a shot of soulless gin. But rather it is a high mass of imbibery.

Conversly, making a good tropical drink is a pain in the ass. Which is probably a good thing in that its time-consuming construction limits its production which greatly decreases brain cell destruction.

"Excuse me waiter! I believe I'll have another Mai Tai"

To a 'Tribe Called Tiki' - Aloha Oukou!

I concur! Yes, I know this thread is over a decade old, but it is worth bringing up.

Yes, The classics......

Pages: 1 15 replies