Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki room tiki, palm tiki page 15 5/3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 222 replies

Holy Heck! Great tiki, really, great, tiki.

It's a big piece of pure aloha.

WOW! Polly, you are the man.

What kind of wood? The bark looks like palm but the closeup looks like hardwood.

M

Poly! This one rocks for sure! I can taste the palm dust now. If I could only finish my backyard. I'm grounded from carving anything that doesn't complete the yard. (Already have 13 Tikis hangin out watching us

At least it will cool off before I'm carving again!!!

Great job on the 6 footer.. a real beauty!

thank you peeps!

palama, tikiwahine - thank you very much. I tried to put as much "aloha" into this one as I could

JT - yeah, it's palm (mexican fan, I believe). I tried to leave as many chisel marks as I could, I like the way they look after being stained. thanks for the comps!

Mc - sounds like you've got one cool backyard! stay cool and keep carvin'. thanks!

Aloha,

Here's a new one I carved up especially for the Lucky Tiki art show: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16991&forum=4&12

Good times with good people. It was real nice to be able to hang and meet many TCers. I might just have to do it again

I bring you "Matey" the pirate:

The funny thing about this is he should actually be
numbered full body #6...ooh well.

WHat's a pirate without some DIY tattoos?

mmmm....rum....this actually attaches onto the pirates "belt""Keel-Haul Rum, Un-parrrrrr-alleled Sipping Rum For Scurvy Scalliwags"

and the triumphant return on the cannibal. THis poor tiki has been through a lot...but he's got a new fresh coat of stain and is ready to make an old-school mark!

THanks for lookin'...I'll have another one shortly that is going to be up for auction at the Luck Tiki for C'al's marathon!

really nice especially leaving the beard.

Would I? Wood Eye? Peg Leg!

Great job and thanks for sharing.

http://www.PalmCityTiki.com

You arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr nuts, matey!

Very creative Polynesiac. I love it.

WOW!! Excuse me while I wipe up my drool. That is one of the coolest carvings I have see in a while. I love the use of color and mixed materials .
Very original.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 31, 2005 6:43 PM

Arrr that there be fine looking tiki, matey.

very nice Poly....took a couple of looks to notice
the peg leg...

B

Poly, I think you have finaly outdone yerself this time. This Salty old pirate is Awesome as Hell and So full of Character if he stands in one spot too long he will drown in it. You captured the personality so perfectly that you HAVE to have a Bit of Pirate in your history somewhere. Love the beard abnd the peg leg. Most of all I LOVE THAT PIRATE!!!
You MUST find LESS time for Work and MORE time forcarving.
You are truely a Master, you can teach me Anytime..

That's some fine tiki craftsmanship! As always, great work, Polynesiac!

More maritime tiki booty from polynesiac! I LOVE this one. He aughta be careful with that sword or he'll be sportin' another peg.

SF

Polynesiac, that tiki pirate is cool! You do great work.

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I had fun carving this one and your posts get me fired to finish the next one!

Palm - I like how the frond remnants resemble hair and I think it worked on this one. thank you! Wood is Good!

surf - yes

JT - we need more stuff from ya, brah!

rodeo - I was actually going to carve the bandanna, but decided that having actual material with a little stuffing would look better. He also carries the rum bottle too. And what's a pirate without a sword? thanks bro!

Hewey - we'll get that pirate mug made yet, eh mate?

conga - I decided to stain the peg leg a darker stain at the last minute, I think it stands out a bit more, but still blends in with the piece. It's almost "accepted" as part of a pirate. thanks for the comp

Ben - thank you very much, that means a lot to me, coming from such a respected carver. carving is very therapeutic for me, I should do it more. You are the true mastah, Benzart-son

thanks sam!

aaron - he sure will! two pegs and one leg! :wink:

swampfire - thank you! you do AWESOME work (that outrigger print ROCKS!)

Jim, I really like that pirata! Cool as hell!

AAARRRRR!! Me likes!!

Danny - thank you! I can't wait to check out the tiki drive in

skully - thanks! you should do one!

Polynesiac, I was pleasantly surprised to log on & see your post #1 in Hanford's "Cool & Currents"! None of my doing (wish I had), but now I think I'll jump on the bandwagon & cast my vote too. You deserve it, Jim - way to go!

A-A

V
virani posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2005 8:48 AM

cool, I love the pirate. Especially the tatoo on his arms...

K
kirby posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2005 6:06 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing this guy in person at the lucky tiki art show, It is very well thought out and has so much caricter... well done jim...

Mahalo for the praise. I'm glad that you all like him and thank you as well for the votes (thats you AA and everyone else!).

Virani -we don't see you much in creating tiki, thank you very much for the props.

Kirby - He's much less washed out in person. Love my pendant, bro! thanks!

Hey folks no new carving for C'al's auction, but I'll be putting a blue glass fishing float light up for grabs. It's a 12 inch diameter one.

here's his auction thread

and here's my donation:

thanks for lookin!

It was a pleasure to finally meet you last Sunday at the Lucky Tiki. I really like your carving skills. Your work even looks better in person. Jim please let me know when you do another carving class!!
Later,
Spermy

I am Nalu! God of the surf and the waves!

I haven't posted one in a while, so here's one I did for a commision some time ago. It's 1.5 feet (ish) from a redwood 4x4.
First one of a series.

Thanks for lookin'...more later...

O

Thats friggin' sweet!!! You better carve more!!

Poly,Beautiful work

K

Hecka nice!!!!!

Aloha Polynesiac!!!!!
I love the Nalu!!! I have been wonder where you have been my friend? I hope your back and posting your killer carvings!!!!Aloha your friend, Jimmy Mooney

very cool poly....how long ago did you do it? Looks like he's ready to take a chomp out of
someone...or something. Nice.

I like this guy. Brimming with tude.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2006 3:42 PM

I agree, very very nice.

J

Looks very nice. Post more stuff!
JP

B
Bete posted on Mon, Feb 27, 2006 2:22 PM

Nice piece, I like the mouth, eyes, back of headress and base on that one, very creative.

Polynesiac-

That guy is freakin Sweet!!!! Thanks for sharing photo's!!!

B

Poly, poly, you're killin' me. This guy is Excellent. Right, you haven't posted in awhile and we Miss that so come on and burn the midnight oil if you must, We need MORE.

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. It's responses like those that keep me going. I do truly appreciate it. Ben, Ona I got more in the works, just need to focus on one and finish them. I have too many at different stages. Mooney - I've been here, just not posting my stuff. Hopefully they'll be some more soon. Conga - I did this guy right before christmas, he was a gift I was commisioned to carve for an avid surfer.

Don't upset NALU! Waves can be gentle or destructive!

KK

Aloha again Brah!
Shootz brah! I have to say that "nalu" really hits me in a certain way that warms this mokes heart! Your style brings me right back to being a keiki in Hawaii! Your work has a very late 60's/early 70's Hawaiian kine look & feel to it! I also love your typography on the Tiki...Really makes me feel like a kid again bruddah! You have to love a carving that makes you feel like I feel!

Is Nalu sold? Id love to display him in our gallery up here in Pasadena if youd like to work out a consignment deal? Let me know cuz!!

Again, I love your work brah, love it!

MD

" I am Nalu! God of the waves or maybe a really painful burrito movement! AArrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!"

Great, now I've done it....my house is gonna wiped out by a really weird Colorado tsunami....

Great work as always Poly....I'm gonna copy everything ya do. Just so ya know.

MD

Poly rules!!!!!!!

"Somedays I'm an Artist. Other days I'm just a poo flinging monkey"

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-02-28 20:04 ]

COOOOL! This means good surf is on the way! Nice piece.

Great stuff, Polynesiac. Digging the 2 tone, rope, but most of all, the design.

Nalu Rocks!

J
john posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2006 9:46 PM

that feller is awesome, can you post some pics of the design elements on the back of his head?
-john

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 1, 2006 6:59 PM

Cool dude! Nice work, looks great standing on his little base.

THanks for the comments, everyone!
kaha - WOW! what a great offer, I'd totally jump on that...only the tiki is gone. He is happily residing with his new caretaker. Let's see if we can work something out with future stuff. I'll pm ya

Dale - really painful burrito movement? Well...I suppose that's a wave of some sort...

I'm gonna copy everything ya do. Just so ya know.

please do. I'm copying everything you do as well.
good save on the double post! :)

surfin' - I hope that cape cod surf starts pumping. wear a wet suit! :)

sam - thanks, my friend. I think the rope adds a little extra "sumfin' nice" to the carvings.

Aaron - Aaron rocks! (howz the redwood?)

john - thanks, here ya go:

the back top (on the headress)

The back on the base:

Hewey - Thanks for the props, bro

THanks for looking!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 222 replies