Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Mug Paintings • Page 5 •

Pages: 1 2 3 99 replies

I plan to do a ton of these for Hukilau. I'm getting an early start. Let me know what you all think, and what mugs you would like to see painted.

Mr.Bali-Hai:

Steve Crane:

Suffering Bastard:

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-05-21 16:27 ]

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-06-24 08:19 ]

K
Kanaka posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2004 6:15 PM

Those are fantastic Flounder!!! They almost look real. How about a Frankoma war god mug and a Ren Clark severed head mug since I can't afford the real things!

Kanaka

M

Nice stuff. Now I think I'm barking up the wrong tree but would you consider doing a modern mug? I have Poptiki from Munktiki in mind and would quickly buy it (or trade) from you at the Hukilau or here at TC.
Last time I was at the Mai Kai the gentlemen 1 stool down was singing praises of your work, apartenly just having bought one of your paintings.

B

Small world gathers around great artwork.

P

thirrrrrrsssssstyyyyyy.

rummmmmmmmm.

Oh Sheet! Those look real to me. NIIIIIICCE.

Nice job!
They are beautiful!

T

Great work Flounder.

Excellent work. I think I'd better start making out my Xmas wish list now.

-Z

C

Morgantown Trader Vic's tiki stem glass
Trader Vic's Voodoo tumbler
BK's Hale Tiki
Shecky
Munktiki's Evil Bastard (I get dibs)

oh heck, just get started on all of 'em, you make them all look fabulous.

KK

Sad, isn't it? Maybe one day this "Flounder" fellow will hone his skills to meet our critical approval. Perhaps.
In the meantime, did ya' send ME my travel bar yet!?!

I especially like the sheen on the "Steve Crane."

On 2004-02-04 17:57, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I plan to do a ton of these for Hukilau. I'm getting an early start. Let me know what you all think, and what mugs you would like to see painted.

Flounder your stuff continually amazes me.

This stuff harkens back to some of the first things I saw on ebay by you.

I do remember a painting of a Frankoma that went out of my impoverished price range.

Keep going!
TG

HL

Mai Kai decanter & something from Westwood

Very nice Flounder.....

Nice! I aways liked that Steve Crane mug...

Here's two more, though the quality of the pics suck.
Frankoma:

Ren Clark:

Original Art by Flounder

wow! I'm highly impressed flounder
nice work

B

I think I'd rather have those than the mugs!!

G

HO! da Ren Clark is ono brahdda. Looks like I have to order dat because I cannot find da mug!

On 2004-02-26 22:16, GECKO wrote:
HO! da Ren Clark is ono brahdda. Looks like I have to order dat because I cannot find da mug!

These paintings are so realistic that if you put them at the back of your collection they may pass as mugs.

These paintings are so realistic that if you put them at the back of your collection they may pass as mugs.

You'll have to wrap these paintings extra carefully so that they don't get "broken" when you ship them to their lucky owners...

B

FLOUNDERart, I like them all, but the Frankoma is my favorite. I agree with the rest, they look breakable. Amazing

WOW! These are so delicious looking. You take my eye candy and by polishing and cleaning up the details you make it ten times yummier!

The great classical painters distinguished themselves by having an eye for lighting, and you really SEE my lighting.
I was lucky to have over ten years of gaffing and cinematography experience when I began my still photography of Tiki style, and so I knew how to make my mugs glisten, gleam, and glow.

They are lit by Kino Flos, a lighting system developed by German Canadian Gaffer Frieder Hochheim during the shooting of "Bar Fly" (how appropriate to use them for Tiki mugs). Their "sheen" highlights really bring out the sculptural qualities of the mugs.

You keep amazing me, great stuff! Bigbro's right about the eye candy.... gnarly!

THOSE PAINTINGS ARE KICK ASS FLOUNDER! I CAN'T BELEIVE THE ART I'M SEEING ON TC. EVERYONE HERE IS EXTREMELY TALENTED. I WISH I COULD CREATE SUCH WORKS. I NEED A MENTOR....

K

i am humbled completely

are you going to be in the show at M modern gallery in may Flounder??? you should meet those folks over there...they are a TOTALLY gonna drop a load on your web page...and they are really nice people too!

keep them coming brother!!! MORE MORE MORE!

B

What, when and where is the show you speak of, Kooche?

K

the Mmodern gallery is holding a show on May 8th...they are in Palm Springs CA and the show is called "i dream of tiki" with stars like shag and tim biskup david burke etc...

it should be cool!

B

Thanx Kooche.
Flounder sounds like a show you need to be in. Do you do any local shows? Went to the "Art Under the Oaks" show in Vero this past weekend and it was Very impressive except there was not 1 piece of Tiki anywhere. Beautiful venue for a show tho.

Thanks everyone!

Kooche, is it to late to get into the show? I really don't have anything to show though. I need to restock.
Ben, I use to do shows in Orlando, but I quit doing them in 1997 ( I did 17 shows that year) I was burnt out.

I plan to pound out some new work this week before heading down to meet Ben and go to the Mai Kai.

P

...did someone say "Mai Kai?"

Yeah, me and Kailuageoff will be a the Mai Kai on Saturday. Can you make it?

P

Can I? Sure.

Will I? Sadly - not this weekend as I will be puting the final touches on the Lagoon Lounge... including Monkeyman's fab frame.

Have fun kids!

I was going to save these mugs for Hukilau but decided to sell them now.

You can see price and details on my web site.

8T

Hey Flounder/Scott. I just sent you a message from your site. I gotta have the Frankoma Ku for Mrs. 8 FT !!!!!!!!!
Thanks for reserving it for me.

Dang. I'd be all over the Suffering Bastard if the big boss, uh, I mean Beautiful Bride of mine would let me (tax season, plus a major boost in our property taxes... Yikes!) I guess for now just accept my jaw-dropped admiration.

-Z

8T

To Flounder:

Well my man, the Frankoma Ku painting arrived yesterday and we couldn't wait to open the package. I have to say with all sincerity that you are a very gifted fellow. Mrs. 8FT is so delighted to have this for our home! We spent several minutes looking at it from close up to far away and in different lighting so that we could get a real feel for the best place to put it. What fun it was to receive this great painting. Thank you so much!!!!
Mr. & Mrs. 8FT Tiki

To The TC community:
Seeing this mans work in person is fantastic.
Just let me say that this painting is so amazing because you really get such a 3D effect from it. Seems as if you can walk over and pick up that mug! If you ever have a chance to obtain an original Flounder piece...DO IT! Those of you who are fortunate enough to be able to attend Hukilau and see his art there know what I mean. Anyway thanks a lot.

(this has been an unpaid endorsement for flounder for president) 8FT Tiki - treasurer

Save the Tikis!

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-03-26 11:18 ]

I second that! Simply beautiful work, Flounder.

http://www.samgambino.com

Thanks 8ft and Gambino, I'm glad you liked them so much. Flounder for president? Scary thought.

B

The scary part is President of What?
Flounder,I'll have one of your paintings one day.

On 2004-03-27 07:32, Benzart wrote:
The scary part is President of What?
Flounder,I'll have one of your paintings one day.

I smell a trade.

B

Sorta smells that way doesn't it.

I'm the proud owner of the Steve Crane painting! It just arrived in today's post, and what can I say - it looks absolutely amazing! It's so well painted that even examining the fine brushstrokes closely, it's difficult to see how such a realistic painting can be achieved.

Once the Lono Lounge is fully operational, I'll give it pride of place. (And post a photo of it hung up)
Cheers Flounder!

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-04-06 17:37 ]

B

5{ AMAZING work! I would've replied sooner, but after seeing your work, I've been busy breaking all of my brushes into tiny little pieces. I can't believe I missed out on buying one of those...man, you overlook ONE thread and...sheesh.

http://photo.starblvd.net/BarnettSigns

[ Edited by: BARNETT on 2004-04-06 02:53 ]

[ Edited by: BARNETT on 2004-04-06 02:53 ]

V

Damn, I wish i could have one of these tiki mug paintings...so i won't break those in pieces.
Are you going to do new ones ? because i'm on the list for the next one. They're fantastic.

V

Why don't you make a PMP mug painting, or tiki bob ? That would be so great.

K

more please! more please more please! feed me!

your paintings are just beautiful man...i can't get over them...so smart!

Pages: 1 2 3 99 replies