Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Mug Paintings • Page 5 •

Pages: 1 2 3 99 replies

B

ummmm, weird...my post disappeared. :-?
To re-cap my thoughts from last night...wish I had seen the thread sooner...I woulda snatched up at least one or two of those! Those things are BEE-YOU-T-FUL! Nice work. Now...back to breaking my brushes into tiny little pieces...apparently I've been buying the wrong ones because my brushes never produce anything of that caliber. :( :wink:

8ft, Gambino, and Woody, I'm glad you received them and like them so much.

Thanks Virani, I will be doing more when ever I get a chance, however I will be raising the price some on the account that they take a while to paint. Send me your email address through my site if you want to be on my mailing list.

Thanks Barnett, dont break them brushes. Maybe try something different. Different style, different type of paint. You'll find something that works for you.

Kooche, heres another one I just did for Ragin Rarotongan.

Hope you all like.

K
kooche posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2004 6:01 PM

YES!

this one is fantastic! i love all the reflective qualities you take the time to really punch up...the lighting is just perfect! i imagine that DOES take some time...let me say as a fellow painter that the effects you are building here are WORTH the time that you put in...it's like seeing a GREAT special effect for the first time...i really admire your personal vision and the strength it takes to make it a reality for us all...you kill me man! you never screw up with color ...EVER and that is KEY! i can't wait to see a piece in person!

Barnett ...good brushes are KEY too...don't stomp on them just yet...there is a really good reason for the existence of erasers being at the top of a pencil...most painters erase MORE than they add to a piece...i know i do!

I actually use shitty brushes, mostly Loew-Cornell. There like two bucks for a number 2 round. I'm cheap that way. Although I must say that if a brush dosen't have a sharp point to the tip it's going to give you problems.

K
kooche posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2004 3:39 PM

sable siempre...when i spin my brush i expect uniformity...if i can't get it from one brush i get it from another...though they cost...the water based material i use is WAY less damaging than acrylics...so they last and last...SO WORTH the cost

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2004 3:40 PM

ho! dats scarry! looks so much like wun picture! ONO!

I just wanted to thank Scott again for the bad ass painting of the Mai Kai decanter he did for me. his work is simply outstanding. i can't wait to see the painting in person, as it looks unreal on a computer screen. i will definitely be back to purchase more in the near future. i wish Flounder all of the best in his art career. in the short time i have been a collector of tiki related art, i have become a huge fan of his work.

These paintings are so incredible Flounder!!! Are you going to have any left for Hukilau this year??? Seems like everyone is snatching them up quicker than you can paint them. Great work!!!

amazing stuff.....hope to see some of yer stff down at hukilau

Here's some I just painted for the Kahiki Moon.

V

Those are incredible...i love the Hawaii Kai vahine & tiki mug.
Can't wait to have mine...

Flounder - these paintings are AWESOME!

Your work continues to amaze me, thanks for posting - I love to gawk at them!

B

I can't wait to see your stuff at HukiLau. I hope I'll have enough stuff to trade for a piece. Excellent work as usual Flounderart.

Flounder,

Your work is perfectly suited for U.S. Commemorative stamps. Have you ever thought of submitting? You'd make this stamp collector very happy.

Sabu

Oooooh, I likie likie.

That's awesome Sabu. Can I really submit something like this? I might just check in to this.....

D

here, Flounder
How do I submit art or an idea for a Postage Stamp?

i love the stamp idea!

Stamp submissions:

Subjects should be submitted at least three years in advance of the proposed date of issue to allow sufficient time for consideration and for design and production, if the subject is approved.

"it is our policy not to review nor accept unsolicited artwork"

Yes, these couldn't be cooler. Forget the stamps, put 'em on US Treasury bonds! :wink:

J

Hello all...
Finally got my Kahona painting by Flounder framed. Now the spot on the wall that I had reserved in it's honor has it's destiny fulfilled.

Thanks again, Flounder.
Its the jewel of my collection.

JonPez
http://www.playgroundzero.net/tiki/
------_-

-On the eternal search for the recipe for Kobe's white sauce -

[ Edited by: JonPez on 2004-06-01 00:33 ]

T

Flounder what kind of paint doyou use? I was at WALLY-MART and came across a whole basket of acrylic paint on clearance and I thought of you, well first I thought I would lbuy them for myself then I thought of you and your art and then I thought of you and thought who's kidding who here. So after alot of thinking (yes I am testing a new drink as I type this grape/mango/rum) I am wondering if you could use these if I go grab them up?

O

We LOVE you!!! :lol:
:drink:

I love you to Ona.

For all the people out their waiting on their commissioned mug paintings I can now get started that I have finished all the Kahiki Moon stuff. Shouldn't be long now, thanks for your patience.

These are NICE! :)

So much talent on this site. How did I miss TC until now?! :)

Are the new ones for sale, or commisioned work?

[ Edited by: MutantTiki on 2004-06-24 08:35 ]

T

Dang Flounder, those new ones look incredible.

Thanks Flounder for doing the Peanut Mug. It looks so awesome!! :D
I can't wait to see it in person.

Again thanks for the long hours slaved away at this - it was so worth it!

Sally & Jay

On 2004-06-24 08:30, MutantTiki wrote:
These are NICE! :)

So much talent on this site. How did I miss TC until now?! :)

Are the new ones for sale, or commisioned work?

[ Edited by: MutantTiki on 2004-06-24 08:35 ]

Sorry MutantTiki they were all commisions. Everything I do now is commisioned, it's good that I have the work but I would like to paint for myself again someday. I am however started to catch up so maybe that day will come soon.

On 2004-06-24 08:42, SallyandJay wrote:
Thanks Flounder for doing the Peanut Mug. It looks so awesome!! :D
I can't wait to see it in person.

Again thanks for the long hours slaved away at this - it was so worth it!

Sally & Jay

This is Jay of SallyandJay

Sally's words of thanks do not portray the giddy excitement she experienced when the photo was posted.

The humble peanut mug was her first Thrift Score mug and holds a place of honor in the living room. Only 39 cents was required for her admission to the Tiki Fun Land, I fear she many never come home.

B

keep it up, keep it up. These are lookin Sooo good.

I just wanted to say "Thank you" to Scott once again for the 2 incredible paintings that I now own. I have the Mai Kai decanter, and now the Tiki Bob. The pictures do not do these paintings justice, the detail and reflections in the paintings are simply incredible. I look forward to meeting Scott at Hukilau, so I can buy him a Mai Tai.

As always, beautiful work! I especially like the tikibob.

-vw

T

I get the feeling that Flounder and a fair number of the other artists are going to be nothin' but stumblin' at Hukilau for all the Mai Tai's bought for them. :wink:

F
foamy posted on Thu, Jun 24, 2004 3:03 PM

Damn. The bar is sooo high – I can't even see the damn thing.

I just checked out your web-site. Go flounder!

V

Thanks a lot Scott,

It looks FANTASTIC. I already have a nice place on the wall for your Don's painting.

Flounder baby! I LOVE your paintings! I thought they were photographs at first, of actual mugs. I bet you get that a lot!

I will see you at the Hukilau! :)

~Lenore in Miami

D

i am happy to say, that im the new owner of the Mark Thomas Outrigger painting by Flounder

it really cant be captured well on camera ~ the colors and the feel of the actual painting is fantastic.

thanks SO MUCH!!

elicia

Flounder, I'm constantly amazed by your work. I can't wait to see one in person!

i never knew that mark thomas was so tall dark and handsome. elicia, you are one lucky babe! :)
i bet he looks even better in person.
flounder~ your art is astounding. it looks like you hit the bullseye with recreating that lovely outrigger green glaze. breathtaking.....i love that mug.

(side note: it is odd to come to the realization that while most 'normal' adult females would prefer pictures of hunky men, i would prefer pin-ups of tiki mugs.)

On 2004-06-26 21:50, Polynesiac wrote:
Flounder, I'm constantly amazed by your work. I can't wait to see one in person!

Hukilau? Hopefully I will actually have something to sell.

Thanks for all the complimants.

Here's a better image.

I will be making five different postcards of mugs. Three of them are in the pic above. I still need to do two more before printing.
I will be using one of each image and packaging them up together as five per package.
They will be availible by Hukilau if not sooner.
I think it would be cool to receive one of these in the mail!
Let me know if you think this is a good idea and if you would be interested.

B

Yo, Flo, maybe you and I should split a table at Hukilau, seeing as we won't have much to sell. By the time we get done with trades, there won't be anything left but table space.

D

*On 2004-07-06 10:38, FLOUNDERart wrote:*Let me know if you think this is a good idea and if you would be interested.

its not a good idea..its a GREAT idea! for those of us who will be hukilau-less, will you offer these through the mail?

yay, the Mark Thomas is one you picked.. i so adore my painting!!

elicia

Ben, I will have enough stuff to sell by then. I'm going to stop everything else a month before and paint for Hukilau.

Elicia, they will be availible through mail.

T
THOR's posted on Thu, Jul 8, 2004 6:21 AM

Flounder!! LOVE the mug paintngs!!! maybe we can do a trade some time...the way true artists aquire great art!! Hey..what is the Hukilau?? Is this a Tiki convention?? As you know, my paintings are sold in Hawaii an I am persuing more Tiki" related areas to sell my work as well.... Any leads are appreciated!

Thor, thanks for the comp. Hukilau is the biggest East Coast tiki gathering, it's held in Fort Lauderdale Florida.

Check it out here: http://www.thehukilau.com/

Trade? Perhaps we could work something out. Have you checked out my web site? Links at the bottom.

Your art inspires me. I sell my stuff for pretty cheap so I don't put much time into it. I have a commissioned painting for a new tiki bar and I'm getting a fare price so I'm excited that I can put a little more time into it. You should feel bleesed that you can poor your heart into your paintings. Someday I hope to do this again.

Later

Got my painting back from the framers yesterday. Thanks Again Flounder - the painting absolutely rocks! I added a picture of it framed and the little peanut mug that inspired the painting. Enjoy!

Flounder,

I've been admiring 'Savage Sophisticate 3' for the past week or so. I love it! Incredibly intense & one to scare kids with. Having it here, the Tiki details really emerge, such as the little pufferfish, and the word 'rum' looming from over his shoulder.

Cheers!
Trader Woody

O

excellent work, i thought they were real snap shots at first, WOW, that is great work

Pages: 1 2 3 99 replies