Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Oasis of Eden

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

I did a search here on TC before posting this, and nothing came up.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this place before, and somehow it has eluded my all-seeing, all-knowing gaze for all these years.

It looks like a Madonna Inn lite.

Anyone been there?

Jab?

The Tahiti Room and Safari Suite look dissapointing, but I am digging the Cave Room and the Jungle Room.

Is this Witco?

http://www.oasisofeden.com/

T

The cave room, the jungle room, and then, what the heck is that 3rd one? The red vinyl duvet room?
I don't think bedspreads should be sponge-wipeable, sorry!

EW.

T
thejab posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2004 1:18 PM

Nope, I haven't been but it's strange you bring it up because I just received an email from another friend this week about this place. That 50s room would be nightmare inducing!

Another hotel with theme rooms is in Los Alamos, CA.

http://www.unionhotelvictmansion.com/

Select the link to "Victorian Mansion".

A couple I know spent their entire honeymoon staying at theme room hotels. I know they stayed at the Madonna Inn and the Union Hotel but I'll have to ask them if they did the Oasis of Eden.

Darn, that's sweet! With that name, I expect the employees would be, in accordance with the theme, dressed in Adam and Eve costumes!

T

On 2004-02-06 13:18, thejab wrote:
Nope, I haven't been but it's strange you bring it up because I just received an email from another friend this week about this place. That 50s room would be nightmare inducing

See, there I was thinking that you Californians had every Kitschy landmark noted, indexed, memorized.

M

On 2004-02-06 15:04, tikibars wrote:

On 2004-02-06 13:18, thejab wrote:
Nope, I haven't been but it's strange you bring it up because I just received an email from another friend this week about this place. That 50s room would be nightmare inducing

See, there I was thinking that you Californians had every Kitschy landmark noted, indexed, memorized.

James, maybe you could do the Kitschy Landmark review pages and then the Kitschy Landmark Road Trip book!!! Does someone second my motion??

OK, this is gonna be a bit long as well as going on to a non-Tiki subject. But here goes:

I don't know about this Oasis of Eden place, but I used to know the owner of the Union Hotel/Victorian Mansion. He was a guy from Simi Valley, CA that wanted to start a themed B&B. He found the Union Hotel in Los Alimos and wanted to restore it to it's 1880's look as one of the old Wells Fargo stops. The rooms there are pretty authentic. No TV's ,radios, etc. and only a couple of rooms have their own private bathrooms.

Then Dick (the owner) bought an abandoned Victorian house in Northern CA and brought it next to the Union Hotel. They gutted it, but preserved the exterior and had a team of amazing craftsmen and artisans do the interior into 6 rooms. I personally love the Victorian Mansion because so much artistic work and thought went into the whole thing. Each room has painted murals including some trompe l'oiel effects. All the bathrooms are hidden (they make you hunt for the secret openings.) And each room has corresponding themed music and movies on video. The beds are made from things like a Roman chariot, a real Gypsy wagon, and a vintage Cadillac.

Dick always wanted to continue building new rooms and features on the property which also includes a 1930's gas station. He was like the Walt Disney of B&B's. He was planning a Desert Island room (you can still see the old yacht he was gonna use there), a Treetop Room and a Dungeon Room in the basement. But he died suddenly of a heart attack and the place is now under different ownership. No new projects are planned although Dick did get to plant his hedge-maze in the back which now stands 12 feet tall. (I got to see it when it was only one foot high.)

I would still recommend this place to anyone for a special occasion. I just hope the service is still as top notch as it was when Dick owned it. It was his labor of love and wanted others to experience a place they would never forget.

Here is the old thread about the Modonna Inn.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=2729&forum=1

T

On 2004-02-06 15:23, mrsmiley wrote:
James, maybe you could do the Kitschy Landmark review pages and then the Kitschy Landmark Road Trip book!!! Does someone second my motion??

Oh, sure Bruce, I'll get right on that as soon as I finish the fabled "Conquistador Road Trip".

CRT: the joke that won't die...

On 2004-02-06 20:10, vintagegirl wrote:
All the bathrooms are hidden (they make you hunt for the secret openings.)

just what you want when your kidneys are bursting.

A

JT, thanks for posting this. I actually pass by Yucca Valley once in a while on biz trips going to 29 Palms. If I can get my co-travelers from work to stop and check out that place with me on the way some time, then I'll post an update.

-Randy

Pages: 1 10 replies