Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Fraternal Order of Tiki!

Pages: 1 12 replies

I've commented on this before, but with all the new members and with my visit with the Hoity Toities at Tiki Ti so fresh in my mind, I thought I'd ruminate again on the amazing social club we've got here at Tiki Central.

Bigbro said it best when we talked last week: Tiki Central is like a fraternity; you can go to pretty much any city in the country, as well as many overseas, and you will have friends there. People will be happy to meet you and join you for drinks. Many will show you around town.

I've met dozens of members - some in their home towns, some visiting here in Portland - and have never met anybody I didn't instantly like. Never hesitate to post your travel plans and try to organize a local TC get together when you're travelling - you won't be disappointed!

Here's how we were greeted at Tiki Ti when we visited LA:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7452&forum=4&26

Cheers!

M

Enjoyed the Lo Cal hospitality myself a few weeks ago and wanted to echo TikiMaxton's sentiments! Mahalo to all.

S

The Grand High Secret Greeting of the Fraternal Order of Tiki is the passing of the mug from bartender to guest.

S

Although, to be quite fair, it is not a Fraternity, but a Sodality. Fraternities are for men, Sororities for women, Sodalities, for both.

Im all for sodalities, as long as the womenfolk agree to wear the sacred fez.

On 2004-02-12 14:34, Swanky wrote:
Although, to be quite fair, it is not a Fraternity, but a Sodality. Fraternities are for men, Sororities for women, Sodalities, for both.

Thanks, Swanky! I knew their must be a word for an organization for both sexes, but I had no idea what it might be! Viva la Sodality!

I appreciate the PC gesture, but I still like "fraternity". It doesn't offend me.

"...Tiki Central is like a fraternity..."

If I think of Tiki Central as a Fraternity it makes more sense...The occasional brawls, shouting matches, hurt feelings, and name calling. And of course the beer busts, beer blasts, keggers, stein hoists, AA meetings... And now I sort of understand the paddling Maxton insisted on giving me when I visited Castaway Cove. Sort of.

Woof, I thought I made it quite clear that the paddling had nothing to do with Tiki Central. I'm afraid you're going to require another...

S

I think women in fezes are sexy...

On 2004-02-12 14:34, Swanky wrote:

Tell that to the women on my university campus... We've seen a recent surge in "women's fraternities" in, I guess, a linguistically incorrect push for equality.

Cory

I think the burgeoning Portland TC contingent should make a Rashneeshi style power grab for a lodge. The old Eagles Aviary up by the Space Room on Hawthorne looks ripe for the plucking. The fraternity needs a club house.

I think it would be VERY cool to have a clubhouse/bar that members can use, decorate, and enjoy.

Of course this is coming from someone that has no local access to any sort of tiki establishments.

Pages: 1 12 replies