Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Broken Tiki Mug Wall Art

Pages: 1 11 replies

J

Hello friends!

I was inspired to try this when I received a purchase from Ebay that rattled a little too much when it arrived. I tried my hand with carving but being that I was pleased at how this turned out I may just stick with other less labor intensive forms of expression. Also the thing is not entirely completed, I still need to trim off the pieces of linoleum and wood so it will appear to be self contained inside the bamboo... I just got a broken Kahiki mug last week and I might try again with a more authentic Mai Tai brown coloring for the "drink"!

Everyone tell me what you think...

I'm thinking of titling it "The Downfall of Dr. Funk" :)

Full view...

Detail...

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: Johntiki on 2004-02-13 10:03 ]

I like it. I think it boldly expresses all the mixed emotional elements of living life with a head full of liquor.

Chongolio

Nice.

Is that linoleum?

[ Edited by: nice fishy on 2004-02-13 12:17 ]

I like it! I just received a broken westwood style mug, I'm going to plant it in the garden along with the busted suffering bastard repro, only the tops are smashed on these two, so flowers popping out the top should look nice! The umbrella in yours is making me think of adding a couple to mine, not sure how long they'll last outside, but oh well!

Tikiwahine, could you varnish the umbrellas? Adding a couple of layers of boat varnish seems to be a standard soulution. Or maybe you could use Perspex/Plexiglas?

good idea freddiefreelance,
maybe coat it in an epoxy mix, although that may make the colours run... a spray varnish might help stop that?

B

That is pretty cool.
Makes you want to brush away the glass and slurp up that drink. No need to let it waste..

I love the fact that it looks exactly like it was JUST dropped on the floor...just like Benzart said, I don't want to let it go to waste! Makes me thirsty.

I love the fact that it looks exactly like it was JUST dropped on the floor

My sentiments exactly. You've successfully captured that "AW, CRAP!" moment that I seem to encounter all too often.
Nicely done!

Kindof reminds me of the fake barf you can get at joke shops. It would be fun to take that to a tiki bar and put it on the floor then watch the fun.

The Waikikian Tiki Gardens

http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

T

That is an awesome idea, John. Looks cool.

J

Thanks to all for the kind comments!

Pages: 1 11 replies