Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Things that aren't tiki

Pages: 1 24 replies

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can post pictures of items that well meaning friends have given us thinking they are tiki -- but aren't.

For instance, a friend brought this back from Eastern Europe (Latvia, I think):

It's carved wood. It seems to be an ashtray, but the indents are too big for cigarettes, so I think it may be meant for cigars (???)

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 23:26 ]

SDT:

I love the concept behind this post. Very funny. And I'll surmise once it's gets going, it will be a very informative and entertaining post as well.

-Slacks

On 2004-02-15 14:10, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can post pictures of items that well meaning friends have given us thinking they are tiki -- but aren't.

For instance, a friend brought this back from Eastern Europe (Latvia, I think):
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dc34b3127cceb8c5a7363fa60000001610[/img]

SDT: Just yesterday I saw almost exactly the same head figure, but three in a circle supporing a small bowl for cigarettes! my wahine pointed it out to me and i thought it was either eastern european or appalachian... thanks for the input

we have almost a lil running gag going when junk shopping now... she shows/hands me something and i go: "african/native american/american primitive/etc." ~ j$

On 2004-02-16 07:45, Johnny Dollar wrote:

we have almost a lil running gag going when junk shopping now... she shows/hands me something and i go: "african/native american/american primitive/etc."

I have a running gag going too. When I go thrift shopping with a friend I point to anything -- like a plastic Wyle E. Coyote mug -- and say "Tiki!"

The UK's antique shops always seem to have stuff by Sylvac. Kind of looks like Tiki from the corner of your eye and has driven me nuts over the years:

This last one even seems to have a Tiki influence around the eyes.

Trader Woody

Maybe the tiki influence was brought to the UK from Polynesia via "Mr & Mrs Brian Norris' Ford Popular".

stop it! this thread is getting too silly!!!

I don't have it anymore because it "accidently" broke, but my friends bought me this lamp with a monkey and a palm tree on it and thought it would fit in perfectly with my decor. In order to avoid hurting their feelings it had to be destroyed.

On 2004-02-17 18:23, vwtikigirl wrote:
I don't have it anymore because it "accidently" broke, but my friends bought me this lamp with a monkey and a palm tree on it and thought it would fit in perfectly with my decor. In order to avoid hurting their feelings it had to be destroyed.

Vwtikigirl - it wasn't white porcelain, was it? If so there's one that fits the bill in my local antique shop! I actually was quite tempted, despite it not really being Tiki. As it's all white, it has at least a vague tastefulness to it. Well, as much as a porcelain monkey lamp can be tasteful!

Trader Woody

nope wasn't white porcelain. It was from bed bath and beyond, and really cheesy. Anything antique I would at least try to throw on ebay, but this ugly lamp wasn't even worth the shipping :)

One of our daughters gave us 1 of those fiber optic palm trees with 2 plastic monkeys in it. Definately not Tiki, but still in the Tropical Kitsch mode.

Actually with me when a friend gets me something that is close to tiki, I still display it. I mean, hey they thought of me when they saw the item and that's good enough for me.

But I too have come across things that where not tiki, i'll look around for photos to post in the future.

Hmmmmmmm. Things that aren't tiki?

How Bout MotorHead!?

Can you imagine the "Ace of Spades" done via Exotica?

ooops. I only read the title.

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2004-02-19 22:05 ]

On 2004-02-19 22:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

How Bout MotorHead!?

ooops. I only read the title.

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2004-02-19 22:05 ]

Yep, I can. I was thinking the same about Rush's "Spirit of Radio" just his morning. I would also love to hear a Space Rock/Exotica/Irish Folk hybrid (Mellotron, bird calls, & tin whistles! Oh My!)...

I was once privileged to hear King Kukulele's version of "White Room".

On 2004-02-20 16:38, vintagegirl wrote:

I once heard him sing that Gilbert & Sullivan / Tom Lehrer song about the Periodic Table.

DZ

On 2004-02-20 16:38, vintagegirl wrote:

Was that the same enchanted evening that he did a duet with Iuka Grogg on "Smoke On The Water" and "Free Bird"?

We saw TC's own Wheeler Island's band (former band?) The Oklahoma Yacht Club at the Purple Orchid as few weeks ago, and they played a mean acoustic AC/DC set...

This is a "stone tiki" an area dealer and I played phone tag over for weeks. I can't complain; I kind of like it and it was a dollar. It makes me wonder if there is a group out ther collecting Inca, Aztec and Maya stuff.

I could not find any Tiki in this Ebay auction.(?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3387227271&category=434

Oh, and here's a first, a mosaic Tiki bar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381075776&category=3203

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-02-21 14:47 ]

On 2004-02-20 22:36, tikijackalope wrote:
This is a "stone tiki" an area dealer and I played phone tag over for weeks. I can't complain; I kind of like it and it was a dollar. It makes me wonder if there is a group out ther collecting Inca, Aztec and Maya stuff.

i have found much in the way of jewelry in small human forms, usually gold or gold tone. i got a pair of gold cufflinks a while back that really are ambiguous between tiki and aztek. but my gut is that they're aztek. as we mentioned back in the "pirates of the carribean" thread, there were idols that at first glance looked moai-like (elongation of features, etc.) but were really meso-american. i'm sure it's a pretty collectible field...

D

TraderWoody-those are frightening photos of ceramic produce.I'm thinking "Night of the Living Veggie Tales".

T

On 2004-02-20 22:36, tikijackalope wrote:
This is a "stone tiki" an area dealer and I played phone tag over for weeks. I can't complain; I kind of like it and it was a dollar. It makes me wonder if there is a group out ther collecting Inca, Aztec and Maya

Let's see... people collecting South American stuff and calling it Tiki.

Hmm, how about Thor Heyerdahl?
:)

On 2004-02-19 22:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

How Bout MotorHead!?

The Acid Jazz band Corduroy did a version of 'Motorhead' (Er, by Motorhead) a few years back, so we're halfway there.

Trader Woody

Whats the deal with Dave Grohl hanging out with Lemmy, etc. New band??? Saw a pic somewhere.

T

This passed for Tiki this past Xmas...

I dunno, it is kind of growing on me, whatever it is.

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2004-03-05 18:14 ]

I dunno, it is kind of growing on me, whatever it is.

Dude! That's evil!!! I'm sure it'll bring you major bad luck! Bail, Fast!!!

Pages: 1 24 replies