Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco Tiki Fountain Found

Pages: 1 41 replies

T

Ok. So first off, I have to give a big MAHALO to Dr. Z and Z-Girl for leading me to this and giving me the little push I needed to go for it. Fountain aside, you couldn't ask for better friends!

Dr. Z said he'd been going into this little Hawaiian shop in Torrance for awhile and, his first time, didn't even notice this Witco fountain tucked away in a narrow space near the front door. We went over and looked at it the last couple times I was down at his place and then heard that it was for sale. So, I sold a whole bunch of stuff on ebay to get the money together to buy it- hoping that someone else didn't go for it first.

The owners of the store are really nice folks and have owned the store since 1989. The store has been in that shopping center for 35 years and I was told the previous owners had bought the fountain from the Latitude 20 when it closed (it was right down the street).

Well, I walked in there Saturday and laid my cash down and so Sunday afternoon, with the help of Dr. Z and Z-Girl, we hauled it out of it's niche and back to Z's place. He'll get to enjoy it for awhile until I can get down there with a vehicle big enough to take it home. I think it looks killer in his Castaway Lounge, although it does take up a bit too much space.

It needs a new pump and maybe some varnishing touchups to keep the bowls water-tight, but all in all it's in great shape. So it'll be a working Witco fountain again someday soon! Boy am I thrilled!

Here's a few photos:

Here's where it sat in the store for the last few years

Dr. Z making sure that it's not gonna fall out on the way up PCH

The tiki is bolted onto the base, so we just carried it out in one piece. They had to take the side trim pieces off so that the base would fit in the store space. They screwed them onto the bottom of the base- as you can see. That'll need fixing...

We stopped at the former Latitude 20 site on the way home....now it's a strip mall :(

Dr. Z enjoying a drink in the shadow of a Witco original... all seven feet of it!

Lady Velour looking like Vanna White :)

Wow!
Congratulations, what a wonderful find! You must be tickled to bits! It's so nice to see that this beautiful fountain is going to be enjoyed for the rest of it's life. Way to go :)

I am so so glad you're giving this fountain a loving home! It was so sad to see it stuffed in that little alcove. You have to be sure it gets lots of visitors!

S
SES posted on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 1:09 AM

It looks happy!
Can't wait to see it in the final destination.

Congrats! it's beautiful... does she have a sister?

-Z

congratulations, and thank you for the photos. I dont think i have ever seen a pic of the base. please put up another photo when the fountain is in your place and running.
One day i hope to aquire one myself, for now i stare at the mainlander mug and imagine water flowing out of its mouth.

TikiHula, nice meeting you @ purlple orchid on the 14th, congrats on the fountain! Looks great in the lounge, hope Dr Z. wont have to much trouble parting with it.

L

:cry: I'm jealous. Some day I'll get one too, I hope. How much? If you don't mind sharing.

Holy Moly!

You needed "a push" to get this piece TikiHula? It's very cool. I'd grab it in a second!

Doctor Z, how many more 3 mask mugs do I need to find in exchange for a Witco location referral? :lol:

SERIOUSLY! I would have jumped at that in a second. I'm sure price would have played a big part in my deciding though. That, for me is my holy grail of tiki. Doc, let me know if you see any more of those things floating around town.

By the way, how come you didn't snatch it up for your self?

and, his first time, didn't even notice this Witco fountain tucked away in a narrow space near the front door

HOLY COW! What a find! The sad thing is...is that I've been in that store too and I didn't even know they had that fountain! (I guess maybe this is why I can't find any cool stuff when I'm at garage sales too).
Great score! Enjoy! and thanks for the story and pictures!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 5:22 PM

Beautiful! Nice find! Nice buy! NICE NICE NICE!

(World Cup Voice) SSSSCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRE!

T

Thanks guys for the votes of approval :)

If it wasn't for the tiki mug market on ebay being so hot, I wouldn't have been able to get the money together to buy it. It's definitely going to be the focal point of my tiki room....when I finally get settled, and get some money together for lauhala matting and all.

....and Dr. Z, you can look at it, but no molesting the tiki.... :D

Ever since Doctor Z discovered this Witco fountain last year, he's been hoping he could find a TC member with the cash and the bar space to give it a good home, (I lacked both, unfortunately). The fact that it once belonged to the Lattitude 20 made it even more imperative that we knew where it ended up.

The temptation to post the find to Tiki Central was great, but he was afraid a TC lurker might snatch it up for re-sale and he wanted it to go to a true Tiki Family member. Thus he's been divulging the secret to one friend at a time, planting those seeds of lust that evidently bore fruit in TikiHula, causing him to liquidate a good chunk of his valuable mug collection to acquire it.

Mike, I'm ecstatic that you went ahead and bought this relic. Now I know it will go to a good home. Until then, I think I'll drop by Doctor Z's this weekend and toast Mr Witco in person.

Good job, guys!

Sabu

Nice! Very nice!!! In fact, you have to be the luckiest Tiki-phile on the planet at this moment!!! Congratulations!!!

Matt

Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Ever since Doctor Z discovered this Witco fountain last year, he's been hoping he could find a TC member with the cash and the bar space to give it a good home...

WHAT!? Last year?? Cash? But I've got..but....but...

...Thus he's been divulging the secret to one friend at a time...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?

OK, Ok,....caaaaaaaaalm down. Ok, I'm better....sorta.

Mike, may your fountain bring you peace & joy for years to come.

(if it doesn't, email me :lol: :lol: )

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2004-02-19 13:51 ]

H

Hey SCD -- I'm pretty sure that when Sabu says last year, he means the tail end of 2003. As far as I'm aware, the "one friend at a time" refers to telling Sabu, who couldn't swing it, and then me -- I was living with the guy, after all. I was seriously considering buying this guy, and entered into negotiations with the shop owner. Eventually, I decided to walk away from it. It was just after that point that TikiHula was down to visit for New Year's Eve, and the rest is history. I'm really quite sure it wasn't a personal slight on Dr. Z's part, or a desire to hoard -- he geniunely was torn about finding the fairest way was to tell a few folks about it. No matter where he drew the line, he was gonna piss someone off, unless he told everyone, and risked it going god knows where. Besides, I wouldn't have been very happy if he started telling people about it while I was trying to negotiate for it.

Cash? But I've got..but....but...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?

You have Witco-level Cash? Dang! If the San Francisco Mayor had been just a little quicker with his law-making, I would have taken you and your Caddy for a drive to a little courthouse up North last year, Big Boy!

Yes, SCD, Humuhumu is right. It's only February, so last year wasn't that long ago. Still, I agree - you've been grievously neglected by the same Doctor and Coconut Boy whom to whom you've been nothing but the best and most generous of friends.

Tell you what. You can have first dibs on the Easter Island mosaic mural we found hanging in a small bar in Rosemead. Wait...
Oh Yeah, Polynesian Pop's got that one.

Ok, you can go for the old Bumatay tiki in that condemmed apartment building in Lomita.
No...
We already told Bong about that one...

Ok. The carved mahogany doors to the old Los Angeles Islander that we found in a warehouse in San Pedro, along with all the beachcomber lamps and glass floats.
Um..
No, Baxdog's already got dibs on those.

Uh, the stained glass windows from the Las Vegas Aku Aku?
Oh Yeah - Johnnie Velour.

Aw Hell, SCD. Can I buy you a drink?

Sabu

(P.S. What would I do without Humuhumu's tact and grace in explaining what I really meant when I stick my foot in my mouth?)

T

Wow, that was some interesting reading. Humuhumu put it really well I think. As far as I know he found it not that long ago....and it had to be kept secret from those ebay big spenders that lurk this board and live nearby....you know who you are! :)

SCD, I'm sorry that you weren't told about it sooner... BTW, it was great meeting you at the party Saturday night! When I get down there next let's all get together over at Z's for some drinks!

L
laney posted on Thu, Feb 19, 2004 7:16 PM

Hey, don't forget, I'm pissed off too! And I've got money to burn! :wink: :wink: :wink: Yeah right.

It might make us feel better to know you paid major bones for it. Care to share?

L
laney posted on Thu, Feb 19, 2004 8:43 PM

Maybe I can talk SCD into stealing it for me! Hmmmmmmm, let's have a get together at Dr. Z's....You can TRUST us. BWWWWAH HA HA :lol:

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-02-19 20:44 ]

Oh, and I suppose the Spectacular East Indies Room wasn't up to snuff to be graced with a Witco fountain?

SCD, Laney, lets start the broken hearted Tiki group....!

You guys suck! You could've at least kept them in the blood!(anything Aku Aku Stardust Vegas that I don't have, I'm willing to barter a bunch!)

Remind me not to piss on your legs next time we see each other! F'n dogs!!!

JV??? Need a 4 post Bamboo Bed??? Would be a nice surprise for lady V. You know where to find me.

L

On 2004-02-19 22:03, Traderpup wrote:
Oh, and I suppose the Spectacular East Indies Room wasn't up to snuff to be graced with a Witco fountain?

SCD, Laney, lets start the broken hearted Tiki group....!

O.K. Angry Tiki Mob (SCD, TP, and me) grab a club and a torch (tiki torch that is) first we'll hit Dr. Z's then it's off to loot Bahooka! :x :x :x

DZ

Yikes!

I was going to see if anyone wanted to come over for drinks and check out the fountain this weekend, but it's getting a little hostile in here...

Maybe not such a good idea after all...

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-02-19 23:54 ]

L

Awwwww, you know I'm kidding.
So when should the angry mob, oh, I mean... we, be there?
Say....how heavy is that thing? Like could a couple people move it or would we, uh, I mean... someone, need a dolly? Just curious :wink:

Ha! You know we're kidding....uh, don't you?

Actually, I hope that this hasn't taken away from TikiHula's great buy!

TikiHula, we are happy that a TC'er has provided a home for the fountain!

T

On 2004-02-19 16:54, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

Tell you what. You can have first dibs on the Easter Island mosaic mural we found hanging in a small bar in Rosemead. Wait...

Ok, you can go for the old Bumatay tiki in that condemmed apartment building in Lomita.
No...
We already told Bong about that one...

Ok. The carved mahogany doors to the old Los Angeles Islander that we found in a warehouse in San Pedro, along with all the beachcomber lamps and glass floats.
Um..
No, Baxdog's already got dibs on those.

Wow, now that stuff sound very cool too!! I want to see photos you guys!! ...or maybe see in person next time I'm down...?

...the doors from the LA Islander?? Are you serious?!

SCD and Laney, glad there are no hard feelings- let's get together in a couple weeks when I'm down there.

On 2004-02-19 16:54, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

I still owe you one for that one Sabu! I'll figure something out -- maybe one of the Bumatay tikis they took down from the Royal Tahitian Golf Course in Ontario? Lucky for me, its just the down the street and I chanced upon the dumpsters filled with "a bunch of old tiki crap" on my way home from work. You pick the one you want (I got 8 of them) and we'll call it even?

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-02-22 13:09 ]

I keep thinking about this post. I'm wasn't sure if Sabu was screwing aournd or what. I've come to the conclusion that there is no way this stuff could be true. Why wouldn't he and the Doc be hoarding them for their own collections? These are super super rare items too. Super rare. Alright Sabu, put my mind at ease. Either let me in on the joke, or hook me up with that 'Tikichino' machine from the Tikis.

In reality though, he did hook me up once with an Arthur Lyman "Yellow Bird" LP. That was nice.

Can't be all that rare...look at "Tikifinds" right now. I just found that one yesterday.

No, they are that rare. You just have some kind of "tiki finding voodoo type situation going on." Where did you find that?

Spike, angel-plum, I fear your leg is going to come right out of its socket any second, so hard is the yanking it's enduring.

Besides, I already have the tiki-chino machine (Sabu turned me onto it when I was out there last - said he didn't have room in his kitchen). It sits right under the Leeteg that Bong told me about in the junque shop near him (his garage was already overcrowded, and his wife said "no" to in the house).

It sits on top of the Witco table that used to sit in the Graceland Jungle Room. Swanky turned me onto it - they found it last year in a garage on the premises there in Memphis. Elvis had been fixing a wobbly leg when he needed to use the loo, and well, you know the sad end to that story. Curators decided it didn't really fit in the room now, and sold it in a private auction.

You guys are all jerks.
Screw you guys..... I'm going home.

Formikahini, I have the Moai head valve handles for the Tiki-chino machine... seems they never got around to using them, as they were still in their box. I've been using them as little hammers, but you're welcome to them. I think they're in the box under the case of Ren Clark severed head mugs, way back behind the two Witco fountains sitting in the back yard.

What was this thread about again? :tiki:

Pup, that's enough....

T

On 2004-02-25 01:17, Luckydesigns wrote:
I keep thinking about this post. I'm wasn't sure if Sabu was screwing aournd or what. I've come to the conclusion that there is no way this stuff could be true.

Think he's pulling your leg? ...don't bet on it! :)

...and BK, your nievete shines through like the sun...

Mahalo...and don't forget to visit the huge Tiki Gallery at:
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net
http://www.tikimug.net
http://www.tikimugs.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2004-02-25 21:26 ]

That's why I wasn't sure, Sabu comes up with all kinds of cool stuff all the time. Some of the stuff listed was just outrageous though.

DZ

(Sorry about the last minute post, but I've been at Camp all week with my kids and I'm runnin' a bit behind!)

Tiki Hula will be taking his fabulous Witco fountain back home with him to San Jose this weekend, and if'n anyone wants to check it out before it leaves the South Bay forever, come on by the Castaway Lounge this evening (7-ish) before you head out to the Purple Orchid Anniversary. Naturally, the Good Doctor will be mixin' drinks to compliment your viewing experience. NOTE: You WILL be viewed with suspicion if you arrive with 1). a flatbed truck; 2). big, burly, Mafioso-types; 3). great quantities of cash.

No need to rsvp or bring anything, just come over. We'll head out to the P.O. 'round 9-ish...

Directions: 1303 S. Helberta Avenue, Redondo Beach. From the 405, exit at Hawthorne Blvd. Take Hawthorne south and make a RIGHT on Torrance Blvd. From Torrance Blvd., make a LEFT on Palos Verdes Blvd. After a mile or so, make a LEFT at the first stop sign after Prospect; which is Helberta. The Castaway Lounge is in the second house on the right, with the torch burning in the front yard.

Damn that thing looks great.I am glad you scored it after much work on ebay, it is always sweeter when you have to bust-ass to get something as opposed to handing over the plastic when things get drastic!.Hey Z, nice digs!.TWT

T

I agree. And the fountain is home safe and sound! I've got a new pump on the way, and will shoot some photos after it's flowin' and I spruce up the room a little.

Pages: 1 41 replies