Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents TIKI TAIX

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

King Kukulele Presents TIKI TAIX !
Come see the enchanted puu puu platter of liveTiki variety.

King Kukulele has found a home at Echo Parks Taix French restaurant, but for tonight they've given us the keys, the place is ours and we're changing the name to TIKI TAIX (Just say "Tiki Tex")

Friday February 27th, 10PM. No Cover

The evening starts off with a rare opportunity to see Sven Kirsten, author of "The Book Of Tiki" presenting some of his more obscure slides.

AND!

"The Mai Kai Gents featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa" bring you the songs and dance of the Islands.

ALSO!

A live sattelite feed from the TIKI TI !!!

AND!

King Kukulele will perform at some point in the evening!

ALSO!

A video tour of one of the Southlands more spectacular Tiki Home Bars!!!

AND!

Rare Exotica Music videos of the 60's!

PLUS!

Arrangements are being made to have Crazy Al flown back to the west coast from New York where he has been since ValenTikiTines day establishing himself as a Bi-Coastal entertainer.

Join us for this one night only night one time. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

Sounds cool King Kuku-lay-lay!

The King was kine' enough to ask the Smokin' Menehunes to play one month and we're definately checking our busy gig schedule (well, we got a gig at Dealin' Delroy's used car lot)to see when we can do it.

All you TC'rs should plan to see Sven's Slides and the Mai Kai Gents with ever enchanting Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa on Feb 27th.

We have the opportunity to bring Tiki to the forefront in French Cuisine - don't f*$# it up!

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-02-18 10:50 ]

Hey Bong,
Maybe we could get Delroy and the Dealers to open up for "The Smokin' Menehunes" WHAT A LINEUP!!

Im in.

Looking forward to seeing everyone

S

Da King!

Welcome to the 21st century, man!

Sounds like a good time and I think we might just make this one. No conflicts yet.

Good to hear from you and hope to see you soon.

P.S. I'm not on Verizon! :wink:

H

Man! I feel crappy for complaining, because for so long I lamented my fate, being way out in a remote outpost where get-togethers were rare, rare, rare -- but what a bummer this is happening the same night that KailuaGeoff is hitting Huntington Beach!

That said -- I'm in! I've got a couple of girlfriends who are getting into town that afternoon, so we'll form a small posse of terror. It'll be better & safer for the good people of Huntington Beach if we stick closer to home base.

My girlfriends, Erin & Monica:

KailuaGeoff -- I hope that at least we'll be able to catch each other when you're in the area on Thursday. And Tiki Royale -- do you know yet if you'll have time while you're down here to visit?

We're in...see you all there
Ran

Well, this is turning into quite the little grass shack shaker! We can't wait for King Kukulele's Tiki Taix evenings to get rolling and this ought to be a knock 'em dead debut! See you on the 27th!

-Iuka Grogg and The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

You know, I don't usually beg (much), but if you're available for this gig on the 27th, you should really plan on going.

Now this was going to be a suprise, but Baxdog is going to be there and promises to give everyone 'pleasure' (?) if they show up in drag.

Allright, there you have it! Mark you calendars for this Friday night and get you (how do you say 'asses' in French) moi le roin (I made that up) there and watch Sven's slide show and listen to the Mai Kai Gent's w/ TMMML.

Who is up for dinner or other socialization beforehand? I will be traveling up to that area from San Diego County in the morning/afternoon. I will be lazing about until the event. Any suggestions on sights to see?

Any takers? Heres' my cell.

Derek
760-458-3687

Aloha Kanes and Wahinis!! Fridays nights Tiki Taix is shaping up exotically! Our surprise home Tiki Tour has just been shot-- Who could it be??? More surprises have just been added, and for those of you who haven't been up Echo Park way, here are some simple directions.

1. Get to Downtown LA

2. Go North on the 101

3. Take the Glendale Blvd. / Echo Park Exit.

4. Through that light you will see the lagoon on your left. Follow the lagoon around till you get to a light.

5. Go through that light and it will lead you right into the Tiki Taix parking lot at 1911 Sunset Blvd.

Mahalo!

King Kukulele

PS Humuhumu, you are a master of marketing.

On 2004-02-23 19:58, Monkeyman wrote:
I will be traveling up to that area from San Diego County in the morning/afternoon.

Any takers? Heres' my cell.

Derek
760-458-3687

Maybe you can coordinate with Kick the Reverb, who also hails from America's Finest City.

Crap! We won't be able to supprise you's this time. Dang it!!! Opening day for T-ball (for my youngest) and up to the Majors, is "All Day"(sunrise to sunset) on the 28th. Must rest up all week to "handle this day!" Have fun and post lots o pics!!
(a little tiki will invade the ball park. Bamboo Ben is now a Sponsor. Times are a changing. No longer is "Earl the Plummer" just a sponsor!) I'm gonna take a stab at one of the supprise guests. I'm thinking he plays with his nuts. Am I right?

Before this came up I was thinking Sam's Seafood, but this sounds too good to pass up.
If I can lean on Bong for guidance, I'll be there after visiting OA in the afternoon. Also, dinner before hand sounds good. I wanted to go to Bahooka, but have no idea whether that works. LA is so confusing...
KG

H

Glad to hear it, Geoff! Bahooka for dinner should work well -- it's not too far from OA, and it's on the way between there and Taix. Still, allow about 45 min. for travel between there and Taix.

On 2004-02-23 20:04, KING KUKULELE wrote:

1. Through that light you will see the lagoon on your left. Follow the lagoon around till you get to a light.

The "lagoon" in question is Echo Park lake. The "light" you should turn left at is Sunset Boulevard.

When you exit the freeway at Glendale Boulevard, there is a light and you will see the lagoon on your left, but hold yer fire! Do NOT turn left there, even though you have the lovely lagoon in sight. Proceed (it's maybe 1/3 or a 1/2 of a mile) until you reach Sunset, then make your left.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-02-24 16:16 ]

but hold yer fire! -Floratina writes...

Ouch!!! My hand is burnt!

If that still leaves one free, you can steer...

HEY GANG!! Don't you all think we ought to show our guest some Southern hospitality...I mean Southern Californian hospitality?? It seems appropriate to invite our guest Kailuageoff to get into the act. So I'm going to add a new feature to our Tiki Taix Show. Each month we will welcome the guest who has travelled the farthest up on stage for a number or a story or a joke... or we'll all dog pile on him... or we'll let mud wrestle the guest of his choice...anyways I'm buying you a Mai Tai!

On 2004-02-23 21:06, Kailuageoff wrote:
Also, dinner before hand sounds good. I wanted to go to Bahooka, but have no idea whether that works. LA is so confusing...
KG

KG, I'll join you for dinner (and drinks) at the Bahooka if you're interested. I'll send you my celphone # so we can coordinate. Anybody else wanna join?

Lets start a roll call for dinner so we can get a reservation going.

Mahalo PolyPop,
I just sent you a PM. Bong has adopted me for this trip, sort of, so I'm trusting him, sort of. I am very much into meeting at Bahooka before the King's show and e-mailed him about it.

Since things have changed around, I'm planning on going to Sam's on Thursday night. If Humuhumu or anyone else wants to do that let me know.

Thanks for the dubious honor, King Kukulele, but I'll pass on the mud wrestling. Flounder whipped my a** in that category last weekend, and I'm still embarassed by it.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-02-24 10:12 ]

Cool Deal KG. You're in good hands with Bong... (did I just say that?)...

I'll touch base with you guys on Friday morning. Maybe I can slide outta work early that day...

Bong, keep your celfone on.

So, are you going to Taix also, Pop?

yup.

Bong- ass in French= derriere (nice) or que (pronounced like the letter Q, not so nice).
I'll be going but I am bringing some friends. I've never been to Taix. Does anyone know what the seating for the stage area is like? Will an Echo Park King Kukulele venue become the next Cincinati Who Concert? Only time will tell. Unless someone tells me, that is. See you all there.

[ Edited by: tikifille on 2004-02-24 18:19 ]

On 2004-02-24 18:18, tikifille wrote:
Does anyone know what the seating for the stage area is like?

Hiya, Tikifille! Glad to hear you'll be there! The seating in the entertainment(?) area is at small round tables and booths and is first come, first seated. Anyone who needs to sit, should probably come early, get a table, enjoy dinner and a glass or two of something. We're working on some special shtick for the evening. Also, a fun game may be to try to guess who'll be playing bass with us on Friday. Go to our website and click on "Bio" to see the possible candidates. This is gonna be so fun!

-Iuka Grogg

Camp out! Camp out!

Thanks for the help. We'll be there early. If the party gets festive enough, perhaps we can "liberate" the paddle boats in the lagoon for a midnight tour of the lake. Tikis, music, beverages, and boating! Fun, Fun,Fun!

CRAZY AL IS ON THE BILL!!!!
I asked if he could bring his bangable coconuts and bang on them...he mumbled something about Borneo.
He is coming and he is going to help round out the bill. We're going to open up the floor for a Q&A. Al will answer ANY questions.

On 2004-02-25 07:43, tikifille wrote:
If the party gets festive enough, perhaps we can "liberate" the paddle boats in the lagoon for a midnight tour of the lake. Tikis, music, beverages, and boating!

Don't forget the tiki torches to illuminate the event. (Hope the rain has passed).

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-02-25 19:43 ]

hey guys,
I'm thinkng I may have time fer Bahooka before hand myself. in any case I was planning on hitting echo park for da king. so if you don't mind a relitive stranger jumping on board drop a line here and I'll climb on the tiki train.

thats no uke, thats a fluke,

K
k'eli posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2004 6:23 PM

I am new to the TC website

Wow - the events go on and on - I am attempting to drive up from Laguna for this event at Taix - can anyone give me directions from Laguna Beach? Will there be tikis and the usual "Hawaiian" decor? Is this outdoors?

Looking for the "Mai Tais"

k'eli wrote:
...can anyone give me directions from Laguna Beach? Will there be tikis and the usual "Hawaiian" decor? Is this outdoors?...

Aloha k'eli!

Click this link for directions from Laguna (at the 133).

This restaurant is actually a French restaurant converted to Hawaiian for this evening. As for actual Hawaiian decor, I have no idea, but there will be plenty of aloha wear floating around the place to make up for any loss. I'd bet you'd find a tiki or three or four on this night.

The event is indoors!

I'm coming from Huntington Beach myself and hope to see you there!

Hey, Bwana -

Glad to see that you will be there! I was going to email you to suggest that you attend, but you didn't have an address listed.

K'eli, check your TC personal messages.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-02-27 06:37 ]

THE FRIKI TIKIS ARE COMING THE FRIKI TIKIS ARE COMING!!

Sorry bout the lack of email address, had my profile settings jacked up. I'm feeling better now so you can email at will. see ya all at the show.

I'm a king kong man, I'm a voodoo man,

Rumor is that if the crowd is revved up and wild enought tonight that there will be ribald orgeat gaming! Viva Tiki Taix!

The FRIKI TIKIS will be there to back up the King? Hallelujah! I'd like to request "Hanohano Hanalei", in advance, please.

That's F*cked up, Y'all!

How'd it go last night?

Holy mackerelelel,
Well its noon and I finaly made it home. what a riot, gotta hand it to kukulele that was one hellava good time alrighty. and a regular gig ta boot. Mai kai's got hula hands running thru the skull and I can't shut it off. grabed ma uke and continued the party at a friends place around the corner, Uke Uke Uke, woke up in a mess of paper umbrellas, and lotta livin matchbooks, (where is this place?)never made it to the docks, missed the boat, crawled back home with squinty eyes. Ahhh life IS good. Must repeat process! much tiki fun. Tiki "tex" yeeeeeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwwwww

the only time that I feel at ease
is swinging up and down in the coconut trees,

Had a great time. This evening was non stop entertainment, and I got to meet even more friendly Tiki Centralites. Sven had some great slides (too bad some non-TC people were disturbing him), he was presented with a tiki carved by Dawn that replicates the one on the BOT, plus artwork by poly-pop. Luka Grogg and the Mai Kai Gents (featuring the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa), the King + Tiki Friks + Crazy Al + Shelly were all providing great entertainment. The "live satelite feed" was hilarious. Great performance!
We'll be going next month, and I reccomend it to everyone.
It's also pretty affordable (no cover charge, drinks are pretty cheap, and we sleep in the car on the way home, so that's free...)

Now - where are the pics?

Ran

What an evening! King Kukulele and his support outdid themselves to provide a full evening of class A entertainment. This was like a whole variety show! I am oh so more sorry now that I will not be at the Oasis.

The King did some great new numbers, the battle of the drums between Cracy Al and the Friki Tiki drummer was a killer. Luka Grogg of the Mai Kai Gents crooned like it was 1950, doing his thing straight, without any irony, simply wonderful!
The videos were hilarious, great concepts.

And the surprise they had in store for me was totally unexpected! (well, that's what a surprise is supposed to be):
Dawn aka Tikifille had secretly contacted Moritz R and gotten the full rendering of The Book of Tiki half face cover Tiki, to carve an exact copy of it, and now I have the real BOT Tiki greeting the visitors on my porch. Mahalo Dawn, what an amazing gift.

AND the Mai Tais at Taix were EXCELLENT! I will definitely be back at MAI TAIX next month.

IG

WOW! What a great time that was! The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa had a blast! Thanks for the compliments, Kick, Bigbro, and (I think) Bwana(hope you can get that tune out of your head!). This was truly a special evening that King Kukulele put together. Not just music, but comedy sketches and tiki education as well. A whole variety show! Sven's slides were superb as always and it sure was a hoot touring Al & Shelly's Lagoon Room. Tikifille's tiki? AMAZING!! Thanks to all of you who helped pack the house to capacity and for hooting and hollering at all the right times! Sure would be great to see some photos! Ya got any? I can't wait til next month. Mahalo.

-Iuka Grogg (often confused with my cousin Luka)

Sorry, don't know why that "l" stuck in my head instead of the correct "I"...
I always wonder, though, why whenever I see the Mai Kai Gents performing, your Weird Uncle is never around.

Ran

MAHAAAALLLLLLOOOOO!!!!
Thank you to everyone for coming out to the very first Tiki Taix Luau for YOU! It was a great turnout and I really hope you all took home some memories to...remember. Thank you to Sven, Iuka and Rod Grogg, all the Mai Kai Gents, all of Miss Mauna Loa, Al and Shelley, Dave and Rebecca and The Purple Orchid, and last but not least, thanks to the Friki Tikis for coming out to the Tiki Taix kickoff.
Next up: Tiki Taix II -- Mark your calenders, Friday March 26. Stay tuned for an announcement of the bill. We hope to work it out so Iuka Grogg AND Rod Grogg can come out to Tiki Taix next time.
Mahalo Again!
King Kukulele

King,
It was grand. Mahalo and congratulations on organizing such a fine evening for everyone.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=7719&forum=1&start=0

KG

H

Don't mess with Tiki Taix! Who knew there was a place in this crazy world for tiki cabaret? In particular, the live satellite feed to the Purple Orchid was a hoot -- I'd love to see that again when I can hear it better. I'm bummed I'm going to miss next month's Tiki Taix; I'll be in Orlando. Especially if the Smokin' Menehunes do end up on the bill.

Mahalos to all especially for making my out-of-town guests feel so at home. They had a great time! (I suppose that was pretty obvious... ahem. Hanging out with those girls is like living in a Trader Vic's menu cover. I miss them already.)

Here's a selection of pics:

My girlfriends, Erin & Monica

TraderPup, in an especially snazzy (zazzy?) suit.

Polynesian Pop -- that looks like a Heineken shirt, but it says "Hawaiian"... close one, Pop!

SugarCaddyDaddy, looking coy

The kick_the_reverbs, with a side of Al

KailuaGeoff & Sven, and you can barely make out Dave (Wersmo Derinc) & Rebecca in the back

An appropriately off-kilter and adorable pic of Shell in the Pacific

MonkeyMan gives his best goofy smile...

...and Atomic Cocktail gives his

Alright folks, this is why I can't be trusted to take pictures at these events -- I always get terrible pics of the best parts! This is Sven overjoyed at his gift from TikiFille

The Mai Kai Gents get started, and you can see Sven's new tiki in the background

The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa takes the stage

My friends Erin & Monica are joined by Futura Girl

I ran into this friend of a friend from Seattle (no tiki connection) at Tiki Taix! Go figure

Iuka Grogg makes the rounds -- either that or I stumbled up on stage and I don't remember it.

King Kukulele & Iuka Grogg go serenading

Crazy Al looking, well, crazy

And of course, there are even more pictures here.

Pages: 1 2 58 replies