Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's Kava Bowl

Pages: 1 26 replies

Hi,

I thought we'd never be able to make these! They either didn't make sense costwise or I couldn't produce a quantity my factory could live with. Well, they're here. I'm only selling them online as they're too expensive to sell to our retailers.

Some of you have tried to pre-book and we've been reluctant to give any info as it changed more or less weekly. Well, it's here. It's not on our website yet. I'm posting up availability here first on TC and then later this week through our opt-in email list. I've got 27 in stock and can only produce around 30-40 per month.

Item Nr: BA519
Price: $32.95 (ltd availability item; sorry no TC discount)

Comments: 7 5/8" in height and holds 54 oz. AND each piece is clearly marked with a 2003 Trader Vic's by Tiki Farm copyright on the base.

To order, call the Farm at (800) 357-3360.

Also, a big thanks to Mike Remmel for lending me his original so that we could do this piece justice!

Mahaloz!

Holden Westland
Tiki Farm
"Purveyors of Polynesian Pop Culture"
http://www.tikifarm.com

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2004-02-23 23:12 ]

A

I have received one of these fantastic bowls and I love it! Holden you have outdone yourself, this is just a terrific piece of Polynesian Pop at a great price. The quality is great and I recommend this piece to any mug collector. Good job Holden.
Mahalo,
Al

O

Holden, we want one. How do we get it?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

KaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvvAAAAAAAAAA

Boooowwwwwwwwlllllllll!!!!

(think Homer Simpson)

Dude! I'm not saying this cause I know you but that kicks some serious ass!!! Keep up the good work. See you next month. (due to our very full work schedules, providing the world with tiki (and Bamboo), we only get to hang out maybe once a month. Now on the other hand, can anyone tell me how I can get rid of Crazy Al!!! Just joking! Arrrrrrrrr! Life would not be the same without knowing C'Al! He keeps me sane!!! Bamboo bondage anyone??)

This is the one I've been waiting for - how do we go about getting them ASAP???

Here's TEPCO's prototype for reference.

T

Holden-

Would it be possible to post some more pictures that show the detail better? The picture you posted seems washed out in relation to the picture of the original that Bong posted. I can't tell if the people have faces or the proper anatomy, if you know what I mean :wink:

On 2004-02-24 13:13, thejab wrote:
I can't tell if the people have faces or the proper anatomy, if you know what I mean.

No I'm sorry I don't, I prefer more detail. :)

On 2004-02-24 14:16, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2004-02-24 13:13, thejab wrote:
I can't tell if the people have faces or the proper anatomy, if you know what I mean.

No I'm sorry I don't, I prefer more detail. :)

wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

T

Great job on the Kava Bowls Holden! I'm glad that you will be able to sell them at such a reasonable price too! Everybody has got to get one of these! They're perfect for a tiki party 'cause they hold a LOT of drink! ...oh, I was supposed to share this drink?? :D

And the detail is very good on the faces/bodies of Vic and his wahines. Better than on my original Tepco production bowl. The colors are a bit more subdued than Bongs prototype, as you can see in the photos. I'll post some closeup pics tonight so you can compare. Again, really well done TF!

M

I'm a-gettin' me one of these gems! These are going to be great to COLLECT. Yep, I sure do enjoy COLLECTING TIKI!

(moved)

Hi,
My camera is out of whack and my friend's only shoots 72 dpi and it's a tough piece to capture...I tried a lot of different angles. The painting style is intentionally washed as per the guidance of Peter Seely (Vic's grandson) to capture the style of the bowl in the 50's (there are different variations out there - but just a few). I contemplated putting the piece here under collecting tiki but opted for the main discussion area. I felt it to be more of a Hawaiiana piece then tiki as, well, there's no tikis on it... I also thought about creating tiki and then realized, it's a re-creation. Happy to have it here for everybody to see even if it's in a test subject or waddevah! Thanks for the good words... 54 oz... man, I can't wait to share a cocktail with my wahine - but it'll have to wait to the weekend as it's...umm... kinda giant!!

Holden Westland
Tiki Farm
"Purveyors of Polynesian Pop Culture"
http://www.tikifarm.com

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2004-02-24 19:04 ]

T

Three closeup photos for ya'all. Nice work!

O

Yahoo!!! Our's arrived today. Thanks Holden!! Great job. Can't wait to fill it up and drink it down.
:drink:

Thanks for the detail pics tiki hula. Looks beautiful, I just put in my order! I'm getting thirsty...
Aloha,
:tiki:

T

Anyone wanna take bets on who's the first to sell one on ebay? :)
And it won't be me...

M

Thanks to everyone for posting the pictures of the original & the 2003 version. Looks awsome. Soon as I read this discussion I went over to TF and bought one for myself. Thanks Holden for keeping the Aloha spirit alive.

MachTiki

I just got home and found my new Kava Bowl waiting for me... WOW!
It's Beee-you-teee-fuuul! And much larger than I expected.
Holden, you've really raised the bar with this piece.
Mahalo Nui Loa!

I agree totally, Tiki Royale! I got home today and found mine on the front porch in a WATERPROOF PACKAGE!!! WOW!!! Okay... It was a box in a Plastic Bag, but Who Does That!?!

It's LOVELY! My wife, ever the forward thinker, asked immediately "What do we get to drink out of that?" I showed her the recipe and she helped me to decide to wait until Friday Night. Expect glowing reports on how well the new Bowls handle the classic cocktail on Saturday. Okay. Sunday, maybe.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-03-02 23:59 ]

M

Ordered mine on Saturday, It was waiting for me on my door step on Tuesday! I love it.

My wife watched me open the box and as soon as I held it up she said, "thanks for my new mug" and ran off with it. It is proudly displayed in our living room like the fine piece of art it is. That is, it's diaplayed until Sunday when it takes it's maiden voyage. Can't wait.

MachTiki

Tratior Vic, your post got me thinking... What is the proper drink for the Kava Bowl?
I don't know that Trader Vic's served traditional polynesian Kava, so what's everyone drinking now?
What's the recipe you referred to Vic?
Aloha,

T

On 2004-02-26 17:39, TikiHula wrote:
Anyone wanna take bets on who's the first to sell one on ebay? :)
And it won't be me...

And Astro-lounge is the first!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3902355475&category=35801

Alooooooha!

Ok, so you see what the Kava Bowl looks like and maybe you forgot about the fact that we were making these, or just thought you would have to wait too long to get one. Well, let me tell you that I do have a shipment of these in and I have reserved some for fellow TC'ers.

Retail price: $XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Mahalo!

Oh, and here is a picture of the Kava Bowl since our website is yet to be updated. (No the "Click Here" doesn't work, it's just to show the picture.)

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy 2005-11-29 00:38 ]

Hey SCD!
How's the new job treatin ya?

I called yesterday and placed my order - thanks SCD! I've always wanted an original but the reproduction will do me just fine!

W

I too called yesterday and placed my order for a Kava Bowl...and about 8 other items. Thanks again!

T

From the Vic's Bartender's Guide, the Kava Bowl recipe is:

2 oz. Unsweetened pineapple juice
4 oz. Lemon juice
1 oz. Grenadine
1 oz. Orgeat syrup
1 oz. Siegert's Bouquet rum
6 oz. Light Puerto Rican rum
3 scoops shaved ice
1 fresh gardenia

Blend all ingredients execpt gardenia in electric drink blender. Pour into large scorpion bowl. Decorate with gardenia. Serve with long straws.

Pages: 1 26 replies