Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Guitarist Danny Gatton (?)

Pages: 1 4 replies

I just heard Danny Gatton's "Quiet Village" on the radio. I did a search here and only came up with:

Tweedtone:
"The late, great Danny Gatton did an awesome version of QV on his 88 Elmira Street album and there's a great note-for-note transcription book of the whole album available."

Can anyone share anything else about this guy? Enlighten me.

-Z

Danny Gatton was kind of a rockabilly/roots country guitar player who took his own life back in the 90's. He was a great guitar player and many were shocked by his untimely demise.

Matt

A truly gifted guitarist who I was fortunate to work monitors for at a show here in Hamilton, he opened for the Kentucky Headhunters. A truly abysmal one-shot wonder band. However, all of Danny's set, one of the Headhunters' guitarists stood beside me watching him play, with a grin on his face, I was too. Said he watched him every night on the tour. Danny Gatton was a guitarist's guitarist and is deeply missed.

I

Danny was a local music legend here in the DC area, and many here were shocked when he commited suicide nearly 10 years ago.

Here is a link that reprints (in an unfortunate format) his obituary from the Washington Post.
http://www.harpamps.com/micKguitars/Gatton-article.html

and here is a link providing more info on him, including some pictures of his hot rod cars.
http://www.dannygatton.com/main.html

Vern

He is one of the most respected guitarists among telecaster players. His trademark playing style merged jazz and rockabilly, (his album "Redneck Jazz" illustrates his style well). He did an episode of Austin City Limits once (and tape it if you ever see it again, because it's rarely shown anymore, if ever) where he plays impeccable slide guitar with a foaming beer bottle. He even throws a towel over the bottle and continues playing flawlessly.

Pages: 1 4 replies