Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Dark Side of the Rainbow

Pages: 1 6 replies

Has anyone synced Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon with The Wizard of Oz? When the lion on the MGM logo roars its 3rd roar you hit play on your cd player than mute the sound on the movie.

It's intense and freakily uncanny the way the music and lyrics synchronize with the movie. A few examples:

The cash register sounds in Money start just as the movie goes from B&W to color.

The lyrics, "don't give me that do-goody good bullshit" - You see the Good Witch appear for the first time in her bubble.

The song "Brain Damage" starts up just as the Scarecrow begins to sing "If I Only Had a Brain".

The heartbeat in "Eclipse" starts up as Dorothy pounds on the Tinman's chest and puts her ear up to it as if she were hearing the heartbeat.

The tornado scene is incredible.

I found out yesterday that if when the CD ends you can hit replay and the synchs will continue, then again for a third time, so I plan to watch it again tonight.

A bar here in Monterey use to have a "Dark Side Of The Rainbow" party every year. First one was cool, then it got boring, and then it ended. There are a lot of cool "coincidences".
Here is a website where you can buy the DVD, so you don't have to try to sync your CD or LP to the movie, and pay more attention to your attitude adjustment product of choice.

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/dsotr.htm

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-02-27 11:37 ]

T

Speaking of mind altering substances and movies, I have pretty much determined that the seed of tiki must have been planted in my mind after watching "Fear and Loathing in Las VEgas" when it first came out (with Johnny Depp, not Bill Murray).

I was never sure what first turned me onto tiki, but after much recollecting and memory searching, I think it must have been after watching the bahooka scene in this movie. I must rent it again and see.

Small world, my sister co-produced that movie. Cool movie.

I know that in Wichita there have actually been very publicized public showings of the Oz/Floyd combo, which always surprised me since I figured MGM would have a legal problem with it...protecting the family reputation of the movie and all that.

Wow, I have heard about this before and always thought it was some trippy stoner parlor trick. But after browsing the website Unga mentioned, my curioisty was aroused. Last night we went out and rented the video and popped in the Floyd CD. Yeah its a trippy stoner parlor trick, but its a good one. I was blown away at how many coincidences there are and how well the tempo of the music lines up with the pace of the movie.

Anybody else see hanging munchkin? More info here:

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/hanged_man.htm

Still trippin boo,
Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-02-29 11:47 ]

I bought a copy of DSR (dark side of the rainbow) off of eBay a few years back, it's synched up to the online instructions. When watching it, you have to carefully listen, somethings they mention in song cooresponds with the action on the screen or in a metaphysical/metaphorical way. It's all how you precieve it. I enjoyed it, but that's coming from a long time Floyd fan who knows just about everything about them.

Pages: 1 6 replies