Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Jews? Hawaiian Purim Luau Sun Mar 7

Pages: 1 12 replies

D
DJLee posted on Sun, Feb 29, 2004 6:31 PM

Hi

Chabad Burbank is having a "Hawaiian Purim Luau" on Sunday March 7, 4:30 PM. This Chabad, like most, is non-member oriented and pretty cool. I go once in a while and insted of saying "where have you been" they say "good to see you!" The Rabbi, known as Shmooly is a young, skinny, smart and funny guy who could probably drink all of you under the table! When my ex and I used to go for Shabbat every so often we'd walk out of there so drunk we would have to take every side street in Burbank to avoid cops...ok getting back to the subject at hand, anyone interested in going to this? It says here on the postcard/invite "Eat a full buffet dinner of Hawaiian delicacies...Enjoy lots of Hawaiian activities and entertainment, Play the Limbo as never played before...Sing and dance to live Jewish rock performed by The Bittles, Masquerade in Hawaiian or any attire, Mullti Media Megilla reading and slide show...fun for the whole family! It's $15.00 for adults and $10.00 for kids under 10. It may be corny but who cares when plastered! Maybe a crawl up to The Castaways later for more drinks and a view of the city?

If interested, contact me: [email protected] and I'll give you the rest of the details.

Glad to see there's some other members of the original tribe on TC. Too bad I'm all the way out in New York... I'd love to go to a Purim Luau!!

--tikidrummer
http://www.fishermansburlesque.com

Hey DJLee and tikidrummer, didn't know you were fellow MOTs.
I have a question, though, since it's Chabbad, wouldn't the men and women be seperated?
Ran

Hawaiian Purim? Oy Vey!

Actually, this sounds intriguing, but I won't be in LA until the following day.

Oh, and happy Purim to the other M'sOTT :)

S

Love Purim. As the Talmud says: "drink until you don't know the difference between 'Cursed be Haman and Blessed be Mordacai.'"

Kick...Hukilau?

OK, I gotta ask: What'll they serve instead of Kalua Pig?

D
DJLee posted on Mon, Mar 1, 2004 6:58 PM

Hi

I was hoping for a few MOTs here! Anyway being Chabad is run by Hasidim (sp?)they seperate men & women in services and when dancing (yipes) but not for eating, drinking,partying, socializing, etc.

OK take care, stay dry, stay warm, etc....

Lee

[ Edited by: DJLee on 2004-03-01 19:14 ]

Dear DJLee,
I feel it would only be right for me to come this one of a kind luau...only I will be at a Muslim Rockabilly Rave Weekender...I had to choose between that and an all Buddhist Mariachi competition. Actually none of thats true, except the Rockabilly part.
King Kukulele

D
DJLee posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2004 1:10 PM

Dear King KuKu....

Heard you were playing a stand-up Uke at the Rockabilly Rave with the TikiKats

LeeJD

[ Edited by: DJLee on 2004-03-02 13:14 ]

MC

TDrummer,
Shalolm Aloha, my boyfriend, is dying for some tiki Purim festivities. How about we drink at Otto's until we can't remember who's Steve and who's Haman? I can get the noise-makers.
Hey, what night is the actual Purim celebration?
MC

Manic,

Purim actually happens at sundown on Saturday March 6th. I would strongly recommend that you join us at Otto's after sundown on Monday March 8th to welcome The Big Fish back from his vacation in Mexico. We'll get slobbering drunk and play pin the tail on the bartender; or how about pin the bar tab on Steve... Fun for the whole family!! See you down there...

--tikidrummer
http://www.fishermansburlesque.com

MC

Sounds festive to me!
Macademian Nut/ Coconut Hamantaschen for the entire gang!

Pages: 1 12 replies