Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bill Murray shoulda got it....

Pages: 1 18 replies

And the 'Best Actor After the Fact Award' goes to..... Sean Pean for 'Mystic River'.

Sean should have gotten it for 'Dead Man Walking' years ago. So I 'm gonna open my mouth here before even seeing 'Lost in Translation' or 'Mystic River' and say that based on what I've seen and heard about both movies I'll say that Bill shoulda got the Oscar®. He looked pretty hurt on the Oscar® telecast too. But Bill, if you are a Tiki Centralite, and I know you probably are, and your reading this, I love you, man. I've been a huge fan of yours since I was a kid watching you in the original SNL cast. And as soon as I see 'Lost In Translation' I'll see how ass-kicking you are and that you should have gotten the Oscar®. "Star Wars...those crazy Star Wars, and if they should barr wars please let these Star Wars.......staaaaay"

G'nite everybody. 2004 AMPAS®

Oh yeah one more thing. When I do see 'Mystic River' and 'Lost in Translation' and Sean Penn is actually the better man, then I'll....I'll....drink 20 Mai Tais....in a row!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. "

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-29 23:35 ]

Bill Murray was robbed tonight. He's shown his range and staying power in more than 25 years of films. It was already becoming clear how deserving he was of recognition of that range when "Rushmore" came out. Now with the subtleties demonstrated in his latest performance, it was well overdue.

Now let's see Sean Penn do a comedy that doesn't involve talking like a surfer dude.

On another Oscar note, I loved the fact that Blake Edwards thanked the guy who scooped up the elephant's poop on "The Party". That man is a genius.

PK

ROBBED!

Has Sean Penn made another comedy? After Fast Times it was Falcon and the Snow Man and a series of serious movies filled with his cries and yelps and whines. The type of "tug at your heartstrings" characters he takes on are a cheap and easy shot for Oscar accolades.

Bill Murray gave me U$400.00 tip for a cup of cocoa.

Spicoli, where's my beaucoup dolares? you jack-ass.

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2004-03-01 07:18 ]

On 2004-03-01 04:42, Primo Kimo wrote:
Has Sean Penn made another comedy?

Sweet and Low Down.

But good to see tiki connections in two of the oscars awarded.
Best animation: Finding Nemo (the totaly tiki aquarium)
ifetime Achievement Award: Blake Edwards (director of "Shot in the Dark" - tiki bar scene)

J
JTD posted on Mon, Mar 1, 2004 3:08 PM

On 2004-02-29 22:25, donhonyc wrote:
Oh yeah one more thing. When I do see 'Mystic River' and 'Lost in Translation' and Sean Penn is actually the better man, then I'll....I'll....drink 20 Mai Tais....in a row!

Sounds like a bet you'd enjoy losing!

first of all, I LOVE it when people preface their commentary with 'I haven't actually seen either movie, but I'm going to offer my opinion on them....' :wink: yeesh.
I think Bill deserved it for Groundhog Day and even more so for Rushmore. Sean Penn is a great actor, and I think he was being honored for the body of work that has gone un-awarded. It's a shame, he was pretty great in Mystic River, but I think Bill Murray was amazing in Lost in Translation. Johnny Depp was also great in Pirates. I actually think this year was a pretty good year for nominees, meaning there were no obvious 'what the ???' (except for Renee Zellweger, I am so sick of her...oh yeah, Jude Law, the whole Cold Mountain thing was a headscratcher, but those Weinstein's know how to shove a film down the academy's throat...)
As for the whole show, Mr. Pineapple and I invented a new drinking game!
Every time the Short Subject Documentary winner's mom removes her glasses, because she realizes the cameras have panned to her, you must drink.
Every time a Key Grip is thanked by name by a winner, you must drink.
Here's where it gets good...
Every time LOTR wins something, you must drink
Every time they make a comment regarding race and they pan to an actor of color, you must drink.
Every time a political comment is made and they pan to Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon or Sean Penn, you must drink.
Every time someone mentions or show Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman, and they pan to Nicole Kidman or Tom Cruise, you must drink.
Every time a Kiwi is thanked, you must drink
Every time Billy Crystal makes a joke about Kiwis being thanked, you must drink.
Every time they make a family business reference and show the Coppola's you must drink.

Sounds good huh?

D

Hey Mrs. Pineapple,

Seems like you guys musta got fairly drunk when you were watching the Oscars®. It is so predictable, with for example the comments on race/pan to person of color, etc. As if we at home didn't know what the hell they were talking about. And yeah, enough with Renee Zellwegger already. What the HELL is so fascinating about her? She is in my opinion, totally unattractive and not that great of an actress. Maybe she is an 'attractress' as they say on 'Will & Grace' Or as my girlfriend likes to point out, her face always looks like 'she's taking a poop'. If you ask me she looks like the blonde version of Lily Tomlin's 'Ernestine' character from Laugh-In days. "One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy, I'd like to thank the Academy®".

YAWN....see you next year at the Oscars®

p.s. I liked it better last year when Steve Martin hosted the Oscars®. A great line from him on that show was when Jennifer Lopez exited the stage, and he said "Yes Ladies & Gentlemen, that was Jennifer Lopez. Or as the kids call her today 'J-Pez'".

FUNNY!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-03-01 21:06 ]

Bill Murray is rad. Ghostbusters is all time.

I'm still pissed the academy dismissed The Three Amigos so easily years ago.

Good night Ned

D

I never understood why critics slammed little Billy Murray in "The Razor's Edge" I loved that movie. Granted he wasn't Tyrone, but thats what I liked about him in the part, he made it his own, for me he was the real Larry Darrell.

Factoid:

Did you know that Murray agreed to do "Meatballs" on the condition that he be allowed to make "Razor's Edge"? He felt so strongly about playing that role, that he was willing to do the useless-but-still-funny summer camp comedy.

I hold onto the hope that in a year or two, or whenever his next great role is, that The Academy will award him the Oscar based on HIS past performances (the way they like to pay catch-up, e.g. Penn for "Dead Man Walking", Cher getting it for "Moonlight" (didn't she? And did I get the name right?) to make up for "Mask", etc.)

On 2004-03-02 06:38, Formikahini wrote:
"Moonlight" (didn't she? And did I get the name right?)

Moonstruck?

-Z

D

Ah yes, how can I forget 'Meatballs'.

'spaz, Spaz, SPaz, SPAZ!!!!!'

Haven't seen either movie, so I can't really say who did the better job. I do think Bill Murray deserves an oscar, if not for Lost In Translation, then just to make up for stiffing him on "What About Bob?"

C

I'll be quick...

Bill Murray is the greatest actor of our time. PERIOD.

late in the game, but after talking about nick the lounge singer recently, how great was the scene where bill murray does the karaoke?

heh...

" :music: star wars :music: ...."

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-06-03 06:51 ]

D

I just saw 'Coffee & Cigarettes' the other day which for the most part was a pretentious piece of drivel. Only Jim Jarmusch could make a movie like that. There were some highlights though like the part when Bill Murray has a conversation with GZA & RZA (whatever the hell those names are) from Wu-Tang Clan. Very Cool. The other cool parts were-of course-the Iggy Pop/Tom Waits scene, and the Alfred Molina/Steve Coogan scene. The White Stripes scene wasn't bad either. Yeah...not THAT bad a film. I'm just kinda over all that art-house stuff. I'd just as soonn go see the original version of 'Godzilla'.

Pages: 1 18 replies