Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Planting a seven foot tiki pole

Pages: 1 5 replies

Admitedly I'm looking ahead, but I,m having a 7' log delivered today that I plan to carve and erect in my yard. Is there a technique that would save me from planting most of the log into the ground? I would hate to loose the bottom 2-3', but want to know what to expect before I go at it with the chisel. I did a search, but came up empty.

I myself don't have a definate answer, someone else might... but...

Maybe drive rebar into the bottom of the tiki base then sink the rebar into concrete in a hole...?

Speaking of burying tikis... has anyone else done it? I think my friend who I carved the 6 foot tiki mailbox for might actually get it in the ground. If you sink a tiki in concrete what else might you have to do to prevent it from rotting in the ground?

B

I have buried a few using several techniques.

1. Coat the bottom with roofing tar and stick it in the ground.(MESSY)
  2. Pour a small cement pad a little larger than the base and bury in it a piece of Flat steel bar, Rebar, Pipe, etc and after the cement cures juse erect the pole and bolt it to the steel.
  3. Pour a cement pad (same size) with a 2 inch or so pipe buried in the center sticking out 1 foot.
    Drill a hole same diameter as Pipe in bottom of tiki pole and once cement cures, Set the Tiki down on the pipe. ( I've used this the most but it takes precision drillind with Large bit, but is cleanest and strongest.)
    Hope this helps a little.
G
GECKO posted on Mon, Mar 1, 2004 4:19 PM

haven't had to do that yet...hope I don't ever have to actually. I'm not looking towards having plates in my neck and back like braddah BENZART!! DA MAN!!

I'll carve it and da rest is on you.

Drill a hole same diameter as Pipe in bottom of tiki pole and once cement cures, Set the Tiki down on the pipe. ( I've used this the most but it takes precision drillind with Large bit, but is cleanest and strongest.)

How large a drill bit can you fit onto a hand drill? I image you would have to go 2 feet in.

B

You gan get a pretty big Forstner bit and a Long extension. I think they come in 2 ft lengths and connect 5 of them and drill a deep Oily hole.

Pages: 1 5 replies